Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pieterslk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
UK
Hello.

Just got my AirPods Max for a couple weeks ago, started to play at low volume and slowly increasing it over time, today i wanted to hear what they can deliver on maximum volume, the settings on the phone does not have the limit activated for safe listening.

It sounds like Apple music deliver more volume vs Spotify.

Question is: is it safe for the speakers or drivers to be at max volume wireless with iPhone?

I know the ears must also be a consern offcorse and i dont listen at high volume for very long, i stepped it up to 95% volume, only one click up to max, i didnt wanted to max it out just in case, it’s very loud and i cant hear any distortion.

Would like to know what people think about maxing out the volume, could they take damage/risk getting blown from it? Or is our ears the only thing to worry about?

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
The Max should be fine, your ears will not, even short bursts of too loud music can damage your ears.
Are you looking for a way to sue Apple ?

Why would you think he was looking for a way to sue apple just over a volume question?

And I’m sure apple has some sort of built in protection from blowing them. I’m saying that, if played at max volume constantly. Everything has a lifespan. Sooner or later they will be damaged from west and tear, but everyone’s different. If you feel discomfort from playing them. Back off the volume slightly until it’s comfortable for you.

Reactions: Pieterslk

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Why would you think he was looking for a way to sue apple just over a volume question?

You have to admit, it was a bit of a weird question :)

And off course playing music loud all the time or higher then "avarage" will wear out the Max sooner.
it's a question of the parts have to move more and wear out sooner, because of that movement.

Previous reviewers, told that the Max has very little distortion on higher volume, maybe that was what he was asking :)

Pieterslk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
UK
Thanks for the answers guys. Yes little strange question but i wanted to ask anyway.

Wanted to know since it felt very high at the volume that was one step from full, but then i know it’s even possible to put it to full without damaging them, and probably no destortion.

Good to know it’s the ears that must be conserned about, at high volume like this it’s only for maximum one song or only a half. I can hear they lower the bass and like Eddie mentioned they probably have some protection added so no one can say they blowed them with the stock build in amp.

One can accedently hit full volume too when one is close to full, and it’s very impressive how loud they get.
Someone claim them to play a bit low and they must have the limits in the settings most probably.

Ii use another media player they dont become that high, Apple music give about 15-20% volume in my ears.

Last edited:

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
Ear damage is no joke. I have really bad tinnitus (ear ringing) from playing my AirPods too loud while at the gym. I didn’t realize at the time how loud I was playing them in order to drown out the background noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.