Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
Hello Community,

I'm on MBA 2020 M1 with Monterey 12.1 installed. I wish to download the Safari Technology Preview but as of now it requires MacOS 12.3. I have absolutely no will to update the system. The last version that supports 12.1 is STP 141. Is there anybody who could probably share STP 141? I tried Wayback Machine (the snapshot of March 8) https://web.archive.org/web/2022031...A299-DD1C734C6568/SafariTechnologyPreview.dmg but it wouldn't work no matter what I tried - removing the suffix of wayback machine neither curl it over the terminal. I'm at lost here.

Please give a hand if you can.

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I'm on MBA 2020 M1 with Monterey 12.1 installed. I wish to download the Safari Technology Preview but as of now it requires MacOS 12.3.
Why don't you update to 12.6? It's working great on my MBA 2020 M1.
But Safari 16 has some issues.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
Why don't you update to 12.6? It's working great on my MBA 2020 M1.
But Safari 16 has some issues.
I have had enough bad experience with updating. Especially lately. Why fix something when it's not broken. My battery is fine and everything is working just perfect. Why not just leave it as it is? "Security fixes" don't bother me at all. There's Kagi's Orion but it's in beta and too raw to use as a daily driver. Just wanted to see how STP performs.

I actuially have an external SSD with 12.6 and it seems to be taking much more resources. The reason might be exactly because it's on external however I don't want to take a risk. I have tried STP there but it's a bit annoying to boot from external drive just in order to test something.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
I presume you receive an error message when trying to install the Safari Preview pkg, but you can just extract the app from that pkg with Suspicious Package https://www.mothersruin.com/software/SuspiciousPackage/ or a similar app.
Nah, I just couldn't install STP 155 on 12.1 since it wasn't compatible so I tried it on a removable SSD where I have 12.6 installed.
Do you mean I have a way to install STP 155 on 12.1 with the help of Suspicious Package?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I wish to download the Safari Technology Preview but as of now it requires MacOS 12.3. I have absolutely no will to update the system
I'm sorry to say it, but there is a contradiction here. You don't want a more recent (better, plus bug fixes) version of macOS, but you do want a Safari update - and a preview version!

Just do the update to 12.6. Then you can live on the edge with the Safari Preview.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
I'm sorry to say it, but there is a contradiction here. You don't want a more recent (better, plus bug fixes) version of macOS, but you do want a Safari update - and a preview version!

Just do the update to 12.6. Then you can live on the edge with the Safari Preview.
As I have said, I had installed it on an external SSD with 12.6. I was just wondering whether I could find a workaround to do this with 12.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.