Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Wanted to share several things I've seen that are different in Yosemite vs. Mavericks and previous versions of Mac OS X.

-Safe Boot does not work at all. Running Safe Boot in Verbose mode shows long lines with lengthy freezes, then the system just eventually stopping altogether. (to run Safe Boot and verbose mode simultaneously, do this script: sudo nvram boot-args="-v -x") When doing Safe Boot without verbose mode, the progress bar freezes halfway through.

-When viewing the Yosemite partition from Mavericks, it looks fine, mounts normally, and acts normal in general. However, First Aid lines are a bit longer and has more information when verifying the partition/drive.

-When trying to view the Yosemite partition from Snow Leopard, it shows the partition as an "Incompatible Format" and will not mount at all. This definitely was not the case when SL viewed Lion/ML/Mavericks partitions. See pic below. (the OS X partition shown in the pic is Mavericks; Incomp. format is Yosemite)

Did anyone else notice the same things?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-06-04 at 5.30.16 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-06-04 at 5.30.16 PM.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 246

Plucker

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Same here

I cant get into safe boot either on a 2012 macbook air. I have regular problems with this machine randomly re-booting (I think the cpu temperature is getting too high under load) and have to run in safe mode to successfully do a back up to time machine. So now I can't back up!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
-When trying to view the Yosemite partition from Snow Leopard, it shows the partition as an "Incompatible Format" and will not mount at all. This definitely was not the case when SL viewed Lion/ML/Mavericks partitions. See pic below. (the OS X partition shown in the pic is Mavericks; Incomp. format is Yosemite)

Did anyone else notice the same things?

I saw in a couple other threads that when Yosemite is installed on a second partition on an internal drive, it appears to be creating a core storage volume. That may be why Snow Leopard can't see it.

See this thread and also this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.