Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I think the video said the S21 and S21 Plus would have flat displays but the S21 Ultra would have curved display like the note 20 Ultra
I didn't hear them specify if it was going to be curved like the Note 20 U or the S20 U, but maybe I missed something. Definitely hoping for the latter though, or it means another Note I'll have to skip.

Wow, if this is true, then the rumor of Samsung merging the Note and S line is going to happen. Kinda makes sense. The Note was supposed to be Samsung’s largest phone, but the S Plus and Ultra were blurring that line. Might as well have a single cleaner lineup.

Thinking the next Note will be the Galaxy Z Fold with S pen support.
Even though I agree that would make 100% sense, I'm not holding my breath for the Note to die in 2021 either. The Note is such a strong brand on its own, I bet they'll keep it alive even if the S series gets pen compatibility. The Fold and S line are also strong brands on their own and I think Samsung sees it as desirable to maintain all three even though it leads to a ludicrous number of very similar models.

Reactions: jamezr

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I think the video said the S21 and S21 Plus would have flat displays but the S21 Ultra would have curved display like the note 20 Ultra
Shame, that's the only downside to the S/Note range that affects daily use.
I only scanned through the video, I can't stand his voice. lol

Reactions: jamezr and Oohara

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Samsung need to understand that more people would buy their phones if they had a flat display. It's like they think curved displays is what sells them.
I'd definitely be a happier boy if all their displays were flat, but I'm not sure that would straight up sell more phones for them. It's a matter of taste after all, and a lot of people seem to actually like the curved displays. Damn them lol.

For Sammy it probably has to do with brand differentiation too. Like, of course Apple could make their notch far smaller if they wanted to, but the current shape & size of it is as much a brand identifier as it is an aesthetic choice for them. You can tell in a split second which is the iPhone. Maybe those curved screens help Samsung identify their brand too. Anyway I don't really know of course, just fibbing a bit here :D

Regarding those subjective preferences, I know a lot of people think the iPhone looks dated, boring, never changes etc. While the S20U & co look futuristic. For me it's exactly the opposite. I see the curved edges and the pimple cutout and feel it's just a flavour of the month design, aesthetically far less pleasing and ultimately less modern than the iPhone. While the iPhone 12 series is an elegant touch up to an already great design, making it feel just fresh enough, while at the same time nodding back to the 4/5 series which to me were a timeless design highlight. Part of the elegance is looking back while moving forward, which is very much in fashion overall right now, I mean if you also look towards music production, fashion design etc. Bang on in my book.

Again though, subjective all the way. There are no objective truths here. Except maybe that the curved parts of a display are objectively unusable with an pen device ;)

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I just don't know why they want to keep the Ultra at the most curved and not the regular models. You'd think they'd at least try it one year. Thankfully they've not gone for the waterfall design like on the latest Huawei phones.

I'm sure most will be pleased (I know I am) about pen support. But I can just see all the complainers about losing their pens and why it doesn't fit inside the phone itself.....

Might be something I switch to next summer. Because we'll know for sure if the Note line really has been killed off. I'm most interested to see how the new Exynos chips perform. And if they do outperform the SD 875, whether those in an Exynos region who claim they won't support a company who sell different chips to regions backtrack and buy one.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
csm_En6PZlbUwAIb9Gw_b768dbd510[1].jpg

Alleged renders of the s21 line.

That all matte black is insanely good looking.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
So these will be powered by the Snapdragon 888 (in some regions) as it's officially being called, not the 875.

Fanboys already arguing about the "stupid naming" and how even the A13 "smokes it". Who gives a **** what chip is inside a phone you have no intention of buying?!

Reactions: jamezr and yui4

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
If the renders are anywhere close to accurate, I'll be pre-ordering the Ultra in black on day 1. Ive tried 5-6 different phones this year and for me, nothing beats my s20 plus.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Looks great, but I’m stuck with Apple for at least 2 more years.

I’m definitely getting a cheap android tablet for web browsing in bed.

Yes Apple imo browsing the web I see the memory constraints. All that processing power is good but the memory or lack of definitely shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.