Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
hello,

sorry to disturb. i know there are guides online about this, but i always end up fining os many different opinion about it I am confused.
so, i have a cMP5.1, 12cores, currently on Mojave and OpenCore 0.9.1. (martin lo's)

I would like to install win10 but I am afraid to brick my machine since OpenCore does not support legacy, and EFI windows is supposedly risky on cMP.

So, i have read about installing via OpenCore from USB drive, but. people warn about NOT doing this cause of the NVRAM being injected with certificates by windows.

So, DVD iso install, booted from OpenCore and EFI install. I have to select the windows installer from DVD from the OpenCore boot selector, right?

Third, OpenCore x Refind+, however the guide i have found here on the forum is very complicated for me and frankly I don't really understand what i have to do...

Fourth, i have read bout making open core being able to read legacy? but i have not really found how.

So, is it safe to do the 2nd option: EFI win10 installed via DVD, or..?

sorry again to disturb and thank you.

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Okay, there are definitely other people who are smarter than me who can help you, but here's been my experience with installing Windows 10 on a 5,1 Mac Pro. Keep in mind, mine was running OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP), so Martin Lo's OpenCore package is different and the steps to install windows 10 will be different (so I won't go into that). Again, below is just my experience, so YMMV.
  1. I was on Monterey, not Mojave
  2. Trying to use Bootcamp flat out didn't work—I couldn't even get to the partitioning step
  3. My Windows 10 1903 DVD didn't show up in the boot picker (because it's UEFI), so that was out of the question
  4. The thing that DID work was to open Bootcamp Assistant, UNCHECKING "Install Windows 10 or later version" and just checking "Create Windows 10 or later USB drive." I had my Windows 10 ISO image and had Bootcamp flash it to my thumb drive. This worked fine, and I was able to boot into the thumb drive via the OpenCore boot picker and install Windows 10.
So, idk if this is helpful, but installing Windows 10 from a thumb drive worked for me. Will it work for you? I have no idea. It might be worth a shot though!

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Okay, there are definitely other people who are smarter than me who can help you, but here's been my experience with installing Windows 10 on a 5,1 Mac Pro. Keep in mind, mine was running OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP), so Martin Lo's OpenCore package is different and the steps to install windows 10 will be different (so I won't go into that). Again, below is just my experience, so YMMV.
  1. I was on Monterey, not Mojave
  2. Trying to use Bootcamp flat out didn't work—I couldn't even get to the partitioning step
  3. My Windows 10 1903 DVD didn't show up in the boot picker (because it's UEFI), so that was out of the question
  4. The thing that DID work was to open Bootcamp Assistant, UNCHECKING "Install Windows 10 or later version" and just checking "Create Windows 10 or later USB drive." I had my Windows 10 ISO image and had Bootcamp flash it to my thumb drive. This worked fine, and I was able to boot into the thumb drive via the OpenCore boot picker and install Windows 10.
So, idk if this is helpful, but installing Windows 10 from a thumb drive worked for me. Will it work for you? I have no idea. It might be worth a shot though!
thank you for your answer! (-:

although my cMP is bootcamp capable (as yours), launching bootcamp assistant leads to an error saying it's not supported on my mac, so either it thinks it's an M1/2 mac (why though) or bootcamp is broken. it might also be due to martin lo's OC. i cannot use bootcamp whatsoever... not even download the drivers, which i'll have to do via brigadier.

about the USB, did it give you problems with NVRAM?

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
thank you for your answer! (-:

although my cMP is bootcamp capable (as yours), launching bootcamp assistant leads to an error saying it's not supported on my mac, so either it thinks it's an M1/2 mac (why though) or bootcamp is broken. it might also be due to martin lo's OC. i cannot use bootcamp whatsoever... not even download the drivers, which i'll have to do via brigadier.

about the USB, did it give you problems with NVRAM?
Yeah, I at least got my bootcamp to create the thumb drive—it errored out after that point though. So idk why that is (because I know nothing about the inner-workings of OpenCore).

