Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
Aloha,

Apparently the new PowerBooks have a sort of sleep/hibernation hybrid (Apple's Note). Since this must be a software feature and the new PowerBooks have a different build number than the stock 10.4.2...should we be expecting this with 10.4.3?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Looks like a nice feature, although I can't say I've ever had my battery go dead while my PowerBook was sleeping. Still, I'm sure it happens, and losing your unsaved work in such a situation wouldn't be fun at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this in 10.4.3 for all Macs.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
but why is the software is only for 15+17 models.??

so if there was a power outage( a quick one) my mac would not crash if it was asleep(that would rock and be great for schools and bussiness)

Punani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
mkrishnan said:
Nice find! :)
Aloha,

Thanks, but I can't take the credit for it. :D

Macbidouille got to it first (here).

za2 said:
but why is the software is only for 15+17 models.??
Probably because they were the only ones updated. The 12" is unchanged in every aspect.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
This reminds me, I'd like to see apple implement a "Lid wake from sleep on/off" in the Energy Saver>options.

I've turned off lid wake from sleep in the terminal because I've had the lid pop open while I'm travelling (heard the Hard disc mechanism) :mad: So to stop it happening again, I have to manually wake it by the power button. (I like pressing it anyway :p )

Either this or build a better latch!

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
cjc343 said:
I also turned off "Wake when lid opens" from terminal, but I've found that pressing any key on the keyboard will wake it...

Yeah, make it so that just the power button wakes it, that'd be cool.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

As root, change the power management variable "lidwake" to have a value of '0' or 'off' for all power configurations.

You'll need to type in your admin password...

The preferences file is:
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

so if you would rather edit that by hand, that will work too.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
SpaceMagic said:
Cool find! And cool idea Apple.
More like, nice work Apple for finally implementing this. My old Sony Vaio VX505 had this back in 2000, and Windows has it built in, "Hibernation" they call it. I've even used Linux distributions that have "Suspend-to-disk" built in. Apple were behind the curve on this one I'm afraid.

That said. I've had a PB for over 2 years (was my first Mac) and I've never really missed that feature, as the suspend seems to last forever. The only real time I miss suspend to disk is when I need to change the battery on a long haul flight.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dr_lha said:
More like, nice work Apple for finally implementing this. My old Sony Vaio VX505 had this back in 2000, and Windows has it built in, "Hibernation" they call it. I've even used Linux distributions that have "Suspend-to-disk" built in. Apple were behind the curve on this one I'm afraid.

I haven't seen safe sleep on a Mac yet, but it appears that the difference is that the Apple implementation collapses hibernation and sleep into one mode, where the RAM contents are saved to disk, but the computer goes to sleep (instead of hibernation), and the disk copy of the RAM is only used if the computer runs out of power, so that wakeup is faster in the remaining instances.

So the plus of this is that, in the Windows implementation, as I understand it, if you choose to put the computer to sleep / standby (and not hibernation) and run out of power, you are out of luck, whereas on powerbooks, you get the benefit automatically. And if you always hibernate in Windows, then you have to wait for the slower re-start from disk, even if you have the battery power to sleep.

On the minus side is that there is no way to force hibernation in the Mac implementation, so you cannot use this feature to reduce "sleeping" power consumption.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
caveman_uk said:
You do know you can just close the powerbook and change the battery whilst it's asleep don't you? (Well I can on mine)

Powerbooks can, iBooks can't as far as I know.. even my 3.5 year old TiBook has this feature. You can have the battery out for about a minute or two with the 'book asleep and it won't die.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
MacManDan said:
Powerbooks can, iBooks can't as far as I know.. even my 3.5 year old TiBook has this feature. You can have the battery out for about a minute or two with the 'book asleep and it won't die.

I don't think the 12" PB can do this either -- only the 15" and 17". There was a link on MR to the support note regarding this, but I can't find it at the moment.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
MacManDan said:
Powerbooks can, iBooks can't as far as I know..
That's why I didn't mention the iBooks...only the Powerbooks;)

I wasn't aware the 12" PB couldn't do it but seeing as it's really just a souped up iBook in a metal case I guess it's not a shocker. It misses a lot of things that the 15"'s and 17"'s have.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
mduser63 said:
Looks like a nice feature, although I can't say I've ever had my battery go dead while my PowerBook was sleeping. Still, I'm sure it happens, and losing your unsaved work in such a situation wouldn't be fun at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this in 10.4.3 for all Macs.

I've had my battery run out three times while in sleep, but none of the work I had up (and unsaved) was lost. I just plugged the thing in as soon as I realized it why wasn't waking up, and the screen appeared as it had been before I put it to sleep.

Deephouse

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2005
Does anyone know how to turn this safe sleep feature off? It takes 2GB of hdd space on my new PB and I need all the free space I can get.

UPDATE: after reading http://matt.ucc.asn.au/apple/machibernate.html I e-mailed Matt and asked him if he knew how to disable safe sleep. He did: "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" turns it off and "sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage" kills the sleepimage file. Thanks Matt!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
annk said:
I've had my battery run out three times while in sleep, but none of the work I had up (and unsaved) was lost. I just plugged the thing in as soon as I realized it why wasn't waking up, and the screen appeared as it had been before I put it to sleep.

The 15/17" PBs have a short duration secondary battery of sorts that lets you swap batteries without turning the computer off...this feature (safe sleep) is slightly different -- if you had tried what you did, but waited a substantial amount of time (more than a few minutes), it would not have recovered. This feature is for if your battery runs out of battery life and you do not have the ability to plug in immediately (or are not aware that it has happened).

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
I can verify that the new 'safe sleep' feature works with both my 12'' 1 Ghz aluminum Powerbook (with MDI out), and my Dual-867 MDD PowerMac G4. This means two things: I can swap batteries out of my PowerBook without having to perform a full shutdown, and the UPS attached to my Dual-867 became a lot more useful. Now, when the power fails, I can simply have my tower go into safe sleep mode, preserving the state its in, and in the case the power is out longer than the UPS is capable of sustaining the PowerMac, I don't have to worry about the system losing its place when the power is finally restored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.