Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Right after it was released, there was a nasty security bug/flaw that was present. Just curious to those who have yet to update. Have you? And is it safe to do so now?

Still on Sierra. On a MBP wTB 2017 released just before OS High Seirra, but had no reason to update.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
To be honest, I wish I'd stayed on the last version of Sierra. HS introduced some instability and Mojave seems to be more stable but has significantly decreased the usable sleep time and introduced some other issues. Everything worked better in Sierra so I'll likely go back to that. I'll try to update to .1 of Mojave when it's ready, but if that still causes me issues I'll go back to the final Sierra.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I installed Mojave since launch day and it is the best update so far on my iMac that came with El Captain. Apps open quicker and the overall system feels a little more snappier. I didn't have any issues so far compared to last year.

Suspended
Jul 15, 2018
The security issue is not as bad as media said. Basically no different to High Sierra.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Right after it was released, there was a nasty security bug/flaw that was present. Just curious to those who have yet to update. Have you? And is it safe to do so now?

Still on Sierra. On a MBP wTB 2017 released just before OS High Seirra, but had no reason to update.
This security bug is a bit overblown in the media. It's a new feature that is exclusive to Mojave. Even if this new feature doesn't work exactly right in Mojave, the system is almost certainly more secure than High Sierra is.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
To be honest, I wish I'd stayed on the last version of Sierra. HS introduced some instability and Mojave seems to be more stable but has significantly decreased the usable sleep time and introduced some other issues. Everything worked better in Sierra so I'll likely go back to that. I'll try to update to .1 of Mojave when it's ready, but if that still causes me issues I'll go back to the final Sierra.
What do you mean by "usuable sleep time"?

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
My usb keyboard was causing Mojave not to wake from sleep mode. Now I’m using a Bluetooth keyboard and that issue has stop... there are minor glitches that will be solved in the next update.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
What do you mean by "usuable sleep time"?

With Sierra I lost 4% to 6% overnight. With Mojave it’s closer to 30%. It means I need to be more careful about ensuring that I’m planning on having access to my charger, whereas with Sierra it was far less of an issue.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
With Sierra I lost 4% to 6% overnight. With Mojave it’s closer to 30%. It means I need to be more careful about ensuring that I’m planning on having access to my charger, whereas with Sierra it was far less of an issue.
Ahhh yea you have a Macbook - I have an iMac so not an issue for me. Wow that's a substantial difference though. o_O

Reactions: George Dawes

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015

If that is so then I’d suspect the Power Nap feature. Try disabling it and see if it helps. Instructions for how to disable are here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204032

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.