Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
I hope the S23 series with the Snapdragon 8 gen 2 gets better battery life than the 22 versions and the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor is the larger version (gen 3?) Qualcomm announced. I like Apple hardware a lot, but I replace just about every stock app with a 3rd party and most of those are available on Android, so I have very little reason to stick with any brand. Every few years I switch back to an Android phone, but I usually flip-flop back to Apple eventually. Good way to keep comfortable with both OSes and help friends and family no matter what they use. My last long-term daily driver in Android was an S8, but I flirted with a Pixel 4a and 5a for a few months each. Currently rocking an iPhone 13 mini and very interested to see what February brings this year.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I hope the S23 series with the Snapdragon 8 gen 2 gets better battery life than the 22 versions and the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor is the larger version (gen 3?) Qualcomm announced. I like Apple hardware a lot, but I replace just about every stock app with a 3rd party and most of those are available on Android, so I have very little reason to stick with any brand. Every few years I switch back to an Android phone, but I usually flip-flop back to Apple eventually. Good way to keep comfortable with both OSes and help friends and family no matter what they use. My last long-term daily driver in Android was an S8, but I flirted with a Pixel 4a and 5a for a few months each. Currently rocking an iPhone 13 mini and very interested to see what February brings this year.
Smart. I try to use multiple platforms as well but once I got an iPhone I got sucked into the ecosystem.

I am looking forward to the Pixel Tablet coming out next year. I am hoping it will offer similar integration as an iPad or even Samsung Galaxy Tab s8.

How do you like the 13 mini? I am seriously considering getting one because it is the most modern and lowest cost iPhone? Just a little worried about battery and lack of Promotion.

Reactions: 5105973

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I am really hoping the s23 plus has a quad hd screen. It really irks me that the larger screen has full hd. It would be the perfect s series phone for me if they just changed that. I love the flat screen and I don't really ever use the spen on a phone.

The 8 gen 2 rumored to be used in the s23 series is supposed to use Samsung fabs and be on their 4nm process. Can anyone verify that? It makes sense since these are Samsung phones but if it is true will Qualcomm have two versions of the 8 gen 2, one on Samsung fabs and one on TSMC? Seems a little odd but certainly possible.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
The 8 gen 2 rumored to be used in the s23 series is supposed to use Samsung fabs and be on their 4nm process. Can anyone verify that?

It will be made by TSMC

Screenshot_20221228_125102_Twitter.jpg

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
According to this leak the S23 Ultra will come with a flat screen?
If really hope this is true!!

7e888f38bbfcb211d30c85c753058ff0.jpg

That would be amazing. Curved screen displays don't do anything but make it impossible to install cheap tempered glass screen protectors.

I think if they do change the screen along with the improvements of the 8 gen 2 they might just sell a lot more!

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Rumours stating Samsung making a big improvement to the s23 and s23 plus to increase sales will see on that one.

They will get same peak nits of brightness as the ultra

Reactions: Dave245

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Rumours stating Samsung making a big improvement to the s23 and s23 plus to increase sales will see on that one.

Samsung will always put the best stuff on the Ultra. More RAM, better screen, etc. I doubt anything of that will change.

However, the regular S23 models are nicer looking (flat screen, including symmetric bezel) and not huge bricks. Getting a regular S23 with the best LTPO 4.0 screen (the newer Samsung E6 screen), 12GB RAM, and you almost have the perfect phone. But Murphy's law prevents companies from making the best product.

For the price Samsung is charging, the S23 should already include the best screen and more RAM.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
According to this leak the S23 Ultra will come with a flat screen?
If really hope this is true!!

7e888f38bbfcb211d30c85c753058ff0.jpg

Even if it's not perfectly flat, if it's flatter than the display on my S22 Ultra I'll be thrilled.

At this point since my 14 Pro Max gives me wicked headaches if I surf too long on it I use my S22 Ultra a lot now. So assuming I can still use the S23 Ultra Display with no health issues I'll be trading in my S22 Ultra for that.

I'm still keenly interested in the Z Flip 5. I'll evaluate that option when it comes out in August. I am not sure I want an Ultra AND a Z Flip. When I tried the Z Flip 4 in a store the display looked fantastic.

But my goodness it is hard for me to give up the zoom and the S pen on the Ultra. I'm definitely into jotting notes.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It will be interesting to see what difference the SD version will have, will it mean better battery life since Samsung is rumoured to be putting the same as the s22 ultra in terms of battery capacity.

Also new colours, samsung seem to have a number of colours like the burgundy, black and white on he s22, but then there were some exclusive ones just on their website.

