Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Is using same user ID and account name with two Macs going to be a problem on my home network? I have MacBook Air and just picked up a Mac Mini I am setting up but I will be the administrator and sole user for both using the same Apple ID. I’m a bit confused under the “Users & Groups” if it is a problem that both might have the same Account name, Full name and Apple ID, User ID?

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
As fisherking mentions. Not a problem at all. Apple designed their Macs so that using the same Apple ID is brilliant idea, because they can share everything in the cloud, hand-off, continuity and all that stuff.

As long as the share name is different, there won't be a problem, and if I remember correct, when it is different Mac types (Mini, Macbook and so on) the network name is automatically different, because it ends on the type of Mac you have. (Does that make any sense?)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
As fisherking mentions. Not a problem at all. Apple designed their Macs so that using the same Apple ID is brilliant idea, because they can share everything in the cloud, hand-off, continuity and all that stuff.

As long as the share name is different, there won't be a problem, and if I remember correct, when it is different Mac types (Mini, Macbook and so on) the network name is automatically different, because it ends on the type of Mac you have. (Does that make any sense?)

that's correct; and (i'm pretty sure), if you had, say, 2 imacs on the same network, one would automatically be named with an added (1)...

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
Of course, you can add iOS devices into this equation!
I was quite surprised when first starting my new 2017 iMac I found that Trash-bin was full. An error? Was High sierra starting with problems since first minute? ...
NO! They were files I had recently trashed from my iOS devices! Nice.
Big advantages in using same Apple ID (if all devices belong to you).

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
You can go a step further and clone the MBA drive to the Mini (assuming the Mini disk is big enough), the network share name will be different but it will obviously copy all settings and data across.

You can either use a Thunderbolt cable if both have TB ports or else you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the MBA to an external disk then attach the external to the Mini, boot from it and clone the external to the Mini. You will have to login to your AppleID on the Mini (and some other services if you use them, Dropbox for example) and you will be good to go...

I use this process between my MBP and iMac...

andyhutch1947

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
I realize it has been two years since this original post and replies, but could you please if possible, bring me up to date on this. My wife and I are both running a 2011 iMac running OS 10.13.6. My wife and I both have Apple ID's that are different. We share Contacts, Calendar, and Notes and need to share the Photos App. I pay for extra storage on iCloud. Our iPhones share my Apple ID and I thought we were also sharing the Photos App on her iMac until recently. I see two ways to share the photos on all devices. My wife can not download her iPhone photos to her Apple ID and just keep uploading to my Apple ID Photos App or...I could have her switch her Apple ID to my Apple ID on her iMac. If she does the later can she still use her own User Name or will she need to sign in using my user name?

Her last photos on her iMac are dated 12/2018, and since then all of her photos are on my PHOTOS App. I moved all of her pre 2019 photos to my PHOTOS Acct recently.

This is my question.

Andy

J_Tostitos

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2020
Un
I realize it has been two years since this original post and replies, but could you please if possible, bring me up to date on this. My wife and I are both running a 2011 iMac running OS 10.13.6. My wife and I both have Apple ID's that are different. We share Contacts, Calendar, and Notes and need to share the Photos App. I pay for extra storage on iCloud. Our iPhones share my Apple ID and I thought we were also sharing the Photos App on her iMac until recently. I see two ways to share the photos on all devices. My wife can not download her iPhone photos to her Apple ID and just keep uploading to my Apple ID Photos App or...I could have her switch her Apple ID to my Apple ID on her iMac. If she does the later can she still use her own User Name or will she need to sign in using my user name?

Her last photos on her iMac are dated 12/2018, and since then all of her photos are on my PHOTOS App. I moved all of her pre 2019 photos to my PHOTOS Acct recently.

This is my question.

Andy

Unfortunately, you cannot use the same Apple ID across two accounts on the same Mac anymore. macOS Catalina broke it. When I contacted apple they said the only way to share stuff across two accounts is family sharing. Kind of crappy since I don't want to pay for family version of iCloud and apple music to access it on my second account that I use for work. Creating a separate install of macOS on the same Mac and using the same Apple ID does not work either because the sharing name in the sharing tab in system preferences is tied to Mac now. Its not changeable between accounts. All accounts regardless of Apple ID or separate OS install or separate account on same ssd partition use the same Sharing name :(

Bazzy

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Hi All,

I just got another MBP - I transferred data between my existing one (MBP1) to the new one (MBP2) & it all went fine except MBP1 now will not connect to the internet as I got a message stating: "Another device on the network is using your computer's ID address" & to try connecting again or change the IP Address on either of the MBP's.

I checked on both of them & the IP Address details were the same. I do not know how to change IP Addresses.

The names of the MBP's were the same in the Share pane after coming into this thread, I did as required & changed the name of one of them but I still cannot connect to the internet.

Can anyone please kindly set me in the right direction on how to resolve this please?

Many Thanks!

arilishu

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2023
Buenos Aires
I have a similar question as the main thread.
My wife and I have 2 MacBooks. One in the home-office, and the other round around the home.

We want to switch at any time between them and have the same information across the macs.
Maybe I will start working on the Mac 1, and then I have to switch to Mac 2.
We have 2 Apple IDs, and 2 user sessions on each computer.
Also, each one has its own AirPods.

Nowadays, both machines are called "Ariel's MacBook".
And it doesn't seem to Sync one to the other.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.