Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Does anyone know how to unmount the drives safely? Tried to Google but this stuff is so new I couldn't find much. Thanks!

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
It seems like this . . . behavior no longer applies. I’m not 100% sure why, but it could partly be that iOS/iPadOS does not use ram as a cache for external drives. Maybe it just writes through or flushes very quickly and frequently. This would drastically lower (potential) write performance but maybe that is the trade-off the have made.

For Apps that are writing to such, maybe they have to use an API (instead of typical OS block writes) to handle such disruption before a full write is completed. A journaled filesystem is clearly not a requirement.

Maybe they are just accepting less guaranties around such data. After all, these are not system executables or anything like that. I have seen no white paper on this (yet).

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
My drive was constantly spinning and the read indicator was flashing. I tried to close the app and wait for 30 minutes but it still went on. So it must've been doing something... I just decided to pull it out for now, but I don't think it's a good idea though.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
All external disk writes are synchronous on iOS. You can pull tie drive whenever you want without (non-beta related) filesystem access. Of course that doesn't mean whatever was writing to it was actually finished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.