Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
How would you feel if someone made a snide, shallow remark like "don't bother paying for that app" because there was a free alternative to software you were trying to sell? I guess the possibility of a less offensive suggestion to look at Romeo never occurred to you. :rolleyes:

Some people financially support developers whose software they like.

omnivector

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2003
San Francisco, CA
i'd commend them on their development efforts for making a competing product, because I enjoy competition. if i started to lose sales, and I'm not able to sustain them as said free alternative is "good enough" or even "better" i simply find something else to develop, rather than waste my time beating a dead horse. if someone can do it better/as good as me for free, then i should spend my time developing something that hasn't been done yet.

i'll say this quite plainly: i cannot stand restricted/nag/timeout/trial software. salling clicker is one of those. i'm unfortunately not made of money. if i find a free alternative that means i no longer have to keep cracking salling clicker (which is "illegal") then i'll go with the legal choice.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
It was the "don't bother" in your comment that seemed rude and arrogant. The first part of your reply was almost a reasonable compensation, then you finished by admitted to cracking software because of a shareware enforcement policy you object to instead of simply not using the software or, god forbid, honestly paying for it if it was useful to you. I wouldn't think expressing that attitude attracts you much trust and respect from people with more maturity.

Anyway, we're not here to discuss moral character. MacUpdate and VersionTracker show plenty of satisfied users of both Salling Clicker and Romeo.

cybertron3

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2003
Mass
Romeo

Having used both, I can say that Salling Clicker is far better. The integration, features, and ease of use are all top notch. Romeo, although free, i feel is very obtrusive and not as polished. To give it credit tho, I think it is very customizable. If it were to flow with apple's design a bit more (a pref pane instead of an app - or aqua instead of BM [or an option to switch]) I think it would improve greatly.

djdarlek

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
omnivector said:
i cannot stand restricted/nag/timeout/trial software.

OMG! Thats a lot of software you hate! Next time Macromedia release some software, there'd better not be any of this 30 day trial rubbish! /sarcasm

I've always admired companies for allowing people to trial software for free. They know as well as the consumer that some monkey will crack it... but STILL let people trial them! Amazing!

kikimus

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2003
Chicago burbs
I'll be kind and refer to that statement as "uninformed". :rolleyes:

If you happen to have one of the 6 devices that Romeo supports, It's certainly worth a try.

If you're like me and have one of the other 30+ devices that Sailing Clicker supports in addition to Romeo, or would like the additional features (such as Keynote control, or Powerpoint preview and Notes display), then it's certainly worth the bother.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
omnivector said:
i'm unfortunately not made of money.

Dude, it's only $20. You can afford a Mac and a BT phone but you can't shell out $20 for software to help support the development community? Software which you use?

You kept cracking Clicker to avoid paying $20 until you switched to Romeo?

Crap, man, I'm not made of money either. But $20 isn't a fortune.

hype.it

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2004
Hong Kong, China
Romeo is a little application to give you remote control of a Mac OS X system using your mobile phone and Bluetooth. Why pay for a remote when you already have all the necessary hardware? ***Romeo currently supports SonyEricssons (t39, t68, t68i, t610, t616) natively, and Palm and Nokia 3650/7650 by running Veta on those phones.

Useless... There's no support for P800/P900. Come on, catch up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.