Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Following on from the announcement of the latest Samsung flagship (Note20 Ultra) today.. I guess it is about time we start to discuss the next flagship.. the Samsung Galaxy S21 (along with all its variants)!

There are already very interesting rumours out there such as the Qualcomm beating latest gen Exynos 1000 CPU (especially for us Brits) among the exciting stuff!

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Great thing will be three major Android updates guaranteed for the S21 from the beginning knowing it

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

What do you guys think about this rumor? Since the Galaxy S getting larger and larger, the Note seems to have "lost" one of its big (screen) selling point, aside from the S pen. It does make sense, making the ultra (larger) S phone into the true flagship.

And maybe the rumor will answer my wish, a Galaxy Fold with S pen support (replacing the current Note line in this rumor).

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I don't think it will be a full merge, i can't see them putting the spen inside the device, maybe just making it work together.

Reactions: jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Don’t think it happens But in fairness the note Line will always exist but will be just named something else.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
So after receiving the One UI 2.5 update on my current S20+ that includes most of the Note20 range features and functionality, I think I will manage to overlook the Note20 range and look forward to the upcoming S21 series!

Reactions: yui4

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So after receiving the One UI 2.5 update on my current S20+ that includes most of the Note20 range features and functionality, I think I will manage to overlook the Note20 range and look forward to the upcoming S21 series!

Sure unless you love the S pen. If you have a S20 though makes more sense to hold off anyway

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Sure unless you love the S pen. If you have a S20 though makes more sense to hold off anyway
I do love the S Pen being a long term Note series fan but this year the Exynos debacle has made me rethink.

Hopefully I will be back on track next year! This would be first Note I have not owned in years! Wish me luck!

Reactions: sunking101

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I do love the S Pen being a long term Note series fan but this year the Exynos debacle has made me rethink.

Hopefully I will be back on track next year! This would be first Note I have not owned in years! Wish me luck!

With the increased and processor being said to be great in 2021 i think you will like it :)

So far my exynos isn’t awful. Lasting me all day and got 5 hours screen time yesterday on light ish use. By midnight phone still didn’t die so all good for me.

Reactions: kkh786

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Looks like Samsung is going all in on the camera bump, like almost a quarter of the phone on the Ultra. The actual body is still the same design though, the usual glass sandwich.
S21 has 3 cameras, S21 Ultra has 4.

Quite bold design imo, ensuring real differentiation than the iPhone square camera bump look that everybody else is copying. Looking forward for the Exynos 2100.

Reactions: nordique

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Basically sounds to me the ultra is the one which samsung are making as flagships while the S21 and S21 plus will not be seen as a true flagship. slowly but surely dumbing down their S line for the fold to shine.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Basically sounds to me the ultra is the one which samsung are making as flagships while the S21 and S21 plus will not be seen as a true flagship. slowly but surely dumbing down their S line for the fold to shine.
Well, the Ultra is larger and does have more room for stuff. Can't blame them. Apple is doing the same thing as well, putting the best stuff for the Pro Max.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well, the Ultra is larger and does have more room for stuff. Can't blame them. Apple is doing the same thing as well, putting the best stuff for the Pro Max.
I don’t blame samsung from a business point of view should allow them to reduce the cost for the other S21 models. They know to get on the same level as apple with selling these things the price needs to be a lot lower. FE was a great idea for sure to try and get more users to buy in.

if people want the best specs then they will need to buy the fold line which will be obviously alot of money. So if you want the best features you invest in the fold line. Got to admit that’s what i will be going for going forward from Samsung’s point of view. I love the fold 2 and will only get better

That said there will still be a market for the regular phones and many will want that 600-700 price range. The biggest upgrade for s21 will be the processor that’s for sure.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
That said there will still be a market for the regular phones and many will want that 600-700 price range. The biggest upgrade for s21 will be the processor that’s for sure.
This is why I'm excited to see what the Exynos 2100 can do. My country is an Exynos country, unfortunately. so it's tough looking at the premium S20/Note 20 series, knowing that we get the "less" version.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is why I'm excited to see what the Exynos 2100 can do. My country is an Exynos country, unfortunately. so it's tough looking at the premium S20/Note 20 series, knowing that we get the "less" version.
For sure, i still have my note 20 ultra although will be giving that to my dad shortly and the battery life is below average even with LTPO. My fold 2 on the other hand I’m averaging a good 2-3 hours better screen on time with obviously the snapdragon 865+. Exynos has been awful in terms of standby time and overall usage and i have the same settings on both devices.

So i would say will be interesting to see the new chip and whats even more interesting if samsung had the new exynos chip in the fold 3 or stick with snapdragon.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
For sure, i still have my note 20 ultra although will be giving that to my dad shortly and the battery life is below average even with LTPO. My fold 2 on the other hand I’m averaging a good 2-3 hours better screen on time with obviously the snapdragon 865+. Exynos has been awful in terms of standby time and overall usage and i have the same settings on both devices.

So i would say will be interesting to see the new chip and whats even more interesting if samsung had the new exynos chip in the fold 3 or stick with snapdragon.
What usage problems are you experiencing? I too have the exynos Note 20 Ultra and performance has been perfect.

Standby time may not be as good as the Snapdragon version but its not like it stops me getting through a day with 6 - 7 hours of screen on time.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
What usage problems are you experiencing? I too have the exynos Note 20 Ultra and performance has been perfect.

Standby time may not be as good as the Snapdragon version but its not like it stops me getting through a day with 6 - 7 hours of screen on time.

Battery life just isn't that good. On average I got about 4 hours to 4 hours 30 mins screen time. Fold 2 its anywhere from 4 to 8 hours depending on usage. If I don't use it for hours it can drain quicker than it should.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Battery life just isn't that good. On average I got about 4 hours to 4 hours 30 mins screen time. Fold 2 its anywhere from 4 to 8 hours depending on usage. If I don't use it for hours it can drain quicker than it should.
I'm getting on average an easy 7-8 SOT on my Note 20 Ultra.....

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I’ve not experienced overheating on my note ultra exynos, the battery life isn’t great but Will get me through the day.Recently I’ve started to put it on charge for 30mins or so before I leave work as it’s no real inconvenience and that stops me having to worry about checking percentage at all.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
I am liking the rumours of the earlier release.

All these iPhone releases have me itching to upgrade. Haha!

The S21 Ultra seems like the one for me!

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.