Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
So this has been rumored for a while, ever since Samsung started contributing to the new Fuchsia OS. Samsung's and Google's collaboration on Wear/Tizen OS, was only the beginning. At this points it's only a matter time, Samsung releases a phone with Fuchsia. All other OEMs will have no choice but to follow. I for one cannot wait for it to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
So this has been rumored for a while, ever since Samsung started contributing to the new Fuchsia OS. Samsung's and Google's collaboration on Wear/Tizen OS, was only the beginning. At this points it's only a matter time, Samsung releases a phone with Fuchsia. All other OEMs will have no choice but to follow. I for one cannot wait for it to happen.
Google and Apple are the two biggest mobile platforms in the world, with Google have the largest marketshare. There have been others who have tried such as Microsoft mobile OS which was rather nice but even they bailed out. Huawei recently introduced their mobile OS (Harmony?) after being banned from using Android and their sales have suffered.

Samsung may suffer the same fate even if their OS looks and runs nice on their hardware. I own a Samsung tablet and it's all about the ecosystem. The Samsung Galaxy store pails in comparison to the Play Store. You also have to factor enticing developers to develop for Samsungs OS. How's DEX doing against ChromeOS will give you an idea the challenge Samsung has in trying to topple Android.

I give Samsung a 15% chance of success. At best it will be a niche OS.

Reactions: dk001

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Google and Apple are the two biggest mobile platforms in the world, with Google have the largest marketshare. There have been others who have tried such as Microsoft mobile OS which was rather nice but even they bailed out. Huawei recently introduced their mobile OS (Harmony?) after being banned from using Android and their sales have suffered.

Samsung may suffer the same fate even if their OS looks and runs nice on their hardware. I own a Samsung tablet and it's all about the ecosystem. The Samsung Galaxy store pails in comparison to the Play Store. You also have to factor enticing developers to develop for Samsungs OS. How's DEX doing against ChromeOS will give you an idea the challenge Samsung has in trying to topple Android.

I give Samsung a 15% chance of success. At best it will be a niche OS.
Fuschia is not a Samsung OS, it's a Google OS.

B_mark_R

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Fuschia is a custom kernel android like OS that will not be open source. They will have full authority over features sets and software roll outs similar to Apple's IOS.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Fuschia is a custom kernel android like OS that will not be open source. They will have full authority over features sets and software roll outs similar to Apple's IOS.
I get it. But part of me feels like... why? Android is already dominant... Google has authority of controlling the Google Play Store and all that comes with it. Heck, if an Android smartphone doesn't come with Google apps... its severely criticize and it doesn't gain much traction in the market.

I like the idea of getting better software roll outs similar to Apple, but nowadays... software features and updates are minimal. Additon to that, I'll say Samsung is doing quite well with its roll out of Android 12. Granted, there's some bugs... but users are getting the update in a timely matter compared to years ago.

I recall it took Samsung over 6 months to push for updates back in the early years of Android.... but now that time has been cut short. But according to that video... if Fuschia helps for better tablet UI, I'm all for it. But that's something Google will have addressed with Android 12L.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I get it. But part of me feels like... why? Android is already dominant... Google has authority of controlling the Google Play Store and all that comes with it. Heck, if an Android smartphone doesn't come with Google apps... its severely criticize and it doesn't gain much traction in the market.

I like the idea of getting better software roll outs similar to Apple, but nowadays... software features and updates are minimal. Additon to that, I'll say Samsung is doing quite well with its roll out of Android 12. Granted, there's some bugs... but users are getting the update in a timely matter compared to years ago.

I recall it took Samsung over 6 months to push for updates back in the early years of Android.... but now that time has been cut short. But according to that video... if Fuschia helps for better tablet UI, I'm all for it. But that's something Google will have addressed with Android 12L.
It was my understanding from I have read about Fuschia is it will be leaner more efficient code. They are removing a lot of the bloat and lines of useless code presently in Android. This will make Fuschia less resource hungry and run a lot faster and smoother. This will also help make patching and updating a lot easier to do will all that useless lines of code removed. It should reduce the amount of security risks as these are less legacy code to exploit. So security updates will be easier and smaller.

All around Fuschia is a big step for the Android space. It should provide a leaner smaller more efficient and secure operating system.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
It was rumored for a long time that this wasnt going to replace Android but instead be the OS that all Google ran on their smart devices. I guess that has changed.

