Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Safari vs Chrome Security and Privacy: Which is better?
I am looking to see what people think about Safari (9 to 10+) and Chrome (Version 52+) in regards to security and privacy. But specifically on MacOS and not on iOS or Windows. I have yet to find a compelling article on comparing both. Thanks!

SRWare Iron is a secure version of Chrome with all the insecure parts taken out. It is available for macOS, Windows, Linux and Android. For macOS the latest is Version 52.0.2750.0 (64-bit). You can read about it on their website, just search for SRWare Iron.

macappleguy8

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
I wouldn't recommend using a "secure" version of Chrome. These forks of Chrome are never properly supported and usually result in potentially more risk than just using Chrome.

I was really hoping to inspire a discussion of the in-depth pros and cons of various privacy and security features on the Chrome browser and the Safari browser ... sigh.
[doublepost=1472695775][/doublepost]I guess I'll have to attempt to get things going ...

According to my research Chrome has excellent security and sandboxing features. But it's developed by Google who is known to harvest data from their various products.

Safari is also considered secure, but there are those who argue that Safari is not updated often enough. Therefore more susceptible to possible vulnerabilities.

Feel free to chime in and correct me where I may be wrong ... I look forward to seeing some of your comments.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would Safari, given Google products always phone home and reports various data elements on each user to help sell advertisements

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Chrome = google.
Security? google? This is a joke, right?

If I need a browser other than Safari, I use:
- Firefox
- Epic privacy browser
- iCab

macappleguy8

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
Chrome = google.
Security? google? This is a joke, right?

If I need a browser other than Safari, I use:
- Firefox
- Epic privacy browser
- iCab

Google Chrome is actually very good with in regards to security. The problem is PRIVACY.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.