Using a thumb drive didn't give me any issues. I was still able to boot into macOS just by using the boot picker :)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
hello,

sorry to disturb. i know there are guides online about this, but i always end up fining os many different opinion about it I am confused.
so, i have a cMP5.1, 12cores, currently on Mojave and OpenCore 0.9.1. (martin lo's)

I would like to install win10 but I am afraid to brick my machine since OpenCore does not support legacy, and EFI windows is supposedly risky on cMP.

So, i have read about installing via OpenCore from USB drive, but. people warn about NOT doing this cause of the NVRAM being injected with certificates by windows.

So, DVD iso install, booted from OpenCore and EFI install. I have to select the windows installer from DVD from the OpenCore boot selector, right?

Third, OpenCore x Refind+, however the guide i have found here on the forum is very complicated and frankly I don't really understand what i have to do...

Fourth, i have read bout making open core being able to read legacy? but i have not really found how.

So, is it safe to do the 2nd option: EFI win10 installed via DVD, or..?

sorry again to disturb and thank you.
One of the main hurdle is that when install Windows 10 in EFI mode (the native way). You can't have any other hard drive installed, otherwise, 99% can't get through the "formatting" stage, and the actual installation process won't start.

If you are happy with legacy Windows, then all you need to do is just burn the disk, and hold C to boot. Then follow the onscreen instruction to install Windows. However, as you said, OpenCore boot picker won't see it. If you want to avoid using RefindPlus + OpenCore, then may be install EFI Windows is the way to go.

My suggestion is before you do anything, make a 4x NVRAM reset, then backup your existing BootROM now. Assuming this is a clean (no MS cert) BootROM, then even you make any mistake during the installation process, you can simply flash your Mac with the backup bootROM to "remove" the cert.

So far, it seems a single cert can't brick the cMP. Even the 2nd cert won't do that. It's the 3rd cert causing the problem. And Windows should not insert more than one cert into the cMP's bootROM when it's working correctly. So, the chance that having 3 certs right after a clean Windows installation is very low. So, as long as you have the BootROM backup. It's quite bullet proof indeed.

Of course, we will still try to avoid any cert being written into the BootROM during installation. To do that, you may simply follow cdf's Windows installation process in his OpenCore thread (post #1).

Or you can install OpenCore onto a USB flash drive. So that, even no hard drive can contain OpenCore during installation, your cMP still protected.

The USB flash drive / hard drive config should be like this

1) A USB flash drive inserted into one of the cMP's naitve USB 2.0 port (e.g. the front port). This drive has OpenCore installed on it (and blessed correctly). Your cMP should boot to this OpenCore automatically.

2) A USB flash drive inserted into another cMP's native USB 2.0 port. This drive contain the Windows installer. You should able to see this installer in the OpenCore boot picker.

3) A HDD / SSD that formatted to GUID. This is the destination drive, most likely you need to format this whole drive during the installation process. So, no data on it.

Apart from these, please remove all other internal / external hard drives, no matter they are OS drive or data drive, just remove all of them. For unknown reason, it seems "more than one hard drive installed" will cause the Windows 10 installation process fail (Win 11 has no such issue indeed).

So that, your cMP should boot to OpenCore (on the USB drive 1) automatically, then you can select Windows installer (on USB drive 2), and install EFI Windows 10 onto the target hard drive.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
You have gotten some good advice on options you can follow to proceed but I assume you actually mean RefindPlus by "Refind+" and are referring to the MyBootMgr instructions.

If so, I have gotten a bit of feedback over time that the instructions are complicated indeed. However, most are not able to articulate what they actually find complicated. It could be that things were poisoned in the thread by the first response and fits with those not inclined to read anything in the first place but I might be wrong.

When you look at the page there you will find this:
000-MyBootMgr1.jpg

I would have thought it would be clear that "A" and "B" are giving background information and that "C" is where to focus on for what to do but it has apparently not been the case. I then added "D" but some have (hopefully) gone where it points but then apparently got totally lost on encountering this:

000-MyBootMgr2.jpg

I therefore added this summary under Notes:

000-MyBootMgr3.jpg

Given the above, and assuming you actually did read the guide, can you help with how you ended up here:
The guide is very complicated and I don't really understand what I have to do

As far as I can see, it boils down to Reset NVRAM, run App A, run App B ... run App Z and you are done but I must be missing something obvious which would be nice to know and fix. I did get one feedback where someone found it too complicated and got totally confused because it looked too easy!

