Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Smart projector, with auto size and color adjusting. And it has built-in smart-TV functionality.

Feels like what AppleTV should be heading to be. :)

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
How about no? Since I want to use an Apple TV with my existing OLED TV.
The downside of that is you still need to have/buy a TV.

People have been saying why Apple didn't just make an actual TV with the Apple TV hardware built in. This is one way to do it. Imagine an Apple TV to go, and you can present/airplay your presentations anywhere without having to deal with dongles or old projectors... :)

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
The downside of that is you still need to have/buy a TV.

People have been saying why Apple didn't just make an actual TV with the Apple TV hardware built in. This is one way to do it. Imagine an Apple TV to go, and you can present/airplay your presentations anywhere without having to deal with dongles or old projectors... :)
Maybe as an additional device, but not "... what the AppleTV should've been...".

Reactions: Oohara

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
What's the MSRP? It may be in a different price tier if it's like $400. AppleTV's closer competition is products like the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max.

Update: Just looked it up. $899 and only 1080p for 4K content?

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I have this now, for about a week or so. I am only using this for kids movie nights, occasionally for work presentations. The picture quality is very good, bright enough as well, so will work great for how I want to use it, but the software is awful. Buggiest software I have used in years, basic stuff like clicking on icons, apps, etc, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I will keep it, but badly needs some software updates.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have this now, for about a week or so. I am only using this for kids movie nights, occasionally for work presentations. The picture quality is very good, bright enough as well, so will work great for how I want to use it, but the software is awful. Buggiest software I have used in years, basic stuff like clicking on icons, apps, etc, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I will keep it, but badly needs some software updates.
Thanks for the quick overview. Is it using Android TV, or Samsung's own OS?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My PlayStation 4 console is a far better Apple TV alternative than anything Samsung is pushing. Never a buffering issue, never an update nag, and zero HDCP errors.

Tizen based on my experience with their smart TV's is akin to the Amazon Fire OS system. Full of ads, lag, and stutters. Sometimes I'm forced to yank the plug out of the TV to reset it as it sometimes freezes and refuses to power on.

Much like how Internet Explorer is only used to download Firefox or Chrome, my "smart" TV is only used to view content from external sources such as the PS4. Using the built in OS is a lesson in frustration

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.