Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poncho167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
Looking to update Safari on my Catalina 10.15.7. My software update says I have the latest version but my bank now requires 16.0 or better. My Safari shows 15.6.1, but again I am supposedly up to date. Catalina is the maximum OS for my model.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I think you're basically stuck with the version the OS comes with for Safari itself, for the bank the only viable option is probably a different browser like Firefox.

And that does seem like rather a small 'compatibility' window from the Bank, considering that like you state, there will still be plenty of people that are stuck on that version.

poncho167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
I think you're basically stuck with the version the OS comes with for Safari itself, for the bank the only viable option is probably a different browser like Firefox.

And that does seem like rather a small 'compatibility' window from the Bank, considering that like you state, there will still be plenty of people that are stuck on that version.
Yes, big corporate is sticking it to the consumer. I now wonder what would bring such decision requirements.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Yes, big corporate is sticking it to the consumer. I now wonder what would bring such decision requirements.
At a guess, I'd say that for the bank, their concern is ensuring their online portals are as secure as possible to avoid the risk of law suits if accounts are breached in just about any form.

That would mean they'll look to just about any security enhancements included in browser updates or releases. It's not going to be just that these security enhancements are present, but that they can show they are constantly maintaining the best security stance.

Usually, when big corporates 'stick it to the customer', it's either ignorance or the fear of having to defend law suits that's the cause.

Reactions: BotchQue

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
That bank's browser requirements are pretty conservative. That being said they are probably expecting most people to be running at least Big Sur which itself is nearly 4 years old. Chrome and Firefox based browsers have the widest compatibility across operating systems and is why I usually recommend them for desktop usage. Relying on browsers that are locked to the operating system is a hassle.

I remember installing Firefox in 2004, and Chrome in 2008 on Windows XP to get off IE. Microsoft dragged their feet leaving users with IE 6 for over 5 years. It wasn't until Firefox with its tabs gained market share--and Vista was ready to be released--that they released IE 7. IE updates became nearly yearly after that, and the rest is history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.