Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
For my Windows desktops I've been using Samsung 850 Pro's, since I can eventually also use them in the Dell laptops as well once the desktop is no longer in use.

Well today I saw Linus Tech use a 750 Intel SSD on a serious desk build, and looked up the difference to see how much better it is than what I'm using. I noticed that the 750 Intel has MUCH higher numbers than the Samsung 850's, but they are built for a desktop-only configuration.

On a normal Dell Desktop (8700 tower) that's used for organizing photos, a little photoshop, and mostly web browsing, would I notice much of a difference during daily (all day) use between these two:

First hand knowledge / experience would be very much appreciated. I spend 10+ hours a day using these, so even the slightest boost in speed adds up.

INTEL 750 SSD

Model SSDPE2MW800G4X1

Device Type Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Used For Consumer

Form Factor 2.5” SSD

Capacity 400GB

Memory Components MLC

Interface PCI-Express 3.0 x4

Max Sequential Read Up to 2100 MBps

Max Sequential Write Up to 800MBps

4KB Random Read Up to 420,000 IOPS

4KB Random Write Up to 210,000 IOPS

Or

SAMSUNG 850 PRO

SAMSUNG
Series
850 PRO
Model
MZ-7KE1T0BW
Part Number
MZ-7KE1T0BW
Device Type
Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Details
Form Factor
2.5"
Capacity
1TB
Memory Components
3-D Vertical
Interface
SATA III
Controller
Samsung MEX Controller
Cache
64MB
Performance
Max Sequential Read
Up to 550 MBps
Max Sequential Write
Up to 520 MBps
4KB Random Read
Up to 100,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write
Up to 90,000 IOPS
MTBF
2,000,000 hours

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
On a normal Dell Desktop (8700 tower) that's used for organizing photos, a little photoshop, and mostly web browsing, would I notice much of a difference during daily (all day) use between these two:

Only really if you are struggling with RAM. Will there be a performance difference that's perceivable, yes. Will it be enough that most people would think about it? No. Once you get above about 350MBps sequential, it only really matters in pro apps like rendering video. But of course, random read/write is more important to daily things like browsing and that, but at that, almost any decent SSD will be pretty great. I'm not going to say you won't notice the difference, because side-by-side, you definitely would, but it's not large by any means, and with enough RAM, it's mostly on application launch times and not much else.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Only really if you are struggling with RAM. Will there be a performance difference that's perceivable, yes. Will it be enough that most people would think about it? No. Once you get above about 350MBps sequential, it only really matters in pro apps like rendering video. But of course, random read/write is more important to daily things like browsing and that, but at that, almost any decent SSD will be pretty great. I'm not going to say you won't notice the difference, because side-by-side, you definitely would, but it's not large by any means, and with enough RAM, it's mostly on application launch times and not much else.

It's funny that the answer I'm looking for comes from Denmark. That's where I bought the keyboard I'm using to type this with.

Tak! :apple:

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Haha, you're welcome. Hope you're enjoying all the "æ, ø, å" letters you're probably not using ;)

it's a US version external mechanical DAS-Keyboard. I got it from a student who learned Danish well enough to use the natural ones there. But to show my appreciation, here's some Danish Bitcoin.... is this how this works? :D

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
it's a US version external mechanical DAS-Keyboard. I got it from a student who learned Danish well enough to use the natural ones there. But to show my appreciation, here's some Danish Bitcoin.... is this how this works? :D

That's ****ing awesome!

And I'm bloody rich now!
Bitcoins are worth a fortune

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.