Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Since I installed the current release videos do not play in Safari. I get a black screen where the video would be and if I tap that I get the error message in the screenshot below. If I disable my ad blocker the video will load and play correctly. Also if I request the mobile site version the video will play with no issues even with the ad blocker enabled. This does not occur on my phone since it uses the mobile version. On my ipad this just began yesterday.

58DA1A3F-468F-4342-B0D0-1CDBD14604F0.jpeg

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
1Blocker X is on both my phone and ipad. No issue on the phone only on the ipad and if you request the mobile site on the ipad there is no issue with the ad blocker. It’s iOS 13.6 not the ad blocker.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Others are also seeing the issue on macOS so it may well be a change on YouTube itself. For now the work around is to request the mobile site version. This does not occur on the iPhone using mobile Safari.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
I now have used the web site settings option in the Safari address bar for YouTube and turned off the “request desktop site” so the default will be the mobile version and that works properly with the ad blocker still enabled.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
I experiance the same on both ipad and mac when using safari for youtube. on mac it seems to help for me to just open youtube again from favorites and search for the video again.
On ipad I have to completely close safari and open again going into youtube and write the name of the video again.
It is super annoying.
Over the years with safari on ipad and iphone.. Its been everything from annoying blue warning lines, videos that does not play, UI problems, pip problems, slow ui. 2 blue lines of warning, now it is a touch ui so bad you cant touch the screen without the video pause, you need to touch certain place to view timeline and with big chance you press the timeline... when i do need the “full screen“ pause it is not working with me.. I would say it works 50/50
I never touch the side menus on youtube with ipad... scrolling the have not worked for me in years.

It is a horrible experiance.. the idea is to push you to the app so you have to pay for you tube red to get rid of ads. but the app is horrible for a large ipad... i use desktop mode both for iphone and ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.