Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I thought I would post a thread about the Samsung Galaxy A73 as there doesn't seem to be one. I'm wondering if anyone has actually purchased this phone and their thoughts on it as I'm thinking of getting one to replace my tatty A71.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The A73 is a really odd model.
If you look at the SD778 SoC, you can get the Galaxy A52s for a lot less.
If you look at the camera features, the A72 has telephoto lens, which Samsung weirdly dropped on the A73 (and they use the useless macro and depth sensor instead).
If you look at the price premium, you can probably get the S21 FE for almost around that price point or just a bit more, which will give you actual flagship material like aluminum frame and telephoto lens (the A73 has plastic frame).

To make it worse, unlike the cheaper A53, the A73 doesn't get monthly security patches. It only gets quarter patches like the cheaper Galaxy phones.

Imo if you are looking for a phone in that price segment, I would try looking for a deal on the S21 FE instead. Or you can save money by just getting the A52s instead.

Reactions: MarkX

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Isn't the A53 the newest one over the A52?
Or is the 52 a international version?
A53 is newer.
A52s, however, has better SoC, the SD778, which is in the A73. But since the A52s was released last year, it can be found for a lot less.
The A52 is another separate model. It has a slower SD720.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
The A73 is a really odd model.
If you look at the SD778 SoC, you can get the Galaxy A52s for a lot less.
If you look at the camera features, the A72 has telephoto lens, which Samsung weirdly dropped on the A73 (and they use the useless macro and depth sensor instead).
If you look at the price premium, you can probably get the S21 FE for almost around that price point or just a bit more, which will give you actual flagship material like aluminum frame and telephoto lens (the A73 has plastic frame).

To make it worse, unlike the cheaper A53, the A73 doesn't get monthly security patches. It only gets quarter patches like the cheaper Galaxy phones.

Imo if you are looking for a phone in that price segment, I would try looking for a deal on the S21 FE instead. Or you can save money by just getting the A52s instead.
Coming from the A71 though, I like having the big 6.7 inch screen though (I'm a big lad). Re the S21 FE, that doesn't have SD card support does it, which is a deal breaker for me.

The A52s certainly appeals also though, as does the A72 at a push (though that has an inferior chipset).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Coming from the A71 though, I like having the big 6.7 inch screen though (I'm a big lad). Re the S21 FE, that doesn't have SD card support does it, which is a deal breaker for me.

The A52s certainly appeals also though, as does the A72 at a push (though that has an inferior chipset).
If the M53 is available in your country, that's another option for a 6.7" 120Hz OLED Samsung phone with SD card slot. You will miss any IP rating though and software support won't be as long as the A series.

Sounds like you have specific requirements that the A73 might be what you are looking for. 👍🏼

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
If the M53 is available in your country, that's another option for a 6.7" 120Hz OLED Samsung phone with SD card slot. You will miss any IP rating though and software support won't be as long as the A series.

Sounds like you have specific requirements that the A73 might be what you are looking for. 👍🏼
Yeah, I want a big screen, SD card support, waterproof, decent camera and chipset. They are the non negotiable items. High refresh rates are not important to me. I can manage without the headphone jack too, but would obviously prefer one.

The A73 appears to tick a lot of boxes for me. I can pick one up in the uk for less than £400 if I shop around too, which I think is decent value for money. The A52s looks like even better value too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.