Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
What I can say from using it both ways (5120x1440 with whatever, and the full 7680x2160 with hdmi+dp)... on a Mac I find it kinda annoying to use because the font rendering feels a little bit off. Maybe I'd get used to that if i was driving mine from a Mac 24/7 but I use it with my gaming pc at night.

Honestly I ended up switching back to just using 5120x1440 for my work mac right now lol. I moved the HDMI cable over to my nintendo switch so I can play ring fit adventure hahaha. Too lazy to add another HDMI cable.

Also, display sleep with that "dual monitor" setup is VERY ANNOYING. The cable matters usb-c to displayport adapter will sometimes drop down to displayport 1.2 after a screen sleep - causing an even lower res! requiring me to power cycle my monitor and/or unplug the adaptor (or both) to get back into dp1.4 and use 5120x1440. Then sometimes it gets fussy about HDMI working. SO ANNOYING. You might be able to find a better setup that works for you more reliably though. :) I'd say, if you can get the full res working over one cable that will be most ideal.

In terms of longetivity, mine's been totally fine and I've had it since December. It is a fragile screen.

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Here, there and over there
When mine arrives, I think mounting it properly at my desk is going to be a tough challenge. I'm not sure which arms are compact enough to go near a wall and yet be strong enough to support it.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Hi I use it on mac mini m2 pro.
HDMI is 2.1. It works max resolution @120Hz.
Does your text come across a little blurry? I'm using a M2 MAX, it is showing full resolution at 120Hz, but everything still seems a little blurry compared to a 32" 4K. Maybe because of the matte display?

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
Does your text come across a little blurry? I'm using a M2 MAX, it is showing full resolution at 120Hz, but everything still seems a little blurry compared to a 32" 4K. Maybe because of the matte display?
It is as sharp as a matte display allows.
Very please with image quality.

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
It arrived today. I set it up with my M1 Max MacBook Pro. Used PIP side by side mode. Two HDMI cables. One direct from the MacBook, one via a 20-to-1 hub with a USB-C to HDMI cable. The two halves of the monitor are the same. I didn't have to use DP and HDMI to get color matching. It's seamless. See 3 min video of delivery and installation.
IMG_8263.jpeg

Reactions: Silvestru Hosszu

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
It arrived today. I set it up with my M1 Max MacBook Pro. Used PIP side by side mode. Two HDMI cables. One direct from the MacBook, one via a 20-to-1 hub with a USB-C to HDMI cable. The two halves of the monitor are the same.

Wow! Thanks for the video. Super fun, and helpful. The train is an insane, awesome touch to your desk!

I guess I don't understand how that side-by-side PIP works in general. I guess there's no way to get the dock on the left half, but the auto-sorted folders, etc on the right half?

Also, is that a stitched-together desktop photo or does it allow that automatically?

Finally, I was surprised you could drag/arrange windows right in the middle. I had assumed that that side by side thing meant that windows could be on one or the other but not both.

So many questions :)

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, I split my picture into two pieces. Then you can have a different wallpaper for each sub-screen. Not shown, but recently, I've gone to the max resolution and started adjusting the font sizes (larger) so I'm getting higher resolution text. But not everything scales. We'll see how it goes or whether I'll step the resolution back down. Not sure if I can position the Desktop folders, will need to research that.As we're at the end of the semester, this is great for grading university student homeworks. Lots of nonoverlapping windows open.

Reactions: anthonymoody

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Yes, I split my picture into two pieces. Then you can have a different wallpaper for each sub-screen. Not shown, but recently, I've gone to the max resolution and started adjusting the font sizes (larger) so I'm getting higher resolution text. But not everything scales. We'll see how it goes or whether I'll step the resolution back down. Not sure if I can position the Desktop folders, will need to research that.As we're at the end of the semester, this is great for grading university student homeworks. Lots of nonoverlapping windows open.
Helpful thanks! Interesting about using the max resolution. On my 5k/2k 40" LG I'm not able to use it natively as everything is either too small, or, as you point not, not everything adjusts larger in a way that I enjoy. I also had all those zoom settings reset on a restart. I keep a *lot* of windows/apps open so it wasn't super fun to have to redo that. Maybe there's a setting to 'retain zoom level on restart' that I'm not aware of.

