Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Mine reload every time on original iPad Mini but works fine on i5 with 7-8 tabs open. Was thinking of getting retina mini, but some people said its even worse (safari reload).

kaiseryeahhh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
Spain
funny thing is that both icab not recharge, recharge less. I think safari sins conservative, I would like to have more priority when using ram.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
funny thing is that both icab not recharge, recharge less. I think safari sins conservative, I would like to have more priority when using ram.

Yes, as I've explained in several posts and reports of mine, Safari tends to close background tabs when the amount of free RAM decreases under 100MBytes. In most cases, it's unneeded.

Third-party browsers, while UIWebView (the component used in all Web browsers except for Opera Mini) is equally memory-hungry in them as in Safari, can opt for unloading background tabs much later; for example, when the OS indeed signals to the app that the RAM is getting exhausted (typically around 20-30MBytes free on a current 1GB device.)

----------

Mine reload every time on original iPad Mini but works fine on i5 with 7-8 tabs open. Was thinking of getting retina mini, but some people said its even worse (safari reload).

1. As I've pointed out above (and in several other Safari / memory handling-related posts), iPhones use far less memory for a given Web page than Retina iPads because they have a much-much lower-resolution screen.

2. this is also why non-Retina iPads Minis, while having only half the amount of RAM, generally have less unload / crash issues than Retina ones with twice the RAM.

kaiseryeahhh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
Spain
Yes, as I've explained in several posts and reports of mine, Safari tends to close background tabs when the amount of free RAM decreases under 100MBytes. In most cases, it's unneeded.

Third-party browsers, while UIWebView (the component used in all Web browsers except for Opera Mini) is equally memory-hungry in them as in Safari, can opt for unloading background tabs much later; for example, when the OS indeed signals to the app that the RAM is getting exhausted (typically around 20-30MBytes free on a current 1GB device.)

----------

1. As I've pointed out above (and in several other Safari / memory handling-related posts), iPhones use far less memory for a given Web page than Retina iPads because they have a much-much lower-resolution screen.

2. this is also why non-Retina iPads Minis, while having only half the amount of RAM, generally have less unload / crash issues than Retina ones with twice the RAM.

Perfect explanation.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
This is infuriating if I leave a tab open with a forum post I'm writing, leave it to open other tabs to find some info, go back and it refreshes losing my work.

Right now I'm using Atomic Browser which seems to be better.

Anyone know of any con's to using the Atomic Browser ?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This is infuriating if I leave a tab open with a forum post I'm writing, leave it to open other tabs to find some info, go back and it refreshes losing my work.

Right now I'm using Atomic Browser which seems to be better.

Anyone know of any con's to using the Atomic Browser ?

It's slower, not supported by the developer anymore and it is impossible to delete or edit the opening screen quicklinks. An ok browser apart from that, but Coast is better.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
It's slower, not supported by the developer anymore and it is impossible to delete or edit the opening screen quicklinks. An ok browser apart from that, but Coast is better.

Downloaded Coast, i like the full screen view on iPad and the overall UI...but it is still slow and does not solving the reloading problem. I think there is to much unnecessary animations.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Downloaded Coast, i like the full screen view on iPad and the overall UI...but it is still slow and does not solving the reloading problem. I think there is to much unnecessary animations.

Nothing solves the reloading problem, it is an iOS7 problem and all third party browsers use the same basic engine as Safari, except Safari alone has the speedboost. I still think that Coast, one or two issues aside, is a better browser than all the others. It seems to reload less than Safari and looks better.

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
The reason of the reload is the memory usage limitation iOS enforces on the apps. This was annoying me so much when I was using Chrome in my old iPad 2, but did not bother me as much with Safari on my iPad 4 now. Simply because:

1- iOS allows each app to use more RAM in iPad4 compared to iPad2
2- Safari is an app developed by Apple and iOS is more flexible towards memory limitation when it comes to its own apps.

With that said, iOS is very aggressive with sending memory warnings to the running apps. A browser has to work very efficiently if it is going to keep a lot of tabs in memory. But even the most efficient browser has to fall back to reloading at some point.

This problem will be even more evident in cases where there are a lot of apps open/running in the background. Some people might think that just because the device has 1GB RAM it will allow an app to use even the half of it. The truth is that it doesn't. iOS starts complaining long before an app starts to use most of the available RAM.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.