If samsung can give me a better camera with that 200mp that's rumoured, better battery life (like iphone) and at the same price as the s22 ultra, I will trade in my s22 ultra towards the s23 ultra.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It will be interesting to see what difference the SD version will have, will it mean better battery life since Samsung is rumoured to be putting the same as the s22 ultra in terms of battery capacity.

Also new colours, samsung seem to have a number of colours like the burgundy, black and white on he s22, but then there were some exclusive ones just on their website.

If samsung can give me a better camera with that 200mp that's rumoured, better battery life (like iphone) and at the same price as the s22 ultra, I will trade in my s22 ultra towards the s23 ultra.
I think if the rumors are true the SD 8 gen 2 should fix a lot of minor issues with the s22 series. Both in terms of heat and battery and at the same time better performance. Pretty hopeful.

I don't know but Samsung colors kind of suck to me. It seems like they play it too safe recently. I had the Note 10 in a short of rainbow finish which I thought was really cool. I would like to see more bright and saturated colors like an electric blue, deep purple, maybe an orange or yellow. No offense to anyone but beige, burgundy and green are kind of more of the same and a bit boring. I am hopeful they have at least one sort of different color for the Samsung exclusive color ways.

In terms of camera I like having a good sensor but they also need to focus on the software. I don't know what it is but on average I get better photos from my Pixel and now gone iPhone 13 Pro Max than I did with my s22 plus. I know the plus doesn't have as nice a camera set up as the Ultra but they just come out blurry or off sometimes. I still like the cameras on my s22 plus and they slightly edge out the 13 Pro Max in some cases but not in all. My new Pixel just takes great shots. I know that it is mostly due to the software on the Pixel so while I like Samsung using the latest and greatest sensors I hope they also focus more on picture quality.

Overall I am very excited for the s23. I am debating whether to get the plus or Ultra. I really want the quad hd screen and better cameras but it will all come down to how generous they are with trade in value and maybe some other free stuff on the preorder. Would be really cool if they threw in a watch 5.

Reactions: 5105973 and Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think if the rumors are true the SD 8 gen 2 should fix a lot of minor issues with the s22 series. Both in terms of heat and battery and at the same time better performance. Pretty hopeful.

I don't know but Samsung colors kind of suck to me. It seems like they play it too safe recently. I had the Note 10 in a short of rainbow finish which I thought was really cool. I would like to see more bright and saturated colors like an electric blue, deep purple, maybe an orange or yellow. No offense to anyone but beige, burgundy and green are kind of more of the same and a bit boring. I am hopeful they have at least one sort of different color for the Samsung exclusive color ways.

In terms of camera I like having a good sensor but they also need to focus on the software. I don't know what it is but on average I get better photos from my Pixel and now gone iPhone 13 Pro Max than I did with my s22 plus. I know the plus doesn't have as nice a camera set up as the Ultra but they just come out blurry or off sometimes. I still like the cameras on my s22 plus and they slightly edge out the 13 Pro Max in some cases but not in all. My new Pixel just takes great shots. I know that it is mostly due to the software on the Pixel so while I like Samsung using the latest and greatest sensors I hope they also focus more on picture quality.

Overall I am very excited for the s23. I am debating whether to get the plus or Ultra. I really want the quad hd screen and better cameras but it will all come down to how generous they are with trade in value and maybe some other free stuff on the preorder. Would be really cool if they threw in a watch 5.

I’m hoping trade ins are good for us in the UK, if they offer around £500 for my S22 Ultra, I’ll probably trade in and upgrade. I love the burgundy colour of my S22 Ultra, I hope they offer some more good colours, maybe a purple to compete with iPhone Pro.

I love the zoom on my S22 Ultra, it beats out even the iPhone 14 Pro max in my opinion.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I’m hoping trade ins are good for us in the UK, if they offer around £500 for my S22 Ultra, I’ll probably trade in and upgrade. I love the burgundy colour of my S22 Ultra, I hope they offer some more good colours, maybe a purple to compete with iPhone Pro.

I love the zoom on my S22 Ultra, it beats out even the iPhone 14 Pro max in my opinion.
I bet it does! Telephoto zoom is a really nice feature.

My Pixel 7 Pro doesn't have as good as your s22 but it beats my s22 plus and old iPhone by a mile. It is nice to zoom on something and then get a good clear picture when you enlarge it. For landscape shots it is great!

The Ultra starts at like $1200 here in the USA so I am hoping for around $800 or so for my Plus. Otherwise I may just have to settle for another plus.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I bet it does! Telephoto zoom is a really nice feature.

My Pixel 7 Pro doesn't have as good as your s22 but it beats my s22 plus and old iPhone by a mile. It is nice to zoom on something and then get a good clear picture when you enlarge it. For landscape shots it is great!

The Ultra starts at like $1200 here in the USA so I am hoping for around $800 or so for my Plus. Otherwise I may just have to settle for another plus.

