Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah I'm talking retail with overheads and non parallel imports. Not used phones.
I guess little old NZ isn't comparable with the rest of the world.
For example, I paid 1100 nz for my 32gb note 5. The cheapest I can find a new note 5 here, including parallel imports from online retailers, is 865 nz.

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=3286576

I've yet to see anything as dramatic as a 50 percent price drop over a year in any category without some kind of extraneous reason (firesale/runout, tempoary loss leader etc).

Not that I wouldn't mind,I could wait a year to get a good product cheaply.

That's true, I see what you mean. I've always wondered what happens to "new" phones when they are past their prime. $50-$150 is probably what I would expect to see at the end of life. But do these phones really sell? I'm curious if they go back to the manufacturer, and if so what happens to them.

But I am not clear on why the used market isn't an important factor in this conversation and shouldn't also be an indicator of a phones value after release. There seem to be way too many factors in place to use "new" phone prices as an indicator, where with used phones the only dictating factor is supply and demand, making it a more accurate indicator IMO.

Last edited:

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
If ebay is £410 then take away a further 20 to 30% and that is what the typical price is privately. Who actually still buys anything from ebay? Ebay is one of the most expensive places to buy stuff especially when there are so many people bidding silly money just to save £1 off RRP.

And no you should get your numbers right. Samsung wanted over £800 for the edge plus initially. It was a big discussion on here. They dropped the price about 1 month after.

That's is private sellers, not resellers... I bought my edge plus after it had been out 1 week. The Samsung website had it up.for 625.

Why are you on some mission to slate Samsung resale values...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.