Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott38660

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hey guys,

I started noticing a weird style for the safari alert popup a few days ago.
In this screenshot I just manually made Safari display an alert from the console with a simple:
alert("This looks a lot like apple's developer sites and iOS")
safari.png

Have any of you ever seen that?
Do you think Apple is working on an OS X UI overhaul or facelift?
An overhaul seems unlikely given the recent changes to the UI in Yosemite but this is new and it looks a lot like Apple's developer website as well as iTunes Connect. Not sure what to think about this...

Curious about your thoughts.

Scott

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What websites are you seeing this on?

Not getting that message, but similar formatted popup about winning a free iPad, just won something else etc. on this website only. And started happening within last 8-ish hours. All other sites, for me, are normal.

Appears MacRumors has been infected with adware, either on the site directly, or whoever their CDN for ads is.

image.png

Last edited:

Scott38660

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
The message isn't important because I set the message myself. I see this on all websites that use a javascript alert but I'm seeing this on OS X.
I'm more interested in the design of the alert view than the contents. For me this is the look of the default Safari alert view.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
To me it does seem they are moving toward some more design consistency with iOS.
Honestly it does make some sense.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Apple added this to one of the latest versions of Safari 9 (probably 9.1). They likely used this style on purpose to distinguish JavaScript alerts and prompts from Cocoa dialogs. These alerts are now also rendered in the tab instead, so that alerts can no longer interrupt your work elsewhere and confuse users as to where they are really coming from.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The message isn't important because I set the message myself. I see this on all websites that use a javascript alert but I'm seeing this on OS X.
I'm more interested in the design of the alert view than the contents. For me this is the look of the default Safari alert view.
That is the new alert style with Safari 9.1.

Here is mine when I go to log out of my router.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 7.21.20 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.