Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Yeah, I figured that out as well. Note the commenter was looking for a display and not an entirely new computer.
Yes note the ability to have seamless synchronization between Apple devices.

I do like making comments that are both provocative/humorous while being practical and serious at the same time.

Obviously one can think of ways my post would not work for their needs.

Last edited:

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Yes, but what's different with ASD vs. your monitor or others is its dependency on iDevice hardware. What iDevice hardware from even 5 years old is still actively supported by Apple? We know the general "vintaging" window is 7 years. Does Apple maintain software for old iDevice hardware for 10 years for this ONE thing? I don't know. We'll all find out in about 7-8 more years if not sooner.

What we do know is Apple makes the bulk of that "record revenue" by rapidly turning over iPhones. Today's "latest & greatest" will be "long in tooth" in only a few years. It's in Apple's financial interests to turn those over as fast as possible. With iDevice guts at the heart of ASD, is it in that club or not? Nobody knows outside of Apple. But one corporate choice drives more revenue and the other doesn't.

Now, that conspiracy shared, nothing says that this Samsung monitor could not have the same kind of obsolescence scenario too. Both are "smart monitors" and much like "smart speakers," that can be good or bad. I look at how HomePod 2 could not stereo sync with Home Pod 1 still sold barely a year earlier and think "what would modern Apple do?"
The iPhone 5s got a "final" update close to its 10th birthday.

• Wow
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Alex.ne

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
Just a correction - the M8 is 32", not 27". There's a bit of a difference there...
Correction: there is a 27inch version of M8 indeed.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-04-12 à 17.04.39.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-04-12 à 17.04.39.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.