Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hello Macrumors Forum community,

I want to buy a Mac notebook and after researching determined the MacBook Air M1 2020 would fit me best.

I can get one for around 1000$.

I did my research and found threads on multiple websites (including this one) where people complained about cracked screens and rattling speakers.

Are those common problems? If so, how likely? Maybe a 5% chance?

Are there any known issues with these units? Are the 2021 units better than the 2020s?

I live far from an Apple store and it would take a day trip to get something replaced or checked.

This is why I want to be sure that I dont buy a product that will likely cause issues that require me to go to an Apple store.

Is the MBA M1 2020 a safe buy or should I get something else?

Or wait for a new release because the Macrumors Buyers Guide says caution for buying MBAs?

Thanks in advance!

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
If you need a laptop now, buy the M1 Air, it's a fantastic laptop. I have had mine for a few weeks so far and have had zero issues with it.

Reactions: throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

I want to buy a Mac notebook and after researching determined the MacBook Air M1 2020 would fit me best.

I did my research and found threads on multiple websites (including this one) where people complained about cracked screens and rattling speakers.

Are there any known issues with these units? Are the 2021 units better than the 2020s?

I live far from an Apple store and it would take a day trip to get something replaced or checked.

This is why I want to be sure that I dont buy a product that will likely cause issues that require me to go to an Apple store.

Or wait for a new release because the Macrumors Buyers Guide says caution for buying MBAs?

Thanks in advance!

If you're new to looking up info on Mac models you're thinking about purchasing be aware that

1. Despite the reputation for being fanboys, Apple's customers are some of the pickiest customers you'll ever find in any market. So any issue or slight imperfection (that would normally be a total QC OK in PC land) that crops up in even a small number of machines ends up being posted here at Macrumors as "whatever-gate".
  2. You DON'T hear about the 99% of machines that don't have any issues.
  3. If you do have an issue, normally apple are pretty good about returns/replacements/repairs especially if you have AppleCare and they have a generous return policy before that.
In other words, go for it, get AppleCare and don't worry about things too much.

markphil1424

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2015
OH, USA
Agree with the other posts, I've had mine for a couple of weeks having waited until the MBPs were introduced and saw no MBA would be coming until next year I felt it was a good decision. Big improvement over my 2012 MBA and great addition to my workflow! I was able to find what I wanted in stock at a nearby Apple store fortunately.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008

Thanks in advance!
Your chances of having one of those issues will be nowhere even in the vicinity of 5%.

Divide that by 10 or even 100 and you’ll be closer.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I’ve had my 8-core GPU/16 GB/1 TB MacBook Air for just over 1 year now—the 1yr warranty just ran out. I had one false alarm issue where I thought the trackpad was failing diagnostics but it turned out an external Bluetooth Magic trackpad interfered with the test. Other than a few early teething pains with a new device the MBA has been fantastic.

I don’t hesitate to recommend it to nearly everyone.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I don’t hesitate to recommend it to nearly everyone.
I've turned into some sort of slightly crazed evangelist for this machine - something I've never done for any tech product previously... I'm just absolutely blown away by it.

4 people at my work (we're only a team of 7) have purchased M1 Airs over the last few months off the back of my recommendations. I really ought to be on commission ?

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
The only 3 issues I have seen discussed here are:
  1. Some units wobble on a flat surface.
  2. Some complaints about headaches, but not clear what the issue is.
  3. Excessive writes to the SSD. This was supposedly fixed in a software release.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I have an M1 Air. Had it for year now. It's been a great computer. Never had an issue with it. I also have a new 14" Pro. I like the Pro but I like the Air so much, I may have to send the Pro back. The Air is that good. And for $700-$900 average, you just can't go wrong buying one. The next version of the Air will not be ergonomically sloped and will have a totally different body, which might actually be a bad thing. So grab a 2020 Air while you can.

