Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If Samsung offered better customer care and 3 or more year updates, would you switch!?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Let me firstly say that I want the premise of this thread to serve as a Wiki of sorts or better still a glimpse into the life of an average Galaxy/Note user (specifically 10 and above) in real world day to day use cases. If you currently or previously were an iPhone user that's even better.

Now, with all that said, let me say I was THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED with Samsung Note 10 launch event yesterday. I actually think I'm going to have to watch again.

Dual Sim, S-Pen, TOF Camera, WQHD, Dex, Fast Wired/Wireless Charging, Windows Pass Through, Insane Screen Body Ratio, Handwriting to Text, Full Video Editing Suite, etc...

I would like everything from Carrier specific ownership of Samsung devices, to experiences purchasing from Samsung directly.

Too, I have one specific question for those that have kept their Samsung devices for more than 2 years, how do you contend with not receiving the latest Android version!? Ex. the Note 10 won't go beyond Android "R" in 2021. If I wanted to keep a Note 10 beyond 2021, what remedies if any are there to this perceived problem!?

Before I could ever truly move on from iPhone, I would need to know the ins and outs of Android via Samsung hardware, I'm hope you guys can help with that and that this can serve as a MEGA-THREAD of sorts for iPhone users that are open to the idea of switching someday.

TIA!!!

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If they reduce their prices, sure. Samsung's competition is with the cheap flagships from China, which offer 80-90% of the spec with half the price. Lucky for Samsung, Trump is helping them with the china trade war, thus I'm sure some people gets wary of buying a Chinese phone.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No I don’t think I’d switch because there’s a bit more privacy or at least a respite from marketing on an iPhone vs a Samsung. Samsung is all about promoting its partnerships. And I do like iOS and iMessage and yeah even Apple maps. I like my Apple Watch. I’m fortunate I can walk the line between both sides.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh I almost forgot, Samsung really needs to stop giving some regions some colors and not others. They go up there on the stage at the Unpacked Event and announce all these gorgeous colors. Some people fall in love with a particular color and find out their country won’t get that. Lame.

Fortunately this time I liked all the available Note 10 colors pretty equally.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Samsung would be at the bottom of my suggested Android devices for an iOS user considering a convert.

The Pixel line or OnePlus would be much better experiences coming from iOS.

Just my take from someone that dabbles in both worlds.

Vally1945

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2019
Palm Springs, CA
Samsung would be at the bottom of my suggested Android devices for an iOS user considering a convert.

I don't plan on switching anytime soon, but the only thing draws my attention is probably Google phone.

Reactions: Wide opeN

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't plan on switching anytime soon, but the only thing draws my attention is probably Google phone.
Same here. I have had four Google Phones in the past. They're great devices from a software prospective, but the hardware is certainly lacking.

If there were such thing as a Galaxy Pixel that would be cool (Pixel Hardware with Google Pixel's brand of Android)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
This board is the wrong place to find people keeping their phones that long, bunch of addicts here!
This. I’ve not kept my phone for more than a year since 2012. In fact when I was on android I was even worse. I’d go through 2-3 phones a year.

Reactions: 5105973

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia

Those are absolutely my first two choices if and when I get an alternate to my iPhone. It's such a tragedy though, as all of Samsung woes seem to be self inflicted.

Separately, is there an Android equivalent to Quick Reply on Android yet!? If so, anything similar to Tapback (the annotations like heart, thumbs up, etc...) included!?

When I think about switching, or even playing around these are the little things that come to mind.

Reactions: Cnasty

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Longevity of iOS updates are more important than longevity Android and Samsung updates. This is simply because Android and Samsung can update system apps/features as well as adding new ones, without a firmware update. Once Apple stops supporting a device, thats it, not a single thing expect store apps will update.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Longevity of iOS updates are more important than longevity Android and Samsung updates. This is simply because Android and Samsung can update system apps/features as well as adding new ones, without a firmware update. Once Apple stops supporting a device, thats it, not a single thing expect store apps will update.
By the time an iOS device goes out of support (particularly iPhone), the equivalent Samsung device no longer runs.

