Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I am testing Safari again now as I do every few months to see if it's better than what I am using at the moment, and I am blown away by the "Add to Dock" feature. Will all the other browsers the app windows get closed when you close the browser, but not with Safari!!! When did this change?

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
That Safari function was introduced in macOS 14. It creates small separate apps that will launch directly to the website you want.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
That Safari function was introduced in macOS 14. It creates small separate apps that will launch directly to the website you want.
I love it! I hope Safari doesn't disappoint me again for other stuff because I really like this feature.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I wish it worked with multiple accounts for the same site. For instance, if you have two Gmail accounts and you set up two of these Safari Dock apps (one for each email address), they will only work with whichever the last Gmail account you logged in under was. Same goes for Twitter, etc.

I suspect this is because this is doing nothing but opening a webpage using Safari and displaying it within its own app wrapper. You can get around this in Safari by opening two separate tabs with one Gmail account logged in for each tab. But these Dock apps only work with one window/tab at a time.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I wish it worked with multiple accounts for the same site. For instance, if you have two Gmail accounts and you set up two of these Safari Dock apps (one for each email address), they will only work with whichever the last Gmail account you logged in under was. Same goes for Twitter, etc.

I suspect this is because this is doing nothing but opening a webpage using Safari and displaying it within its own app wrapper. You can get around this in Safari by opening two separate tabs with one Gmail account logged in for each tab. But these Dock apps only work with one window/tab at a time.
Of course they work, each web app has a separate cookies database.
find ~/ -name "Cookies.binarycookies"
I manage two X accounts, I saved one web app as Twitter and the other one as X.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Doesn't work for me. If I launch one of the Gmail apps named (lets call it) Gmail A it works as expected. But when I launch Gmail B, it logs in to Gmail A account. I can then switch to my Gmail B account, but then when I launch Gmail A again, it now logs into Gmail B.

Same thing with Twitter, Facebook, and every other service where I have two different logins.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Doesn't work for me. If I launch one of the Gmail apps named (lets call it) Gmail A it works as expected. But when I launch Gmail B, it logs in to Gmail A account. I can then switch to my Gmail B account, but then when I launch Gmail A again, it now logs into Gmail B.

Same thing with Twitter, Facebook, and every other service where I have two different logins.
That is not the normal behavior.
Apple: "What you do in a web app stays in the web app." https://support.apple.com/en-us/104996

Do you use a passwords manager, Autofill or iCloud Keychain?

Autofill https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/ibrwf71ba236/mac
iCloud Keychain https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/mh43699/mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.