Reactions: Tikatika

AlexanderUK

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2020
Here is my logic (for anyone who is interested):

I needed a new Laptop desperately as my "solid as a rock" maxed spec Mid 2011 Air (boy was that also a good year) has finally decided it can't cope any longer. Aside from heavy keyboard wear and the lack of MacOS updates affecting software upgrades I now need (and homebrew), my mic has given up, my left speaker has gone and the 4gb ram is a real issue with HD video and some websites.

Ironically though the rest of the machine handles pretty well... the screen for what it is (non-retina) works perfectly with no dead pixels or signs of wear. the SSD is in perfect health. It still boots fast (about 1 min - which is faster than my windows machine). And aside from the odd beachball and need to press hard on the keys, with a headset someone with basic needs could still use this old warhorse.

As for me (web developer), I weighed up between the tried and tested 2020 Air (no need to wait for bugs to rise) with 16GB ram and a 1TB hdd or pay £850 more to get the 10core MBP (with AC) - and I landed on the Air. Why?

The Pro's ports might have been nice but a £30 non-powered hub gives me everything I need and more when I need them (plus USB-A/3), the sound improvements are also nice but I've already got AirPods, the Pro does have a better screen with ProMotion and more nits but I don't work with HDR so half the benefit is lost on me. As for the GPU boost, I don't do a lot of video work and what I do isn't above 1080p.

So I figure as all the reviews say the Air can easily gulp up to 4k with ease, (based on the savings) it's not worth all that extra cash when it's equivalent to half a new Air next time around (which will probably kick this gen of Pro into the dust the rate Apple is going).

I alas can't wait for the 2022 Air because my machine is on it's last legs, but as there's Black Friday deals, I'm getting my custom machine with the Apple gift cards (alas no 3rd party sells the 16gb models in the UK).

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Here is my logic (for anyone who is interested):

I needed a new Laptop desperately as my "solid as a rock" maxed spec Mid 2011 Air (boy was that also a good year) has finally decided it can't cope any longer. Aside from heavy keyboard wear and the lack of MacOS updates affecting software upgrades I now need (and homebrew), my mic has given up, my left speaker has gone and the 4gb ram is a real issue with HD video and some websites.

Ironically though the rest of the machine handles pretty well... the screen for what it is (non-retina) works perfectly with no dead pixels or signs of wear. the SSD is in perfect health. It still boots fast (about 1 min - which is faster than my windows machine). And aside from the odd beachball and need to press hard on the keys, with a headset someone with basic needs could still use this old warhorse.

As for me (web developer), I weighed up between the tried and tested 2020 Air (no need to wait for bugs to rise) with 16GB ram and a 1TB hdd or pay £850 more to get the 10core MBP (with AC) - and I landed on the Air. Why?

The Pro's ports might have been nice but a £30 non-powered hub gives me everything I need and more when I need them (plus USB-A/3), the sound improvements are also nice but I've already got AirPods, the Pro does have a better screen with ProMotion and more nits but I don't work with HDR so half the benefit is lost on me. As for the GPU boost, I don't do a lot of video work and what I do isn't above 1080p.

So I figure as all the reviews say the Air can easily gulp up to 4k with ease, (based on the savings) it's not worth all that extra cash when it's equivalent to half a new Air next time around (which will probably kick this gen of Pro into the dust the rate Apple is going).

I alas can't wait for the 2022 Air because my machine is on it's last legs, but as there's Black Friday deals, I'm getting my custom machine with the Apple gift cards (alas no 3rd party sells the 16gb models in the UK).
Same for me. From Macbook Pro 2019 13 inch I am moving to Air, 16/512. I can afford MBP M1 but why pay more and my tired shoulders would appreciate MBA, and I don't play any games on Macbook (for that got a big, heavy desktop).. and I can use it relatively with ease of mind, since it is not 2000 dollar computer on coffee table, everyone can spill coffee on..

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
No issues so far from the MBA on its own. I have it for work and it's the fastest computer I've had. I love using it. The only issue is our fault probably because we use JAMF to manage our macs and there was one work profile that triggered the screen to flicker. Once we removed the profile it performed normally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.