For example, the iPhone 5s, which is moving out of support this year (so still getting software updates) was released in 2013. That same year, Samsung released the Galaxy S5 and Google released the Nexus 5. Neither of those devices are even usable today.

There's really no defending Samsung and Google's update policies against Apple because Samsung and Google don't make phones which last that long.

Here's the thing that's super weird, though: Google and Samsung can't keep their devices running for opposite reasons. Google can't make hardware solid enough and Samsung abandons the software prematurely.

Again, the answer is Galaxy Pixel, but that won't ever happen.

Reactions: Wide opeN

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
By the time an iOS device goes out of support (particularly iPhone), the equivalent Samsung device no longer runs.

For example, the iPhone 5s, which is moving out of support this year (so still getting software updates) was released in 2013. That same year, Samsung released the Galaxy S5 and Google released the Nexus 5. Neither of those devices are even usable today.

Those Android devices are still usable, but not for much with official firmware. But a custom rom will make them very usable.

And that's the same with the iPhone 5S, it's very sluggish on iOS12. You would have to jailbreak for slightly better performance. But you're stuck with iOS12, with tons of missing features.

Anyways, that 6 (going on 7 years). Not a good example.

There's really no defending Samsung and Google's update policies against Apple because Samsung and Google don't make phones which last that long.

I would say the average life span for an Android phone is 4 years, before it becomes truly outdated. IMO, that's long enough.

My issue is people are complaining about the timing of updates, when they have a perfectly working phone. Sure I would also like the latest Android version as soon as it's released on my S10+, but choosing a Pixel over a Samsung because of updates would be a geeky OCD decision. Something 98% of users would not base their choice on.

Here's the thing that's super weird, though: Google and Samsung can't keep their devices running for opposite reasons. Google can't make hardware solid enough and Samsung abandons the software prematurely.

I agree to a point.

But with One UI, Samsung's finally got it right. They just need to kill Bixby, cause nobody seems to want it. Everything else seems to be on a positive note.

Most people don't want vanilla Android. Many of the features Google has copied from Samsung, it's still done better on Samsung phones.

The lag and stutter on Samsung devices is pretty much a thing of the past now. So there's really no performance advantage for going vanilla.

I'm not going to lie ...... I don't have much faith yet with the whole Samsung/Microsoft partnership. Hoping Samsung's continuity with Windows 10, doesn't turn out to be a dud.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I’ve used an S5 recently and it is useable. It’s currently being used by my husband’s mother. My dad still had a note 4 which came out it 2014 as a second phone and it still works.

Reactions: Roadstar

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Really does depend what you want out of your phone i guess. I think updates, support are two areas samsung can’t match apple...well nobody can really.

Price via carriers for example is where even the note 10 plus is cheaper than the max.

My max costs 90 a month on an annual upgrade but due to 5G the difference between a 256 max and a 256GB note plus 5G is £1 per month difference...But yes thats 5G to 4G...and on 4G the EE tariff is still looking at £84 a month. So really not much difference.

Sadly EE won’t let you use the 20% discount perk on 5G plans...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Really does depend what you want out of your phone i guess. I think updates, support are two areas samsung can’t match apple...well nobody can really.

Price via carriers for example is where even the note 10 plus is cheaper than the max.

My max costs 90 a month on an annual upgrade but due to 5G the difference between a 256 max and a 256GB note plus 5G is £1 per month difference...But yes thats 5G to 4G...and on 4G the EE tariff is still looking at £84 a month. So really not much difference.

Sadly EE won’t let you use the 20% discount perk on 5G plans...
On O2 you can get the note 10+ 5G (256GB) for £64 a month. I’m paying. I’m paying £75 a month for my 256GB Xs max.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Ok so I just came back from Best Buy reviewing the Note 10. And while impressive... IT'S STILL TEAM iPhone for me.

With that said, the device is very impressive. The screen is SUPER IMMERSIVE!!!

However, I soon realized I just don't have the time or resources to up end my lifestyle by getting this phone; after reviewing, nor would I want to. That's not a knock, but my preference.

iPhone fit and finish still remain the best. Aesthics are huge for me, and this phone still doesn't match my Xs Max. The Note 10 screen is more vibrant than my Xs Max and makes even the Xs Max feel small. The hole punch was a non-issue.

