Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mom's Computer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2024
Hello. My dear friend played around in the developer options in safari or something on the mac, and now can only load webpages and searches that show only text, no images. As well when you click a link it opens another page in the same text only. I've enabled images, cleared cache, history and many things I've found online. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1039607030990501331.jpg

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This looks like CSS has been disabled, but I can't find any option in Safari to disable it! Try Develop/Feature Flags/Reset Feature Flags if you haven't already.

Mom's Computer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2024
This looks like CSS has been disabled, but I can't find any option in Safari to disable it! Try Develop/Feature Flags/Reset Feature Flags if you haven't already.
Thank you so much, will get over to her and try that tomorrow. It makes sense. Will report back!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Please post the version numbers for Safari and macOS. The Develop menu has varied quite a bit across different OS and Safari versions.

If there's a "Disable Styles" item in the "Develop" menu, that could disable everything that's defined by CSS styles. There's also a "Disable Images" that might be enabled.

I just ran a test by visiting the URL shown in your image (sallysbakingaddiction.com), and this is a screenshot of how it appears when I enable "Disable Styles".

Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 6.45.42 PM.png

Mom's Computer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2024
Please post the version numbers for Safari and macOS. The Develop menu has varied quite a bit across different OS and Safari versions.

If there's a "Disable Styles" item in the "Develop" menu, that could disable everything that's defined by CSS styles. There's also a "Disable Images" that might be enabled.

I just ran a test by visiting the URL shown in your image (sallysbakingaddiction.com), and this is a screenshot of how it appears when I enable "Disable Styles".

View attachment 2347526
Thank you so much for your reply and work here, amazing. Safari Version 17.2.1 (19617.1.17.11.12)/Sonoma 14.2.1 I was on his Safari developer options earlier and found this, but it was all unchecked. The story here is this user is suffering early dementia, but was also an engineer for 40 years, so has no qualms about deleting folders, plists. I'm usually able to get him back, but this one has me stuck. He discovered the developer options and here we are. I don't want to discourage him from exploring, but today he admitted defeat! Much appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 5.58.20 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 5.58.20 PM.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 30

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just some random thoughts.

Download the "Safari Technology Preview" (from Apple).
It "exists" entirely "apart" from regular Safari, I believe.
That means all the settings are "independent" of those in regular Safari.
Using STP, do you now see the images that you couldn't see in regular Safari?
If so, he could use that as a workaround until you discover what's really wrong.

Since STP is essentially a "work in progress" version of Safari, it might be possible to examine all the settings "side by side" and find what's wrong that way.

Another thought (more work):
Boot to recovery and re-install the OS.
This should leave user data (accounts, etc.) intact.
But... it would help to back up before doing this.

If that doesn't work...
YOU MUST BE BACKED UP before trying this.
Use the "erase all content and settings" option (it's in there somewhere) to "wipe clean" the MacBook and take it back to "moment zero" (what you see when you first power it on).
Then, go through setup again, and BE SURE to use setup assistant to restore user data.

I DON'T KNOW if this can fix Safari, but I sense that it will.
Possible trip-up:
The problem may be a "user defined setting" and if it is, restoring user data may "restore the problem". But you still need to try.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thank you so much for your reply and work here, amazing. Safari Version 17.2.1 (19617.1.17.11.12)/Sonoma 14.2.1 I was on his Safari developer options earlier and found this, but it was all unchecked.
I don't have any Macs around that are running Sonoma or a version of Safari close to that.

If no one else chimes in, after say a day or so, maybe you can post screenshots of the Developer menu structure, and I'll see if anything looks promising.

Given the extremely close similarity between my screenshot and your photo, I think it's safe to conclude that somehow, styles are being disabled.

One possible path to explore is Safari's preferences (settings). There's a command-line tool, 'defaults', that can read and write values that apps can then access, so it may be useful.

In my admittedly older version of Safari, I used 'defaults' to read the settings, and 'grep' to find a pattern. With styles enabled, here's the cmd and its output:
Code:
defaults read com.apple.Safari | grep -i style
    UserStyleSheetEnabled = 0;
    WebKitAuthorAndUserStylesEnabledPreferenceKey = 1;
    "WebKitPreferences.authorAndUserStylesEnabled" = 1;
    WebKitRespectStandardStyleKeyEquivalents = 1;
    "com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2AuthorAndUserStylesEnabled" = 1;

With styles disabled, here's the output from the same cmd:
Code:
    UserStyleSheetEnabled = 0;
    WebKitAuthorAndUserStylesEnabledPreferenceKey = 0;
    "WebKitPreferences.authorAndUserStylesEnabled" = 0;
    WebKitRespectStandardStyleKeyEquivalents = 1;
    "com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2AuthorAndUserStylesEnabled" = 1;

The values that changed when styles are disabled are:
Code:
    WebKitAuthorAndUserStylesEnabledPreferenceKey = 0;
    "WebKitPreferences.authorAndUserStylesEnabled" = 0;

From this, I can formulate a cmd-line that will set both of those values to 1, which would presumably re-enable styles on my version of Safari. The names and values could well be different on your Safari version.

I suggest running the cmd on the client Mac, then copying and pasting the Terminal output to a post here. If there's no output, then it means there are no options whose name contains the word "style" (case-insensitive). That would imply this pathway goes nowhere.

If you've never used Terminal before, you can drag the cursor in the window to select output text, then copy it to the clipboard.

You can also paste cmd-lines (whole or partial) into the window. Since every cmd ends with a Return, if the cursor is just sitting there at the end of a line you pasted in, just press the Return key.
Code:
defaults read com.apple.Safari | grep -i style
In general, letter-case, spaces, and punctuation are all significant, so be sure to replicate them exactly. If you get an error message, please copy and paste it into a reply here. Such msgs are often brief and precisely worded, so seeing the exact text can be important.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I get this now and then. Deleting cookies for the affected site usually fixes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.