Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
At the latest Samsung Unpacked event (2024) Samsung not only unveiled the S24 series, they also showed off a whole new product called the Galaxy Ring. The product has been rumoured for a while but has never officially been confirmed by Samsung until the unpacked event. It looks to be a direct competitor for the Oura Ring.

With Samsung having the Galaxy Watch, will this new Galaxy Ring, steal some of its thunder especially when it comes to health features.

Just thought I would open up a thread so that we can all discuss what we think, comment and give opinions on this new device. Samsung never gave a release date and only teased it within the last few minutes of the keynote.

Reactions: lostPod and jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Good idea for a thread holder.

Although I don't think that until they get hologram technology down the idea isn't that viable.

I mean if I could use a smart ring just like a smart watch with a holographic projector screen to interact with it could replace both a phone and watch mostly.

But for now, it just seems like another useless gadget. So you have a galaxy phone, Galaxy watch, Galaxy ring, Galaxy tab, and Galaxy book pro. Do I need this much connection??

• Sad
Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good idea for a thread holder.

Although I don't think that until they get hologram technology down the idea isn't that viable.

I mean if I could use a smart ring just like a smart watch with a holographic projector screen to interact with it could replace both a phone and watch mostly.

But for now, it just seems like another useless gadget. So you have a galaxy phone, Galaxy watch, Galaxy ring, Galaxy tab, and Galaxy book pro. Do I need this much connection??

Useless gadget, what? Because it cannot have a screen/display for a human to visually gawk at?

AirTags+SamsungTags = pretty useful for their designed target task of tracking large items from being misplaced, stolen or sent to another geological location. Do they really NEED displays to do what their target isolated intended use case? Noooope. That's what the watch and smartphone are for, and much more imperical data is needed.

Now let's say you're "Legally Blind" severe or uncontrolled losses of visual acuity (legally blind)? What is a watch going do do for you?! Alarm, Beep - oh wait you'll NEED to know how to navigate all the functions - Watches are NOT yet programmed correctly for this from the startup.

A watch and ring are secondary devices.
Just like a Wife and a Husband are THEY KEY parts of a relationship and marriage ... the ring (despite brides to be may argue) is NOT ever as important to whom you're courting, dating marrying and sharing your entire soul and life in harmony with.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
My question is how do we charge the ring? I don't often remove my wedding ring unless I'm going through the MRI machine and then I realize the ring is on pretty tight and it's difficult to get past that first knuckle. I don't really want to deal with that on a daily basis to charge a Galaxy Ring.

Plus rings spin on your finger. If there's some type of display then you'll often need to orient the ring to read it properly. I am not sold on the Oura Ring and don't have high hopes for the Galaxy Ring.

Give me some smart glasses that overlays info or can zoom to see far objects and I'll happily get that!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
My question is how do we charge the ring? I don't often remove my wedding ring unless I'm going through the MRI machine and then I realize the ring is on pretty tight and it's difficult to get past that first knuckle. I don't really want to deal with that on a daily basis to charge a Galaxy Ring.

Plus rings spin on your finger. If there's some type of display then you'll often need to orient the ring to read it properly. I am not sold on the Oura Ring and don't have high hopes for the Galaxy Ring.
Yeah, I’m not interested in a smart ring… I’m completely okay with wearing a smartwatch. Not sure the point in adding another wearable technology… when there’s so much more to do under the smartwatch.

From battery performance, adding a camera to it for quick video calls… better support for native apps. There’s so much that revolves around being handicapped to the smartphone when using a smartwatch. I want the smartwatch to evolve into more than an accessory to a smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.