Incidentally, it turned out recently that the first responder to the MyBootMgr thread is actually running the setup.
I assume they ultimately went back and actually read the guide.

One thing to note is that the MyBootMgr guide includes everything a user needs to set things up and, most importantly, manage issues they may find without having to run back to ask for help in most cases.

I can imagine that having all that information, despite being clearly separated, might put some off.
If that is the case, then the guide is in fact meeting an important design goal.

Last edited:

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
One of the main hurdle is that when install Windows 10 in EFI mode (the native way). You can't have any other hard drive installed, otherwise, 99% can't get through the "formatting" stage, and the actual installation process won't start.

If you are happy with legacy Windows, then all you need to do is just burn the disk, and hold C to boot. Then follow the onscreen instruction to install Windows. However, as you said, OpenCore boot picker won't see it. If you want to avoid using RefindPlus + OpenCore, then may be install EFI Windows is the way to go.

My suggestion is before you do anything, make a 4x NVRAM reset, then backup your existing BootROM now. Assuming this is a clean (no MS cert) BootROM, then even you make any mistake during the installation process, you can simply flash your Mac with the backup bootROM to "remove" the cert.

So far, it seems a single cert can't brick the cMP. Even the 2nd cert won't do that. It's the 3rd cert causing the problem. And Windows should not insert more than one cert into the cMP's bootROM when it's working correctly. So, the chance that having 3 certs right after a clean Windows installation is very low. So, as long as you have the BootROM backup. It's quite bullet proof indeed.

Of course, we will still try to avoid any cert being written into the BootROM during installation. To do that, you may simply follow cdf's Windows installation process in his OpenCore thread (post #1).

Or you can install OpenCore onto a USB flash drive. So that, even no hard drive can contain OpenCore during installation, your cMP still protected.

The USB flash drive / hard drive config should be like this

1) A USB flash drive inserted into one of the cMP's naitve USB 2.0 port (e.g. the front port). This drive has OpenCore installed on it (and blessed correctly). Your cMP should boot to this OpenCore automatically.

2) A USB flash drive inserted into another cMP's native USB 2.0 port. This drive contain the Windows installer. You should able to see this installer in the OpenCore boot picker.

3) A HDD / SSD that formatted to GUID. This is the destination drive, most likely you need to format this whole drive during the installation process. So, no data on it.

Apart from these, please remove all other internal / external hard drives, no matter they are OS drive or data drive, just remove all of them. For unknown reason, it seems "more than one hard drive installed" will cause the Windows 10 installation process fail (Win 11 has no such issue indeed).

So that, your cMP should boot to OpenCore (on the USB drive 1) automatically, then you can select Windows installer (on USB drive 2), and install EFI Windows 10 onto the target hard drive.
hello, thank you for your very through answer!

my BootROM is clean at the moment and I've a backup of it.

the issue i have is that OC is on my macOS drive, thus, if I remove it, it will not be there.
i can make the usb OC, but I have one question: when I remove it, will it revert to my macOS OC version or I have to keep the USB always in? or re-bless the old one?

also why windows10 is such a pain... i thought about windows11 but I wanted the ltsc stripped down version of windows and indeed 11 has not it yet.

ah! i happen to have read another method:
use vmware or virtual box to install windows10 on a drive, then boot from it (i guess by cloning the virtual drive on a real one or find a way to use the drive as "real")

would that cause issue with the BootROOM?

also, i apologise for all the questions but I have not a lot of knowledge in terms of NVRAM and boot room, i tend to follow the tutorials i find here (i am very grateful) but other than that I'm always scared to brick my dear cMP.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
You have gotten some good advice on options you can follow to proceed but I assume you actually mean RefindPlus by "Refind+" and are referring to the MyBootMgr instructions.

