Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm suddenly having a problem with YouTube (via youtube.com in Safari). Until today, when I went fullscreen there would be black bars at the top and bottom of the screen (due to 16:9 video not fitting my 16:10 screen). However, today these bars have mysteriously turned white.

I haven't made any changes since yesterday (I have not yet installed yesterday's Safari update); I watched YouTube last night without issues, put the machine to sleep, woke it this morning, opened YouTube, and got white bars. Rebooting the whole computer hasn't helped.

Interestingly Firefox doesn't have the issue. Does anyone know how to fix this in Safari? I don't understand what I've done to break it!

I'm running Safari 11.0.2 on OS 10.12.6.

Edit: Interestingly this is not happening on my other machine (running 10.13.2).

Edit 2: Did some more testing and it was fine in Private mode. Back in normal mode, I deleted YouTube's cookies etc and the problem went away. The moment I signed back into my account, the white bars popped back up again.

Edit 3: This seems to have fixed itself. What's the bet that Google deployed something without bothering to test it first?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.