I've noticed that my S22 Ultra is a better camera than my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I only have it because i really like the Apple Watch Ultra, it's much better for fitness. When I'm training for marathons i want as accurate as i can get, my Galaxy Watch 4 just isn't there for that.

However i do feel that Samsung have come a long way with their phones. There was a day not so long ago that i wouldn't even look at another phone outside of Apple's walled garden.

I hope that Samsung carries that on and makes the battery life better on the S23 Ultra, my Exynos Ultra has good battery life, but not as good as the iPhone 14 Pro Max.

The S23 range looks like the S22, i don't mind that though since they are already great looking phones (better looking than the iPhone in my opinion) If Samsung can make it better, then I'm here for it :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Coming from that awful exynos chip SD gen 2 will be a massive improvement from an efficiency, heat and battery life point of view

I'm not expecting big differences with the camera given its using the same sensors pretty much but should still be better across the board

Reactions: Dave245 and jamezr

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Coming from that awful exynos chip SD gen 2 will be a massive improvement from an efficiency, heat and battery life point of view

I'm not expecting big differences with the camera given its using the same sensors pretty much but should still be better across the board

From what I've seen the S23 range will more or less be similar to the S22 range. There is a chance there is more stuff, but they haven't leaked.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012

I am really hoping the s23 plus has a quad hd screen. It really irks me that the larger screen has full hd. It would be the perfect s series phone for me if they just changed that. I love the flat screen and I don't really ever use the spen on a phone.

The 8 gen 2 rumored to be used in the s23 series is supposed to use Samsung fabs and be on their 4nm process. Can anyone verify that? It makes sense since these are Samsung phones but if it is true will Qualcomm have two versions of the 8 gen 2, one on Samsung fabs and one on TSMC? Seems a little odd but certainly possible.

apparently the Plus is not a very popular device

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I have a quad HD screen but I turned it down to FHD+ because it oddly enough seemed to go easier on my eyes. And it uses the battery at much more acceptable rate. QHD+ was like having an energy vampire clamped to my poor phone. :(

Text looks a tiny bit more dotty on this forum, but I otherwise don't consciously notice the difference that much.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Has anyone registered to preorder yet? I did. Most of the time that's useless but I hope it doesn't glitch and does give me my credits.

Last year I had all these amazing credits to spend and because of ordering glitches, by the time I got an order through that I wanted, many of the accessories I wished to get with my credits were sold out. I didn't ever get full value for the unused credits all because Samsung's ordering stinks. Glitchy glitchy glitchy ordering process. Oh well I got and use the strappy silicone case most of the time. Right now I use a clear case from Amazon because I want to enjoy the green color while I have it. But I had the strappy one on all last week.

Of the colors I am aware of, I like the light pink and the off-white. It's between those two unless one of the exclusive colors grabs me.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Text is where the full hd is noticable on a larger screen as it looks grainy. For most things 1080p is fine. I always use the highest resolution available. It does tend to use more power in order to do so. On my Pixel 7 Pro it drains the battery a little bit more but it is not a huge difference.

I registered for the pre order. A $50 credit seems pretty laughable but we will see. I have done so in the past and usually I get the email to notify when you can pre order but some times I got it after launch.

Honestly none of these colors really get me excited. I like more punchy color options. These seem really muted and blah. I will probably get green unless as you say they have a better choice on the exclusive ones.

apparently the Plus is not a very popular device

It kind of makes sense to me that the plus is not that popular. I mean if you sort of hold back on the best features and just charge a lot more for a bigger screen people don't see the value in it. Either go small and save a few bucks or go all out and get the best. Most of the people who want a large screen probably just get the Ultra.

After having the plus that is kind of my feeling. I should either just get the regular s23 and save some money or go all out for the ultra. I think not having the better cameras and the screen stuck at full hd kills the device. I really like the larger flat screen but it really depends on the trade in value. Samsung seems to be trying to maximize profit in a time where demand is low. That generally doesn't work very well.

I am hoping because the s22 series didn't do well in sales, the Pixel series being a lot cheaper and being pretty popular this year, and high sales of the iPhone 14 Pro Max that Samsung will be aggressive with trade in values to sell more new phones. The problem is for them component costs are up which squeezes their profit margin. If with a trade in I will pay only $300-500 I will get the base ultra. If the cost is much higher than I may just keep my Plus, or get the regular s23.

Hopefully Samsung will be smart and not try to give a bunch of free stuff but just give us a good trade but something tells me they are going to charge more, give okay trade in value and offer a free set of galaxy buds. This would probably make me wait for later in the year when they discount the device. I would rather have higher default storage and higher trade in value so the cost is as low as possible than a pair of buds as I already have some. A Galaxy 5 watch might be tempting though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.