If so, I have gotten a bit of feedback over time that the instructions are complicated indeed. However, most are not able to articulate what they actually find complicated. It could be that things were poisoned in the thread by the first response and fits with those not inclined to read anything in the first place but I might be wrong.

When you look at the page there you will find this:

I would have thought it would be clear that "A" and "B" are giving background information and that "C" is where to focus on for what to do but it has apparently not been the case. I then added "D" but some have (hopefully) gone where it points but then apparently got totally lost on encountering this:

I therefore added this summary under Notes:

Given the above, and assuming you actually did read the guide, can you help with how you ended up here:

As far as I can see, it boils down to Reset NVRAM, run App A, run App B ... run App Z and you are done but I must be missing something obvious which would be nice to know and fix. I did get one feedback where someone found it too complicated and got totally confused because it looked too easy!

Incidentally, it turned out recently that the first responder to the MyBootMgr thread is actually running the setup.
I assume they ultimately went back and actually read the guide.

One thing to note is that the MyBootMgr guide includes everything a user needs to set things up and, most importantly, manage issues they may find without having to run back to ask for help in most cases.

I can imagine that having all that information, despite being clearly separated, might put some off.
If that is the case, then the guide is in fact meeting an important design goal.
hello, thank you for your answer!

please do not take my comment as a critic to your post and very comprehensive guide, it's more a issue on my side.
i barely have minimum knowledge about bootloaders and configuring these things, and I got very flustered by the amount of tasks, cause I am always afraid to do something wrong (happened already). having a lot of steps makes for a bigger margin of error, if the user (me) is not very experienced.

still!

i think it is an amazing post with all the information and, in case the other simpler methods fail I will have to resort to this method and I'll be careful not to mess anything.

you explained everything very well, the problem is my comprehension 🙇‍♂️

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
hello, thank you for your very through answer!

my BootROM is clean at the moment and I've a backup of it.

the issue i have is that OC is on my macOS drive, thus, if I remove it, it will not be there.
i can make the usb OC, but I have one question: when I remove it, will it revert to my macOS OC version or I have to keep the USB always in? or re-bless the old one?

also why windows10 is such a pain... i thought about windows11 but I wanted the ltsc stripped down version of windows and indeed 11 has not it yet.

ah! i happen to have read another method:
use vmware or virtual box to install windows10 on a drive, then boot from it (i guess by cloning the virtual drive on a real one or find a way to use the drive as "real")

would that cause issue with the BootROOM?

also, i apologise for all the questions but I have not a lot of knowledge in terms of NVRAM and boot room, i tend to follow the tutorials i find here (i am very grateful) but other than that I'm always scared to brick my dear cMP.
Technically, when you remove the USB OC drive, your cMP should boot to whatever OC it can locate first. HOWEVER, since EFI Windows also use BOOTx64.efi, your cMP may accidentally boot to Windows when you remove the USB OC drive.

Therefore, the solution is to control which OC are in use

1) Boot to your existing macOS desktop (via OC or not doesn't matter, but SIP must be disabled)
2) Install OC onto a USB drive and bless it (do NOT reboot the cMP here)
3) At this moment, the EFI partition on the USB drive should be mounted, please open the associated OC config.plist, search 9144.0.9.1.0, and replace that by 9144.0.9.1.U
4) Reboot
5) You should still able to see the OC boot picker, and you can boot to macOS
6) Go to "About this Mac" -> System reports
7) Check if the BootROM version now changed to 9144.0.9.1.U, If yes, then you are now booting from the USB OC.
8) Shutdown
9) Remove all hard drive except a blank hard drive for Windows installation
10) Plugin the USB Windows installer
11) Power up the cMP. It should boot to the OC boot picker automatically, and you should able to see the USB installer
12) Install Windows natively
13) Once Windows installation complete. Shutdown
14) Insert all other hard drives (including your macOS drive)
15) Power up, you should able to see macOS option, and select it
16) Mount the macOS drive's EFI partition, run Bless tool
17) Reboot
18) OpenCore should be still there, and you can boot to macOS
19) Check if the BootROM version now revert to 9144.0.9.1.0. If yes, then you are now booting from the macOS drive's OC again. And you can now remove the OC USB drive (of course, the USB Windows installer as well)