The only reason I could see Google moving to Fuschia based on what we know about it is because they want to follow the Apple way of doing things. They now have full control of their own silicon and next would be full control of the OS down to the kernal level.

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
It was my understanding from I have read about Fuschia is it will be leaner more efficient code. They are removing a lot of the bloat and lines of useless code presently in Android. This will make Fuschia less resource hungry and run a lot faster and smoother. This will also help make patching and updating a lot easier to do will all that useless lines of code removed. It should reduce the amount of security risks as these are less legacy code to exploit. So security updates will be easier and smaller.

All around Fuschia is a big step for the Android space. It should provide a leaner smaller more efficient and secure operating system.
The Os'es in need of a reduction in bloat and inefficiency are iOS and MacOS.
I just used my girlfriend's iPhone 13 Pro Max on iOS 15.2 and it was a laggy, choppy and apps were crashing everywhere.
I have the M1 Mac and it's not as smooth as Windows.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I just used my girlfriend's iPhone 13 Pro Max on iOS 15.2 and it was a laggy, choppy and apps were crashing everywhere.
People have different experiences.
I have an M1 MBP and it has been a stellar performer for me. battery life is phenomenal. I can run Win 11 through Parallels through emulation and it is blazing fast. I have not had one crash or hiccup.

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
People have different experiences.
I have an M1 MBP and it has been a stellar performer for me. battery life is phenomenal. I can run Win 11 through Parallels through emulation and it is blazing fast. I have not had one crash or hiccup.
There are no different experiences, only different expectations.
If you browse through 4chan on its Christmas snowing theme, you would've seen grotesque lag while my Windows PC with "inferior" specs can browse any site on 3440 x 1440p on 144 hz. In fact, anything that stresses the GPU or CPU causes the M1 Mac to slow down.
Its performance is nowhere close to the i5-8400 with GTX 1050 ti, yet that's what Apple claimed to surpass with the M1.

You may not realize how good Windows PC is, but once you do, you'll never want to go back to the M1 Macs. It can't even web browse smoothly at 60 hz. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Hastings101

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If you browse through 4chan on its Christmas snowing theme, you would've seen grotesque lag while my Windows PC with "inferior" specs can browse any site on 3440 x 1440p on 144 hz. In fact, anything that stresses the GPU or CPU causes the M1 Mac to slow down.
Its performance is nowhere close to the i5-8400 with GTX 1050 ti, yet that's what Apple claimed to surpass with the M1.

You may not realize how good Windows PC is, but once you do, you'll never want to go back to the M1 Macs. It can't even web browse smoothly at 60 hz. lol.

I disagree with this and I think most others will as well.

I have Windows laptops....Windows laptops are my preference. Right now i prefer my M1 MBP over my dell and hp laptops.
My experience differs from yours. Then my M1 MBP can run Windows 11 giving it versatility my HP and Dell cannot provide. So i can carry one device that can do multiple things and run multiple operating systems very efficiently

I am not here to argue with you on which is better.....you prefer what you prefer based on your experiences.
My experiences differ from yours that all.

Reactions: alphasports

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
I disagree with this and I think most others will as well.

I have Windows laptops....Windows laptops are my preference. Right now i prefer my M1 MBP over my dell and hp laptops.
My experience differs from yours. Then my M1 MBP can run Windows 11 giving it versatility my HP and Dell cannot provide. So i can carry one device that can do multiple things and run multiple operating systems very efficiently

I am not here to argue with you on which is better.....you prefer what you prefer based on your experiences.
My experiences differ from yours that all.
My primary issue is the fact that Apple lied to everyone about the M1 performance. Had they been straight-up with us, I'd have never even purchased one and I wouldn't have to deal with the headache of using it.
Based on real-world tests, I would say it's equivalent to an i3-3220 with GT 630.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012

I heard the OS is a pain to update so this makes sense and it's also easier to centrally manage.

Heard IOS is much easier for Apple but android is really tough since I think they have to re-write all the code for each update.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Fuchsia, f-u-c-h-s-i-a.

