Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Was thinking about getting the mac mini 2.26 GHz with 4GB ram. the site says its neutrual part of the cycle. Would I be kicking myself if i bought one this week?

thanks!

Aug 26, 2008
Thanks, wasnt sure if the new proccesors that came out for the macbook might be coming to the mini as well.

It will probably be awhile. The 13" STILL has the core2duo...and I doubt the mini would ever be anything but the lowest spec machine in their lineup. Heck, maybe we won't even get one this year?

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
Thanks, wasnt sure if the new proccesors that came out for the macbook might be coming to the mini as well.

apple never paid great attention to the mini

other macs will be updated and the mini will always be left behind like the little black duck

you can go ahead and buy a mini

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
They will be updated by WWDC (end of June) and will use the hardware you just saw announced for the MacBook Pro. Wait 2 months for new hardware or buy now and enjoy. Your call. ;)

bimmerfreak0

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
I could care less about having a processor spec bump, as most.

The main difference between the new and old macbookpro (basically a laptop version of the mac mini) is the graphics card and it now coming standard with 4gb of ram.

The graphics card for me is the most important since that can NEVER be updated. The 9400m is weaksauce. While the 320m is not a mile ahead, it is noticeably better, and will therefore help out with newer games. Maybe X-Plane would actually be playable.

So while some would say that this update was worthless, it depends on how you look at it. Processor wise, yes, the updates are insignificant and you should buy immediately. But, graphics and memory wise there will be quite a large upgrade for the base models and therefore worth a 2-4 month wait.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
The 9400m is weaksauce.

While the 320m is not a mile ahead, it is noticeably better, and will therefore help out with newer games. Maybe X-Plane would actually be playable.

you are wrong. The 9400m is a sturdy performer for most stuff. I think everyone would agree that the mini was never designed as a gaming machine.

bimmerfreak0

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
you are wrong. The 9400m is a sturdy performer for most stuff. I think everyone would agree that the mini was never designed as a gaming machine.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_m_series.html

The 9400m is the 4th from the lowest on processing power *the second table*. How am I wrong when I say that it is weak when Nvidia has over 20 notebook graphics cards and the 9400m is in the 15th percentile?

Maybe for internet and photoshop it is fine (assuming you actually have one of the decent 13" displays) but to say that it is a sturdy performer is only true if you do basic tasks.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_m_series.html

The 9400m is the 4th from the lowest on processing power *the second table*. How am I wrong when I say that it is weak when Nvidia has over 20 notebook graphics cards and the 9400m is in the 15th percentile?

Maybe for internet and photoshop it is fine (assuming you actually have one of the decent 13" displays) but to say that it is a sturdy performer is only true if you do basic tasks.
It was a lowend chip but it was the fastest integrated chip in 2009 and is 5X faster than an X3100 which was a POS. Not crappy by any means but hardly stellar. It does the job for 90% of users.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I just bought a Mac Mini ($799 model) and am pretty happy with it. I've only been using it for about 24 hours, but I can tell it will suit my needs greatly... it's small, runs quiet and not too hot, encodes h.264 video VERY fast from DVD, iTunes, iPhoto and other apps open almost instantaneously... iTunes is way faster on this machine than on my similarly-speced Windows 7 machine.

Even if Apple updates the Mac Mini, unless they add something like HDMI (doubtful... they'll release a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter before anything), then I don't see any small hardware upgrade worthy of stopping you from purchasing now if you want one.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I think you need to decide what you would like to use it for and then decide whether the eventual updates are worth the wait (most likely June at the earliest)
Yesterdays Macbook Pro updates have made it much easier to judge than it would have been a week ago. if it is updated in the near future i think its safe to assume that it isn't going to spec'd any higher than a top of the range 13 inch macbook pro.
I doubt youll see much, if any upgrade in CPU/RAM in the higher model mini, the main difference would most likely be the GPU and possibly........HDMI?
If you don't plan on gaming on the thing or plugging it into a giant TV somewhere i say go for it :)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
The mini was never designed to be a gaming rig and never will be ,it was designed for basic computing needs , and its good for that , but not for much more and the mini had always slower graphic cards as the AIO systems from apple and always less ram upgrade choices then the AIO systems , apple did that on purpose

the whole problem Apple has opened a huge gap between the mini and the macpro thats filled with air
and apple will not close this gap in the near future :(

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I think you need to decide what you would like to use it for and then decide whether the eventual updates are worth the wait (most likely June at the earliest)
Yesterdays Macbook Pro updates have made it much easier to judge than it would have been a week ago. if it is updated in the near future i think its safe to assume that it isn't going to spec'd any higher than a top of the range 13 inch macbook pro.
I doubt youll see much, if any upgrade in CPU/RAM in the higher model mini, the main difference would most likely be the GPU and possibly........HDMI?
If you don't plan on gaming on the thing or plugging it into a giant TV somewhere i say go for it :)

Although I am far from a hardcore computer gamer, I have been playing WoW recently. Im not very picky with FPS or any of that, and am almost certain that if ive been able to handle playing on my 1.8GHz PowerPC iMac with 1GB of ram, then the 2.26 4GB mini will be great for me. Will probably find a fan control app to help keep it cool while gaming.

One more question. I am looking at an ASUS 23.6'' 1080p LCD for it. Will I have any issues running this on the mini?

I think i'm going to take the dive and order it tomorrow! I appreciate all the replys everyone.

ataboc

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Ca
Why not use a macbook with an external display?

that's what i do. I travel and it's nice to take the same computer i use at home on the road.

you can pick up a used macbook for cheep. just a thought.

photo.jpg

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Although I am far from a hardcore computer gamer, I have been playing WoW recently. Im not very picky with FPS or any of that, and am almost certain that if ive been able to handle playing on my 1.8GHz PowerPC iMac with 1GB of ram, then the 2.26 4GB mini will be great for me. Will probably find a fan control app to help keep it cool while gaming.

One more question. I am looking at an ASUS 23.6'' 1080p LCD for it. Will I have any issues running this on the mini?

I think i'm going to take the dive and order it tomorrow! I appreciate all the replys everyone.

You will encounter no issues.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

One more question. I am looking at an
image-3160356-10521304
ASUS 23.6'' 1080p LCD for it. Will I have any issues running this on the mini?

Yeah it's a great configuration. The 23" I have is great and have no issues with it. I also have the audio connected to with just a basic 3.5mm so when I watch movies or whatever it goes through my TV's speakers since I don't have a speaker setup yet.

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but im only 18 and havent dealt with displays much.

since the mini comes with a mini dvi-dvi adapter, all i would need to hook up my monitor would be an HDMI cable?

Thanks

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
The only reason Im holding out is I hear the new mbp's pass audio through the displayport.

So its likely the new mini will too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.