Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Is it safe to use a Apple 85W MagSafe 2 charger on a 2011 15" MBP that originally came with a Apple 85W MagSafe 1?

I have a extra MagSafe 2 charger already available.

The original MagSafe 1 charger has the cable sheath splitting in multiple places. The old sheath has become brittle with age. I hate to spend the money on a new charger for a backup computer that just sits around. I rarely use it anymore because it is a ticking time bomb (it had the motherboard changed because of Radeongate the end of 2015). It still works fine since the motherboard was replaced, but I have moved on to a 2015 MBP as my primary laptop. I just keep the 2011 as a emergency backup.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Is it safe to use a Apple 85W MagSafe 2 charger on a 2011 15" MBP that originally came with a Apple 85W MagSafe 1?

I have a extra MagSafe 2 charger already available.

The original MagSafe 1 charger has the cable sheath splitting in multiple places. The old sheath has become brittle with age. I hate to spend the money on a new charger for a backup computer that just sits around. I rarely use it anymore because it is a ticking time bomb (it had the motherboard changed because of Radeongate the end of 2015). It still works fine since the motherboard was replaced, but I have moved on to a 2015 MBP as my primary laptop. I just keep the 2011 as a emergency backup.

Unfortunately apple never made a magsafe 2 to magsafe one converter so while it would work fine I'm pretty sure there is no way to connect it to your computer. Maybe try some sugru or similar to fix up your old magsafe cable.

Reactions: CoastalOR

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I’d just buy a Magsafe 1 charger from Apple, or stop using it and maybe try to sell it. They do still sell the power adapters (for how long that will be the case, who knows), but they’ve never bothered making a MagSafe 2 to MagSafe 1 adapter.

Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter (for 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MC556LL/B

Last edited:
Reactions: CoastalOR

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Thanks everyone for your advice! :)

I decided to go with the cheapest, for now, and use Sugru to try and patch the cable (suggested by Samuelsan2001). If it doesn't hold up, then I will revisit my options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.