Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I am a long time Chromebook lover and user. Had the Chromebook Pixel 2013 and the 2015 version. Also had the Pixelbook and a few others in-between.

This is a high end Chromebook. Starting price is estimated to be $1,000 for the base. The base will have a 10th gen Intel chip, a 4K Amoled screen and 8GB of RAM. Upgrades to RAM and SSD size are expected for more $$$$ of course.

Landing page: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/chromebooks/galaxy-chromebook/

Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...56gb-ssd-mercury-gray/6398119.p?skuId=6398119

Review: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-chromebook

A few images from the web

07dGg4VOwfObBIE1kh1HIJ1-6.fit_scale.size_2698x1517.v1578361615.jpg

20200106033332_1200_675_-_samsung_galaxy_chromebook.jpg

Release is suppose to be April 6th. I am probably going to snag one when it drops with 16GB RAM upgrade. Any others interested in this machine?

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This is the "true" successor to the Pixelbook, IMO. That orange looks terrific. My Pixelbook is still going strong so it'll be some time before I look to replace it. Of course that could change if there's a killer deal on it.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
This is the "true" successor to the Pixelbook, IMO. That orange looks terrific.
Agree...

I'll get the silver / gray one when it drops.

I hope they offer a 16GB version at launch...

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I am a long time Chromebook lover and user. Had the Chromebook Pixel 2013 and the 2015 version. Also had the Pixelbook and a few others in-between.

This is a high end Chromebook. Starting price is estimated to be $1,000 for the base. The base will have a 10th gen Intel chip, a 4K Amoled screen and 8GB of RAM. Upgrades to RAM and SSD size are expected for more $$$$ of course.

Landing page: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/chromebooks/galaxy-chromebook/

Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...56gb-ssd-mercury-gray/6398119.p?skuId=6398119

Review: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-chromebook

A few images from the web

07dGg4VOwfObBIE1kh1HIJ1-6.fit_scale.size_2698x1517.v1578361615.jpg

20200106033332_1200_675_-_samsung_galaxy_chromebook.jpg

Release is suppose to be April 6th. I am probably going to snag one when it drops with 16GB RAM upgrade. Any others interested in this machine?
Nice but no the Galaxy Book S has my eye for the wife to replace her aging 12" MB 2015

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer and raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Nice but no the Galaxy Book S has my eye for the wife to replace her aging 12" MB 2015

The Galaxy Book is pretty sweet as well. Not sure why more laptops don't have LTE chips in them. I though about picking one up as I am curious how the mobile chip will work on Win 10. From what I've read, they are saying it's on par with an 8th gen core i5.. Not to shabby really...

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The Galaxy Book is pretty sweet as well. Not sure why more laptops don't have LTE chips in them. I though about picking one up as I am curious how the mobile chip will work on Win 10. From what I've read, they are saying it's on par with an 8th gen core i5.. Not to shabby really...
Yes not so sure I would want an ARM chip yet as some compatibility issues

However

For the Mrs its a great if not better replacement for her bootcamp 12" MB 2015, very similar footprint and weight, double battery endurance, runs all the main software she use's re Offfice356 and chrome and comes in pink lol, she has the gold MB.

The LTE is incidental and the Book S has greater integration with her new Galaxy Flip and has a touch panel

For what she does a MS GO would be ample I would prefer to get her the MS SP but she is literally a laptop user so clam shell is a must for her

I had the Amoled Galaxy Tab Pro for a while and it was a great little device with stunning screen so a shame the Book S is not OLED but that was clearly a battery choice by Samsung

The question is given the Samsung Chromebook and Book S are similar price why go for the Chromebook ?

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
The question is given the Samsung Chromebook and Book S are similar price why go for the Chromebook ?
I'm a huge Chromebook fan. Fast boot, secure, no crapware, no virus or malware worries ect. I find that ChromeOS along with Android apps and Linux that there is not much that can't be done on a Chromebook, for my use at least...

I am sure by the time I shell out the extra $$$ for the 16GB version the Galaxy Chromebook will come in around $1200'ish, maybe more if they force SSD upgrade with the RAM (I hope not)....

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm a huge Chromebook fan. Fast boot, secure, no crapware, no virus or malware worries ect. I find that ChromeOS along with Android apps and Linux that there is not much that can't be done on a Chromebook, for my use at least...

I am sure by the time I shell out the extra $$$ for the 16GB version the Galaxy Chromebook will come in around $1200'ish, maybe more if they force SSD upgrade with the RAM (I hope not)....
Appreciate your a fan :)

Just think in the $1k range its a tough call recommending to the average user or say student who wants this footprint what to opt for

re W10 2 in 1/360deg, Arm Book S or Chromebook or even a bootcamp MBA :)

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
If I remember correctly I shelled out $1650 for the 2013 Chromebook Pixel with LTE....

YIKES!

• Wow
Reactions: SteveJUAE

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
The Samsung page is live with a release date of April 6th.. No pre-order yet which is weird and even Best Buy still says coming soon...

Maybe pre-orders start April 6th? Either way I don;t see mention of a 16gb version. I hope there is more info available in the next few days. I can make due with 8GB on chromeOS but I like to keep a lot of tabs and apps open and I also like running linux on them. 16gb RAM would be my preference..

mac_evangelist

Suspended
Mar 30, 2020
UK
Looks like great hardware. Apple's quality has really pushed the industry forward in the past decade and Samsung is amongst the very best in keeping up and in some cases exceeding Apple. Enjoy it if you go for one.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Picked it up at Best Buy this morning.. I'll add some photos and a mini review in a few days.

1st impression is that it's a high end build quality. The AMOLED screen is gorgeous not not very bright. KB is shallow but not as bad as the MBP. Touchpad is responsive but a little small. Sound is very good. Fingerprint sensor works every time so far. Pen is included but I'll probably rarely use it.

Chatted with Samsung this AM and was told they don't know if a 16GB version will be released. Odd considering everything I've read says it will. Based on that I went with the 8GB one which for chromeOS is fine. I'd prefer 16GB but it is what it is.

Worth $999? To me, yes. Build quality appears better than the Pixelbook. Been using 15" machines for the past few months so adjusting back to a 13" is a bit of a shocker...

10th gen i5, 8GB RAM and 256 storage. I got the gray one but they also have red....

More in a few days. I assume battery life will be horrific since it has a AMOLED screen..

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just read a review that said it had awful battery life. Not sure if that's accurate or not.
I've read and seen that too.

The 16:9 form-factor is not too appealing to me since it feels very awkward in tablet mode. I'm finding that I'm using my Pixelbook more in tablet mode since the latest updates to CrOS have improved the tablet experience.

But there are so much about it that I find appealing. The red is on my radar but I won't give it serious thought until I can wrangle one for under $500 new.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Yeah battery life is atrocious... Got about 4 hours twice now... Max brightness (it's not very bright) and I do have a lot of extensions running in the background all the time and several tabs open in Chrome at a time...

• Sad
Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.