Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
Aqua is long gone for most things on macOS but in Safari is lives on, the instances are rare because web developers are working around it but sometimes they show up.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 09.46.16.png

Here you can see that the "August" menu is an Aqua control element. It has the 3D look and the grandient.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 09.45.43.png

Here you can see the same part of the web site with Firefox, "August" looks much more like the rest.

The web developer could probably change this but it is funny that it still exists.

The website I found this on is https://kalender.digital/ a German calendar for teams. I considered using it but missing CalDAV support made it not really interesting to use. The English version can be found here https://calendar.online/

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
It's not necessarily a bad thing, e.g. for the longest time an unstyled <button> looked horrendous in Firefox and Chrome compared to Safari's. Their's look decent these days though.

I've always thought of it as just a consequence of MacOS having an officially blessed GUI toolkit and so why not surface it in the browser. Contrast with e.g. Linux where there is no officially blessed GUI toolkit and so it's just up to the browser vendor's whims on how to implement the look and feel of a button.

Last edited:

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Those are not macOS Aqua controls. WebKit always used its own custom controls if the control is higher than the default macOS controls, and that's the one that has been used since 20 years ago.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
Well, Aqua-like controls, I know they don't have to look like that. But that they are still there is weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.