Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdlyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Since upgrading to ios15 on both my iPad Pro and iPhone, I can create tab groups on either device but they are not syncing between the devices.

Has anybody else seen this or been able to fix it? Not sure what the next steps are? Log out of iCloud and back in? Any ideas?

Reactions: Schultes48

Schultes48

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
For others that have the same issue, I was able to get my tab groups syncing again by going into iCloud settings and turn off and back on Safari on both my iPhone and ipad. After turning iCloud back on, all my tab groups were there.
I have exactly the same issue with the tabs -
but also the saved passwords are not syncing as well.

After logging in and out of iCloud the problem persisted

I walked to the local Apple Store experts - they could not help. Then I contacted AppleCare by phone. They logged into my iPhone, watched the bug and they couldt do anything as well, except open a file on the problem.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Hmm.. my tab groups crested on Safari 15 on my MBA don’t sync to my iPad and iPhone. Wonder if I should try what you did, or wait for Monterrey first.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
For others that have the same issue, I was able to get my tab groups syncing again by going into iCloud settings and turn off and back on Safari on both my iPhone and ipad. After turning iCloud back on, all my tab groups were there.
Exactly what I did to my iPad and tab groups are synced to it now.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Have tried that on my iPhone, iMac and MacBook - no sync!

But it does show other device tabs on the safari blank welcome screen - just not w/r/t open tabs.
Weird. Both should come together. Mine do.

Recky

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
世界が忘れた希望
i have found that after i have downgrade safari to 14 and upgrade it to 15, i could find i cloud tabs in setting of bottom right of my startpage, though i restart my computor, it disappears.
so it means that if i want to sync icloud tab with my iphone, i have to reset my computor every time
what a stupid......

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
i have found that after i have downgrade safari to 14 and upgrade it to 15, i could find i cloud tabs in setting of bottom right of my startpage, though i restart my computor, it disappears.
so it means that if i want to sync icloud tab with my iphone, i have to reset my computor every time
what a stupid......
Have you checked to show iCloud tabs?
icloud tab.jpg

And if it shows iCloud tabs from other devices but not the one you want to see, try switching.
switching.png

Recky

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
世界が忘れた希望
thank you♪(#^ー゚)v, I could turn iCloud tabs though tab groups still not syncing between my mobile device and iMac.... Do you have any solution for that?
Finally I found that I had to install safari beta in my mac! I wonder why I could sync my tab group before I install safari beta..... Is that was a bug of iCloud???

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Finally I found that I had to install safari beta in my mac! I wonder why I could sync my tab group before I install safari beta..... Is that was a bug of iCloud???
What the hell is Safari "beta"?
I've got Safari15.0 running on my Mac (BigSur). Everything is syncing fine with the iPhone and iPad, back and forth, within the many groups I created--the sync of tabs is effectively instantaneous. But today I created a new tab group on my iPhone, it showed up on the iPad, but will not show up on the Mac.

Schultes48

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
I've got Safari15.0 running on my Mac (BigSur). Everything is syncing fine with the iPhone and iPad, back and forth, within the many groups I created--the sync of tabs is effectively instantaneous. But today I created a new tab group on my iPhone, it showed up on the iPad, but will not show up on the Mac.
Same for me - after resetting all iOS iPads / iPhones it worked for a short time - now even the Keys won't sync - only on one iPhone and iPad.
I visited the Apple Store and contacted Apple Care to no avail - they filed a report to Apple Cupertino (they said) as they couldn't fix the problem.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Listen, let's just all agree that Safari (on desktop) is a pretty garbage browser to begin with. Plenty of websites don't work with it, the UI is far from great, it gets updated by Apple like once a year or so, extension support is still terribly lacking, many basic actions take more clicks/steps than they should, etc. I am a HUGE fan however of the new Tab Group implementation.

The only damn reason I keep trying to use it, is so that I would have convenient sync with my iDevices (where I actually really don't mind, and prefer the Safari browser). But if this crap won't sync right between desktop and mobile, it may be time to say goodbye to Safari EVERYWHERE.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I mean, really, I'm all in on Apple. But a) they SUCK at cloud services, which is where the entire game is now, and b) the quality of their software has just been terrible lately. Really makes me wonder why I put up with this.

nuahs

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
My issue is ghost tabs from my iPad showing on my iPhone and Mac. These are tabs that have been closed for months in some cases and it doesn't matter what I do, I can not get rid of them. Drives me insane each time I open the Start Page on the phone or computer.

Recky

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
世界が忘れた希望
Same for me - after resetting all iOS iPads / iPhones it worked for a short time - now even the Keys won't sync - only on one iPhone and iPad.
I visited the Apple Store and contacted Apple Care to no avail - they filed a report to Apple Cupertino (they said) as they couldn't fix the problem.
I mean safari beta is https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/ this. It seems that safari 15.0 do not supports syncing tab groups though it sometimes syncing for some kind of bug. You should install safari 15.1.
I was confused by that bug.....

MrTSolar

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
This also fixed mine.

Reactions: MrAnderson1983

evanprice

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2022
Thank you, that did the trick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.