Anyway, I don't know why Windows 10 is so troublesome. In my own experience, Windows 11 is actually much easier. Just create the Windows 11 USB via Rufus (which allow you to remove the TPM requirement etc). Plug that into the cMP, and select that from the OC boot picker, then I can install Windows 11 without any trouble (with another 6 SATA HDD / SSD installed)

You can use VM to install Windows onto a real drive. That's safe to the cMP's BootROM, but IMO, won't be much simpler.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Nothing wrong with critiques as all the improvements have come out of such.

When things are described as "complicated" and leaving a reader "not knowing where to start", a lack of clarity is poisonously implied and I need to try to get to the bottom of it. In every case so far however, including this one, it turns out that the issue is not a lack of clarity and that something else is the case.

Anyway, was only interested in seeing whether there was in fact a lack of clarity or undue complexity this time and there is no reason why you should not be able to get things up and running via your preferred option.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Technically, when you remove the USB OC drive, your cMP should boot to whatever OC it can locate first. HOWEVER, since EFI Windows also use BOOTx64.efi, your cMP may accidentally boot to Windows when you remove the USB OC drive.

Therefore, the solution is to control which OC are in use

1) Boot to your existing macOS desktop (via OC or not doesn't matter, but SIP must be disabled)
2) Install OC onto a USB drive and bless it (do NOT reboot the cMP here)
3) At this moment, the EFI partition on the USB drive should be mounted, please open the associated OC config.plist, search 9144.0.9.1.0, and replace that by 9144.0.9.1.U
4) Reboot
5) You should still able to see the OC boot picker, and you can boot to macOS
6) Go to "About this Mac" -> System reports
7) Check if the BootROM version now changed to 9144.0.9.1.U, If yes, then you are now booting from the USB OC.
8) Shutdown
9) Remove all hard drive except a blank hard drive for Windows installation
10) Plugin the USB Windows installer
11) Power up the cMP. It should boot to the OC boot picker automatically, and you should able to see the USB installer
12) Install Windows natively
13) Once Windows installation complete. Shutdown
14) Insert all other hard drives (including your macOS drive)
15) Power up, you should able to see macOS option, and select it
16) Mount the macOS drive's EFI partition, run Bless tool
17) Reboot
18) OpenCore should be still there, and you can boot to macOS
19) Check if the BootROM version now revert to 9144.0.9.1.0. If yes, then you are now booting from the macOS drive's OC again. And you can now remove the OC USB drive (of course, the USB Windows installer as well)

Anyway, I don't know why Windows 10 is so troublesome. In my own experience, Windows 11 is actually much easier. Just create the Windows 11 USB via Rufus (which allow you to remove the TPM requirement etc). Plug that into the cMP, and select that from the OC boot picker, then I can install Windows 11 without any trouble (with another 6 SATA HDD / SSD installed)

You can use VM to install Windows onto a real drive. That's safe to the cMP's BootROM, but IMO, won't be much simpler.
super! thank you! i'll try doing this then (-:

one question, should I remove BOOT64x.efi from windows? I read somewhere to replace it with efiboot or something on those lines.

the VM solution would just be cause I don't have to prepare any USB but just directly install on a drive on macOS, i guess i'll try that as well, since costs me nothing.

windows10 iso is big and of course won't fit on a regular DVD...

again thanks!

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Nothing wrong with critiques as all the improvements have come out of such.

When things are described as "complicated" and leaving a reader "not knowing where to start", a lack of clarity is poisonously implied and I need to try to get to the bottom of it. In every case so far however, including this one, it turns out that the issue is not a lack of clarity and that something else is the case.

Anyway, was only interested in seeing whether there was in fact a lack of clarity or undue complexity this time and there is no reason why you should not be able to get things up and running via your preferred option.
you're right (-:

i confirm you that, it's not an issue of clarity, instead me feeling nervous and anxious to render things havoc.
i should take more risks but I just have my cMP since 2012 and I would be mortified to brick it..

thank you for the guide though!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
one question, should I remove BOOT64x.efi from windows?
No. Don't do that.

