Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
galaxy_book2_family2.jpg

Intel 12th gen with features like Apple's Universal Control with Galaxy Tab, although the details are not mentioned.

What really interest me is Galaxy Book2 Pro, with a weight of 0.87kg.
Also wondering if intel 12th gen will be this good in such thin-n-light.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
What is the difference between OLED, AMOLED and Super AMOLED? And do they all have the issue of PWM that Apple's OLED displays have?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
galaxy_book2_family2.jpg

Intel 12th gen with features like Apple's Universal Control with Galaxy Tab, although the details are not mentioned.

Why wouldn't the 12th gen be ok the U series is specific for thin and light laptops :)

Note the Book Pro Gen 1 has a plastic bottom the pro 360 is all Ali, I suspect the same on Gen 2 but otherwise ridiculously light with good arrangement of ports

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
galaxy_book2_family2.jpg

Samsung makes some good hardware and if they actually have current, not last years gen Intel processors o the new models then they will be some awesome machines. I have purchased a few of their notebooks with 10th gen Intel processor but didn't keep them because of the older processor. The Hardware is pretty sweet and the software they add is not bad either. They just need to put BETTER SPEAKERS because the ones they have used in the past were just trash. Put a four or six speaker system with at least 4 watts of power and all the other features and Dell XPS and Microsoft Surface devices will have a serious run for their money!

I am really excited to see these devices. My only other concern is battery life but we will have to wait until these start shipping in the wild to see.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I am not excited about these Samsung models. The display is still 16:9 and only Full HD. Very good for watching videos due to the AMOLED screen, but bad for productivity.

That could be an OK laptop if sold for a reasonable price. But here in Brazil, the version with an 11th gen Intel processor sells for the same price as an M1 MacBook Air.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I am not excited about these Samsung models. The display is still 16:9 and only Full HD. Very good for watching videos due to the AMOLED screen, but bad for productivity.

That could be an OK laptop if sold for a reasonable price. But here in Brazil, the version with an 11th gen Intel processor sells for the same price as an M1 MacBook Air.
Think your clutching at straws throwing in bad for productivity given the flexibility of these models, they cover a much wider band of productive user and the 15" screen for spreadsheet column use and numeric Keypad adds more than many plus port selection

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I'm with @skaertus on 16:9 resolution. With monitors, I'm good with it, as the overall size makes up for the lack of vertical screen real estate. But on a laptop, I want at least 16:10.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Completely agree that 16:9 is just bad for productivity. But literally most Windows laptops have this aspect ratio (Surface lineup is probably the only few exception). It's highly annoying.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I'm with @skaertus on 16:9 resolution. With monitors, I'm good with it, as the overall size makes up for the lack of vertical screen real estate. But on a laptop, I want at least 16:10.

Completely agree that 16:9 is just bad for productivity. But literally most Windows laptops have this aspect ratio (Surface lineup is probably the only few exception). It's highly annoying.
It is OK to have a 16:9 display if it is big enough for side-by-side applications. If a screen is too small, then it should be narrower as it would allow for adequate vertical space.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
They are changing, though. My XPS 15 is 16:10. The new Lenovo X1 Extreme is too, as well as some others. Still not 4:3, but better than they were.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.