I can't get behind the square shape of the phone. Wasn't able to test the S-Pen thoroughly as it was locked down and the phone was in display mode.

Overall I think Samsung fans will be pleased. It's not for me though. Guess I'm looking forward to September for my next tech fix.

2189829D-B692-48AE-BC94-D18128145FA3.jpeg
82088A5F-433E-41B7-AAE9-D7F3C4A6BDFC.jpeg
8ADD726F-860E-401E-BB0C-D04BACCAEAA6.jpeg

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Even the tech you tubers are pretty stale on this device and it offers minimal growth or benefit over the S line.
There isn’t much benefit over the S10 +. However if you are coming from an older Samsung phone then there are some features worth upgrading for. I think it’s jsut becoming more and more difficult for them to fully differentiate Note and S lines.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Let me firstly say that I want the premise of this thread to serve as a Wiki of sorts or better still a glimpse into the life of an average Galaxy/Note user (specifically 10 and above) in real world day to day use cases. If you currently or previously were an iPhone user that's even better.

Now, with all that said, let me say I was THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED with Samsung Note 10 launch event yesterday. I actually think I'm going to have to watch again.

Dual Sim, S-Pen, TOF Camera, WQHD, Dex, Fast Wired/Wireless Charging, Windows Pass Through, Insane Screen Body Ratio, Handwriting to Text, Full Video Editing Suite, etc...

I would like everything from Carrier specific ownership of Samsung devices, to experiences purchasing from Samsung directly.

Too, I have one specific question for those that have kept their Samsung devices for more than 2 years, how do you contend with not receiving the latest Android version!? Ex. the Note 10 won't go beyond Android "R" in 2021. If I wanted to keep a Note 10 beyond 2021, what remedies if any are there to this perceived problem!?

Before I could ever truly move on from iPhone, I would need to know the ins and outs of Android via Samsung hardware, I'm hope you guys can help with that and that this can serve as a MEGA-THREAD of sorts for iPhone users that are open to the idea of switching someday.

TIA!!!

I have owned most Samsung Flagships from Galaxy S2 up until the Galaxy Note8, all of which were fantastic.

Samsung really work in their on silo in Android , they bring features long before Google brings them natively to Android and in that way it makes it easy to bare the fact that you will not get more than 2-3 OS updates with a particular model.

My Galaxy Note8 was bought via Vodacom (Vodafone South Africa) on launch in 2017, and in thoroughly enjoyed that beast, to this day it’s still a top device, with little to no compromise. I gave it to my mother who uses it alongside her Apple iPhone X.

The Galaxy Note8 is now 2 years old and still gets monthly Security Updates, however at some point it will be dropped to Quarterly updates.

If you want to get a good idea of Samsung support have a look at the link below, Samsung are still supporting the 3 year old Galaxy S7 range but have dropped them to Quarterly updates now:
https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_has_..._for_the_galaxy_s7_and_s7_edge-news-38546.php

So expect around 3 years worth updates, from there you can if possible root your Android and start exploring with Custom ROMs to keep it running fast and running the latest OS, as that point it will be out of warranty, you can try all sorts of ROMa and Kernels to see what suits your needs.

Most people in this forum do not keep their Androids more than a year, there are folks in this part of the forum that will own every Android flagship in a year, keeping each for a few weeks to a few months maximum, you just need to look at some of the 2018/2019 Android Phone threads to see that most don’t stick to their Droid for too long, but the few that do tend to be quite happy.

My Galaxy S7 Edge is still around somewhere, need to get it out and update and see how it runs

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
What's so impressive about this thing? Is the S-pen as good as Apple Pencil? Can I sketch with it? Can it keep up with my handwriting? If not it's not going to be that useful. And the software Samsung has always had to support it has been half baked, slow, and inconsistent.

If I were to get a Samsung phone it would be the S10e, that's the limit on what I'm willing to spend for a Samsung or even an Android phone, and even then I'd be making compromises with Android.

Hardware on modern phones is generally very good across the board and the designs have all stagnated at a similar look. Hardware will never be a reason why I switch from iPhone to Samsung or anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.