But you can install OC onto the Windows drive, then the BOOTx64 will be replaced by the OC version. Then your cMP will be always safe (It's either boot to OC, or can't boot. But cannot boot to Windows without OC)

windows10 iso is big and of course won't fit on a regular DVD...
You may download older version's Windows 10 ISO if you want to burn DVD. You can then update it online anyway.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Good luck ... I've had mine since 2008!
yes! thanks! cMP for the go (-:

o. Don't do that.

But you can install OC onto the Windows drive, then the BOOTx64 will be replaced by the OC version. Then your cMP will be always safe (It's either boot to OC, or can't boot. But cannot boot to Windows without OC)
one thing (sorry for all the questions..!),

i can install open core on both macOS and windows drive, and then bless just one? (right now the macOS one is the blessed, although I found out that the formatted disk for windows is seen as disk0s1 and the macOS is disk1s1, but the EFI on disk1 is the blessed one so it boots from it? maybe this is totally indifferent)

also, i have the thunderbolt display as monitor, this smells bad, probably i have to fetch another monitor to install windows, or maybe I'll install the drivers via VM.

anyway thank you guys for all the help!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
yes! thanks! cMP for the go (-:

one thing (sorry for all the questions..!),

i can install open core on both macOS and windows drive, and then bless just one? (right now the macOS one is the blessed, although I found out that the formatted disk for windows is seen as disk0s1 and the macOS is disk1s1, but the EFI on disk1 is the blessed one so it boots from it? maybe this is totally indifferent)

also, i have the thunderbolt display as monitor, this smells bad, probably i have to fetch another monitor to install windows, or maybe I'll install the drivers via VM.

anyway thank you guys for all the help!
You can install many OC copies. In general, only the blessed one is in use (all others has no effect). But if you have multiple OC copies installed, when you moved the blessed drive, the cMP will boot from the next avail BOOTx64.efi. Which can be from another OC, or Windows.

In fact, there is a readme file inside my package, that has the simple steps about how to install OC onto the Windows drive to keep your cMP safe.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
You can install many OC copies. In general, only the blessed one is in use (all others has no effect). But if you have multiple OC copies installed, when you moved the blessed drive, the cMP will boot from the next avail BOOTx64.efi. Which can be from another OC, or Windows.

In fact, there is a readme file inside my package, that has the simple steps about how to install OC onto the Windows drive to keep your cMP safe.
wait, are you martin lo!
thank you for everything!

i'll snoop around the readme file. thank you again and again this forum is super nice. (-:

Reactions: h9826790

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
wait, are you martin lo!
thank you for everything!

i'll snoop around the readme file. thank you again and again this forum is super nice. (-:
Yes, I am. Anyway, if you have a flashed / original graphic card, you may get it ready aside, just in case the Windows installation not going as expected, then you can install it, and use the native boot screen to select OpenCore etc.

Or, you may use the new EnableGop driver to let your existing graphic card to display native boot screen.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
Yes, I am. Anyway, if you have a flashed / original graphic card, you may get it ready aside, just in case the Windows installation not going as expected, then you can install it, and use the native boot screen to select OpenCore etc.

Or, you may use the new EnableGop driver to let your existing graphic card to display native boot screen.

nope, i have an unflashed rx580. i'll try flashing GOP then!

in that case I can install it in legacy mode right? booting from DVD of windows installer and doing a legacy installation?
bootcamp doesn't work anymore but I guess I don't need to install windows. I'll install the drivers afterwards.

--

nevermind, i have the titan ridge with open core to thunderbolt display, i need opencore to use the monitor... in legacy it probably wouldn't work.

--

i'll fetch some DL DVD and try the OC install by DVD, and then I'll install OC on windows ssd too.

i'll chime in once done!