Sorry guys, had to nip this one in the bud ;)

As you were.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
We have 4 iPhone 13 Pros, 2 iPad Pros and 2 M1 MacBook Airs. All of them work beautifully. Not experiencing any lags or stutters that I know of. App crashes happen no more than they do on any other operating system I use. Everything works together so nicely. Maybe its just you...lol. JK. I had lots of issues with my Pixel 6 Pro that others say they did not suffer. Everyone's experiences and expectations are certainly different. I also have a custom built 11th Gen i7 running Windows 11 that is also a pleasure to use. I do a lot of the same stuff on both machines and I do not notice one being any smoother or better than the other. The differences comes down to operating systems and of course they both certainly have their issues. But to me they are both very solid machines. Now if only I could find a decent graphics card that will not cost me both arms and 1 leg.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Won't impact me since I stick with my Watch 3 and S20 FE with all app stores disabled, sideloading enabled, and all updates frozen.

Everyone makes hate over Bixby on the watches but have they ever used the atrocity that is Google Assistant on WearOS?!

thread-51199300-14170025984980216245.png

I will enjoy the ability to hands-free text and navigate phone and watch with Bixby thanks!

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
I had an s20 plus a few months ago, good phone but riddled with Google apps and my bank website wouldn’t work with the Samsung browser.
Doesn't your bank have an app? Regardless, I access anything I consider sensitive, like banking or anything regarding my financials, medical, or government related business through Samsung's secure folder. There's nothing more secure on any device, than Samsung's secure folder. I've shown this option to many Samsung users, and most didn't know it existed. Samsung needs to do a better job at advertising it. Reviewers who claim security is such a big issue, also need to discuss it more.

BigPotatoLobbyist

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2020
First of all, Fuchsia is not a true microkernel and borrows from both monolithic and microkernel heritage. That is directly the statement from the Fuchsia & Zircon developers themselves.

Second of all, it is BSD-licensed, but it is still open source, ipso facto. Google have even explicitly discussed designing the core operating system around a modular, generic template of sorts such that e.g. Amazon could "plug in" Alexa to the native frameworks for the Assistant functionality. Probably some of this is Google being Google — and being relatively open in their laissez faire attitude toward letting open source engineers do what their heart's desire - and I imagine some of it is about anticompetitive deniability in the case of future antitrust suits (unrelated to Fuchsia, which isn't anticompetitive of them to architect at all despite Nix neckbeard tears, but that's not the point).

Third, the primary goal is to design a new operating system from scratch with a relatively stable ABI and without some of the mistakes of Unix and the NT Kernel — and indeed some of the architecture is laid out in this modularised manner. Moreover, by avoiding GPL & the copyleft licensing that plagues Linux, they knock out a potent barrier to properly upstreaming & releasing OEM drivers.
Wishcasting Linux developers in a tizzy will air out ******** about how "in an ideal world firms would just upstream all their drivers and in doing so open source them" but it's never going to happen at the scale anyone wants, and since the Linux Kernel is refactored without regard for driver interface names used in previous releases, this makes distributing updates independently of a driver's update painful to say the least. There are ways around this, Google's Mainline & Android GKI (mandatory in A12) has been dedicated to doing so, but the success has clearly been limited and thus it's very obvious why Google would want to start anew sans legacies.

There is a lot more truth to the idea that iOS and MacOS are bloated than I think most want to acknowldge. Windows on equivalent hardware really does run smoother. Just take an intel MacBook or even similar generation i5 laptop vs a MacBook with an i5 - even with Iris graphics, Mac OS just chugs, and even on an M1 it feels that way.

It's been like this for years, since Windows 8/10 in terms of performance. The fisher price eye-candy GPU shading and and small army of MacOS daemons and irrevocably installed first-party applications or memory/kernel panics are just absurd. Windows is just lighter, Windows defender aside.

Years were spent talking up storms about ill-defined optimization techniques with regard to Apple's products. While it was true Apple's iOS displayed frame tracking and touch latency response was superior to Android and really still is, Windows Phone proved this wasn't necessarily about vertical integration - the touch response latency was similar to Android but the actual frames animated on response to scrolling felt much more natural.

Anyways, overlooked was and remains the *benefit* Microsoft and Google's teams have in that there exists pressure toward designing with lowest-common denominators in mind - and in fact as of Android 12 and Windows 11 as opposed to Monterey and iOS 15, it's frankly alarming how obvious it is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.