Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I could see a note 21 FE happening but not one thats an update to the ultra
What would a Note 21 FE be? Would it have the newer Exynos with better battery life, SPen still inside the phone and the same design as the Note 20 Ultra with the curved display? Because if so I would be interested in that.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
What would a Note 21 FE be? Would it have the newer Exynos with better battery life, SPen still inside the phone and the same design as the Note 20 Ultra with the curved display? Because if so I would be interested in that.
Think of it as S20 FE... it will give you the newer chip, S-Pen integration... however they gonna downsize on the camera tech... you won’t get the latest and greatest in the camera department. And you probably get a 6.7 inch display along with the boxy design.
I could see a note 21 FE happening but not one thats an update to the ultra
Agreed! I understand the disappointment of the Note series.. it sparked the demand of phablets! But it had its run. I’m of the opinion, that eventually the S-line will see more improved S-Pen support... whether it’s magnetic attached to the phone or inside it.

I think Samsung will make more improvements to the S line to help Note users with the transition.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
basically be a note 20 but with a few things added like camera software improvements and a lower price

Reactions: Dave245

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I guess I'm not as outraged if the Note goes away now. The differences between the S and Note lines are so small now. Yeah I'll miss the S-Pen being inside the phone but I also only use it maybe once per week. So it really doesn't matter that much now I guess. And I'm sure the Note would have gotten rid of the SD Card slot anyway if it came out this year.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Samsung are giving 15% off all the Note devices on the website. I wonder if this means they are attempting to clear out inventory.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Nah, not possible. its hardware limitations to prevent that from happening…
I don't think it's a hardware limitation. I think the panel is capable of it, but I think they locked it away because of how poor the battery life would be with it. The Note 20 Ultra's battery life already isn't great, so with quad HD at 120hz, the battery life would likely be flat out bad.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don't think it's a hardware limitation. I think the panel is capable of it, but I think they locked it away because of how poor the battery life would be with it. The Note 20 Ultra's battery life already isn't great, so with quad HD at 120hz, the battery life would likely be flat out bad.
You might be right that the panel is capable of it, but regardless... Samsung won't push an update to allow for it to happen. Battery life on my Fold isn't all that great, but its good enough. I keep 120hz on my display.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
You might be right that the panel is capable of it, but regardless... Samsung won't push an update to allow for it to happen. Battery life on my Fold isn't all that great, but its good enough. I keep 120hz on my display.
You're right. There's zero chance they will push an update for it. If I'm being 100% honest, I tried the quad HD 120hz setting on my 21 Ultra and sat it next to my Note 20 Ultra set to 120hz, and I couldn't see a difference worth noting. I looked at the same images side by side and the same videos side by side. I THINK I MIGHT have seen a difference...maybe...and that could have just been placebo. Ultimately, I ended up turning the resolution down to FHD+ on my 21 Ultra due to the difference not being notable.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
What if the old Note form factor goes away and replaced with Galaxy Note Fold with pen? Wouldn't that make more sense? They should make it more like the Mate X2 though so you can use the pen folded and unfolded.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
What if the old Note form factor goes away and replaced with Galaxy Note Fold with pen? Wouldn't that make more sense? They should make it more like the Mate X2 though so you can use the pen folded and unfolded.
I don't have an issue with that as long as they put equal or better cameras in it and the battery is equal or larger. I skipped the Fold 2 for two reasons. One was the battery and the other was the camera. I just couldn't justify spending that money and getting a lesser camera than I had on the Note 20 Ultra, and I wasn't willing to settle for that battery size (because it resulted in worse battery life than the Note 20 Ultra). If this will be in the place of the Note, then they need to address those two areas, for me to consider it. If they don't it'll be another hard pass for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.