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
nope, i have an unflashed rx580. i'll try flashing GOP then!

in that case I can install it in legacy mode right? booting from DVD of windows installer and doing a legacy installation?
bootcamp doesn't work anymore but I guess I don't need to install windows. I'll install the drivers afterwards.

--

nevermind, i have the titan ridge with open core to thunderbolt display, i need opencore to use the monitor... in legacy it probably wouldn't work.

--

i'll fetch some DL DVD and try the OC install by DVD, and then I'll install OC on windows ssd too.

i'll chime in once done!
You can always install Windows in legacy mode, just burn the disc, and hold C to boot. No boot screen required. Windows installer will activate your RX580

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
You can always install Windows in legacy mode, just burn the disc, and hold C to boot. No boot screen required. Windows installer will activate your RX580
thanks!

but, to use the titan ridge i have to ave OC inject the thunderbolt support right? cause again, my main monitor is the apple thunderbolt display (not a wise choice... i know), so would windows be able to use it in legacy mode?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I never use TR, but it seems if you want to use that in Windows as well. You shouldn’t flash the card.

Or if the card is flashed, then the card need “handshake in MacOS first”, and warm reboot back to Windows.

But in general, I agree that TB display isn’t a good option for cMP.

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy
I never use TR, but it seems if you want to use that in Windows as well. You shouldn’t flash the card.

Or if the card is flashed, then the card need “handshake in MacOS first”, and warm reboot back to Windows.

yeah... sadly that is what i have, but other then being aesthetically beautiful, it's not even that good as a monitor now (the panel is turning yellow). but, it's what i have and until it turns useless i'll keep it around. then i'll upgrade.

sadly the warm reboot is always necessary anyways, the monitor does not work well at cold boot. i would need to reboot anyway cause OC boot picker does not show on cold boot, only reboot (i need to use it to install windows anyway).

the TR is flashed, i just hope it'll work on windows...

i ordered some DL DVD. let's hope everything will work!

zerom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2018
Bozen, Italy

hello, so..

i tried burning a DVD with w10 iso but it does not show up in open core. or better, there is a "EFISECTOR" volume, but nothing happens selecting it.

do you know why?

same for USB drive, checked the guide here on MacRumors, but nothing shows up aside mojave and backup...

sorry to bother!

--

edit: i used rufus to make a bootable internal hdd, it worked! i have windows.
i scanned the NVRAM afterwards and i have no certificates! good (-:
i have a kernel panic dump type A: pointer panic, do you know what it is?

sometimes my mac would freeze at login (if i move my mouse).

one strange thing though is that the EFI partition of windows is the same of the macintosh HD, with opencore.
the ssd with windows has not an EFI partition on it. will this cause issues?

also in oc bootpicker, windows has the bootcamp logo and it's called windows, it's also the first OS choice besides mojave (if i don't do anything it loads windows).

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
i tried burning a DVD with w10 iso but it does not show up in open core. or better, there is a "EFISECTOR" volume, but nothing happens selecting it.

do you know why?

same for USB drive, checked the guide here on MacRumors, but nothing shows up aside mojave and backup...
Most likely because you formatter the USB drive to MBR but not GUID. However, it is known that not all USB flash drive can boot on cMP. No rule to find out which USB drive can boot. You have to try it by yourself.

i have a kernel panic dump type A: pointer panic, do you know what it is?
No way to tell if we can't see the dump / log.

sometimes my mac would freeze at login (if i move my mouse).
Possible compatibility issue with a flash TR

one strange thing though is that the EFI partition of windows is the same of the macintosh HD, with opencore.
the ssd with windows has not an EFI partition on it. will this cause issues?
MBR partitioned disk not necessary has EFI partition

It's OK to have OC installed onto the UEFI Windows drive's EFI partition. No harm to Windows. And in fact better for cMP to avoid the MS cert.

also in oc bootpicker, windows has the bootcamp logo and it's called windows, it's also the first OS choice besides mojave (if i don't do anything it loads windows).
At OC boot picker, hold Option key to select Mojave, then Mojave will become the default OS to load.

Or you can simply select Mojave as the default inside macOS system preferences -> start up disk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.