Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

three4flow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
every time i open safari, i freezes up the computer, and I'm barely able to force quit it. It does work with a different user though. I've been stumped at how to fix this for at least a couple weeks. It actually happened to me before and i had to create a new user to solve the problem, but that was a huge pain to move all the files in my home folder.

I've tried everything to fix it. First I reinstalled safari, then i tried deleting all of the temporary files, I even checked the private framework. What baffles me the most is that it works perfectly fine with other users.

Shiira does the same thing, i'm pretty sure it's based on safari. Also, flash doesn't work right in other browsers (mozilla based browsers) even after re-installing flash player. The flash movie wont play unless the mouse is held down.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Perhaps you should trash your preferences files in the library folder and then repair permissions using the disk utility. If that doesn't work, then I don't know, since it works with other users. :confused:

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Since it only occurs for one user, it will almost definitely be due to a corrupt file in that user's Library. If you use trial and error, by moving things in and out of the Library then checking if Safari works, you should be able to find the problem's source pretty quickly. Some likely sources include:

• ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist
  • ~/Library/Safari/
  • ~/Library/Caches/Safari/
  • ~/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist

three4flow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
yeah, I tried all of that stuff, practically anything that said safari on it..... but i havn't tried com.apple.internetconfig.plist'll try that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.