Anyway, this is definitely food for thought. I keep 3 columns of apps on my primary desktop. I could easily do 4 and maybe 5 with this thing...

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
On my 5k/2k 40" LG I'm not able to use it natively as everything is either too small, or, as you point not, not everything adjusts larger in a way that I enjoy.
I saw the 5K2K LG at a store in Japan. It’s wide, but the height of the display was a bit disappointing to me as I like to open taller windows. So I ruled it out. Luckily this is even cheaper than the 40” LG.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I saw the 5K2K LG at a store in Japan. It’s wide, but the height of the display was a bit disappointing to me as I like to open taller windows. So I ruled it out. Luckily this is even cheaper than the 40” LG.
The Samsung obviously has many benefits, but point of fact it's the exact same screen height as the LG. Both are 15.44" tall, at the same 2k resolution. So you're not opening taller windows on the Samsung :)

Note that that 15.44" dimension is the actual screen height. The bezels make the physical height larger (and in fact the Samsung's bezels are wider than those on the LG).

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I was nervous about the Samsung. But, it's truly fantastic to use all that space. If you wait, maybe it'll drop in price even more.
Yup. I'm really torn too bc I sort of feel like if anything I'd rather have higher PPI than more physical screen real estate. And also I'm lazy and hate dealing with selling stuff. Offloading this 40" LG feels like a pain.

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
To get higher ppi, someone needs to stick two 32" 6K displays together. Don't think that will happen. Suppose I get two Dell 6K displays, but then there would a gap and I like having a big window in the middle in front. Plus at over 2K each, that's 3x the cost of the Samsung. Only other alternative I've considered is a true 8K 55" tv, quite cheap, double the number of pixels of the Samsung, but they've disappeared from the market. I'm glad Samsung made this behemoth so affordable.

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
To get higher ppi, someone needs to stick two 32" 6K displays together. Don't think that will happen. Suppose I get two Dell 6K displays, but then there would a gap and I like having a big window in the middle in front. Plus at over 2K each, that's 3x the cost of the Samsung. Only other alternative I've considered is a true 8K 55" tv, quite cheap, double the number of pixels of the Samsung, but they've disappeared from the market. I'm glad Samsung make this behemoth so affordable.
And then there's the issue of driving the thing(s). Especially us poors with only an M1 Max ;)

I'd happily take an Apple-style Studio Display and its 2880 vertical resolution, but widened horizontally to 7680. Take my $ and in fact I'd also upgrade my laptop as needed to drive the thing.

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
I'd happily take an Apple-style Studio Display and its 2880 vertical resolution, but widened horizontally to 7680. Take my $ and in fact I'd also upgrade my laptop as needed to drive the thing.
A 55-inch 8K TV has 162 PPI. And twice the pixels in the vertical dimension as the Samsung. Would have to upgrade the laptop though. But honestly, now, I'm really happy with the Samsung. And I see they don't make 55" 8K, smallest is 65" now.

Last edited:
Reactions: anthonymoody

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
A 55-inch 8K TV has 162 PPI. And twice the pixels in the vertical dimension as the Samsung. Would have to upgrade the laptop though. But honestly, now, I'm really happy with the Samsung. And I see they don't make 55" 8K, smallest is 65" now.

Yup the roadmap linked below is what has me intrigued. If it pans out I can get either a 39" or 45" ultrawide OLED. Same 5k/2k resolution that I have now, but obviously these should otherwise grossly outperform the current IPS screen on my desk.

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I have bad news for you @anthonymoody, I tested it with my M1 Max using both hdmi and usb c to dp cable. Max resolution was 5120x1440 with both.
Think that will be the same issue with my M1 Max studio.

@chars1ub0w have you tired gaming with your setup? would like to see how the setup works with the split cables. I still have my G49 49" and just got a M1 Max studio.

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
@chars1ub0w have you tired gaming with your setup? would like to see how the setup works with the split cables. I still have my G49 49" and just got a M1 Max studio.
Two cables feeding each half of the display is certainly not optimal. You can sometimes see a brief ripple as the two halves are updated slightly differently with lag. Feeding it with one HDMI 8k cable is better.

Reactions: adonis3k
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.