Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
Well I'm pretty gutted about this as i use Samsung Dex on my M1 Macbook to transfer files, pictures & videos from my S21 Ultra, as it's the easiest way to do this without fiddling around with 3rd party software, that i'll either more likely have to pay for & get a stupid subscription to, unless there is some good free software out there. :/

It only be a matter of time once support has finished & with updates to Mac OS that it stop working completely.

Reactions: KeniLF

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That's unfortunate. I never really been a fan of using Samsung DeX on macOS or Windows... the optimization is not as seamless compared to being plugged directly to a monitor. But I do agree it is a good option to transfer files or photos/videos.

I'm a Fold and iPad user... I use Google Drive often to transfer photos/videos between the two (for iCloud Photos). Since my primary form of communication is through iMessage, transfer photos/videos to my iPad if I want to share them via iMessage. Perhaps that could be an option for you.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
Yeah found out this morning when i got an update for Dex, got a popup saying it. :(

I use Google Drive to, but with Dex i can can go into the folders & subfolders on my S21 easily, so i can add custom notifications, add music ect ect.

I only ever really use Dex as an OS on my Tab S7+.

Last edited:
Reactions: valinda

johnjkjk

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
Hi do you know why support has been dropped, is it due to Apple resisting? I think Dex is the future, at least for a portable desktop experience. I'm waiting for Samsung to make a genuine compact flagship that can do Dex.

If it helps someone here recently suggested SnapDrop, which works seamlessly between platforms.

PS. related to file transfer, is there any easy way to do this the other way around, viewing files and folders on iPhone using a PC, without iTunes. Don't mean to change subject of this thread, just been struggling to find a way.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I use Google Drive to, but with Dex i can can go into the folders & subfolders on my S21 easily, so i can add custom notifications, add music ect ect.
I’m sure Dex is a solid solution for the way you transfer various files…. I personally find Drive much more convenient than plugging my cable to the computer. Then theres Share Manager under HomeUp (Good Lock) to help with managing Google Drive folders on my Fold, that way I can quickly transfer photos/videos.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I’m sure Dex is a solid solution for the way you transfer various files…. I personally find Drive much more convenient than plugging my cable to the computer. Then theres Share Manager under HomeUp (Good Lock) to help with managing Google Drive folders on my Fold, that way I can quickly transfer photos/videos.

Drive is convenient with small files. But larger files like videos take time, and that's sucks if you want to transfer for immediate use.

Reactions: ian87w

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Drive is convenient with small files. But larger files like videos take time, and that's sucks if you want to transfer for immediate use.
I agree. I tend to use a flash drive for larger files, the point I was trying to make is that there are other solutions.

I wish they brought this to iOS
I wish Android and iOS had some standard where both can talk to each other. Instead having to try workarounds… Samsung has Quick Share, Google uses Nearby Share.. then theres AirDrop from Apple.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I agree. I tend to use a flash drive for larger files, the point I was trying to make is that there are other solutions.

I wish Android and iOS had some standard where both can talk to each other. Instead having to try workarounds… Samsung has Quick Share, Google uses Nearby Share.. then theres AirDrop from Apple.
Yeah, I’ll be resorting to USB-OTG… clunky, but it works.
Android Nearby share is awesome. I even use it on my Samsung devices, ignoring Samsung’s own quick share. Really wish there’s a standard for all platforms (iOS, Mac, Android, Windows). Sucks that the lowest common denominator is still the old USB thumb drive.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I use the My Files app, which I set my NAS under network storage, so I can just copy n paste files to it. You can also do that without a NAS, direct to your desktop OS, as long and you have File Sharing setup on Mac or Windows. This is all locally though. Being on a differ network might require a more robust 3rd party file manager app.

johnjkjk

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
I use the My Files app, which I set my NAS under network storage, so I can just copy n paste files to it. You can also do that without a NAS, direct to your desktop OS, as long and you have File Sharing setup on Mac or Windows. This is all locally though. Being on a differ network might require a more robust 3rd party file manager app.
Can I use this method to browse and copy paste files to an iPhone from a PC?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Can I use this method to browse and copy paste files to an iPhone from a PC?

Yes you can. In the Files app. Tap the upper right menu (the circle with three dots). Then click Connect to Server. Enter your Server or PC IP address and login. Just know you must have file sharing enabled on PC. Then you'll see the shared section under the browse section of the Files app. Browse the files from your iPhone, long press any file, and tap copy. Then browse to the file structure on your iPhone and paste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.