Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
I recently got a Galaxy S9 Plus after my iPhone 6s Plus, phone is great... but there is major problem with it. The touch screen is way to sensitive in some areas, and barely responsive in others. The keyboard is a nightmare. About 20% of the time it will fail to recognize a soft touch, causing me to have to go back and retype my sentence, which is extremely annoying. I have read other posts regarding a similar issue, could it just be an issue with the Galaxy S9 Plus? I have like... dead zones.. around the 'a, e, d' keys. They work but I have to apply a bit more force then usual. Phone is 1 week old.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Assuming you have no screen protector on it, it sounds like a defective display. One of the other forum members mentioned he ran across talk about such a defect.

In my experience the default keyboard was a bit prone to weird autocorrect behavior when I first got the phone. So I switched to GBoard. But I recently switched back to default and it seems fine. It possibly got fixed in an update or something. I don’t really know.

Or maybe I just needed to get used to typing on it. I have so many devices that sometimes it takes me a bit of time to get a feel for their keyboards. Once I do I can switch easily among them but I always need that initial break in period.

In my experience of trying three display protectors, one being a film and the other two plastic and glass, I found all to not play well with the display. They fit great. Stayed on fine. But then input just didn’t seem to register correctly. That is one damned twitchy display. At least mine is. I use folio style cases made by Samsung and they’re slim and fit well and protect the display in enough circumstances to suit me. So all’s well there. Without the display protection, the input functions normally.

Reactions: TC_GoldRush

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
Assuming you have no screen protector on it, it sounds like a defective display. One of the other forum members mentioned he ran across talk about such a defect.

In my experience the default keyboard was a bit prone to weird autocorrect behavior when I first got the phone. So I switched to GBoard. But I recently switched back to default and it seems fine. It possibly got fixed in an update or something. I don’t really know.

Or maybe I just needed to get used to typing on it. I have so many devices that sometimes it takes me a bit of time to get a feel for their keyboards. Once I do I can switch easily among them but I always need that initial break in period.

In my experience of trying three display protectors, one being a film and the other two plastic and glass, I found all to not play well with the display. They fit great. Stayed on fine. But then input just didn’t seem to register correctly. That is one damned twitchy display. At least mine is. I use folio style cases made by Samsung and they’re slim and fit well and protect the display in enough circumstances to suit me. So all’s well there. Without the display protection, the input functions normally.
You're probably going to laugh... however all my issues were fixed by replacing my screen protector l. I apparently had small particles of dust trapped under there, barely noticeable to the human eye. This is one damn finicky display.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You're probably going to laugh... however all my issues were fixed by replacing my screen protector l. I apparently had small particles of dust trapped under there, barely noticeable to the human eye. This is one damn finicky display.
Oh no I’m not going to laugh. I believe it. Also, I don’t know if it’s just my imagination but the Samsung curved displays going all the way back to the S7 Edge feel extra springy and the glass feels or sounds thinner tapping on it than the glass on my iPhone 6plus-8plus that I have now does.

It just feels a bit hair-trigger sensitive to me. Anyway, I’m not surprised to hear some specks of dust threw things off for you. I am very glad you were able to troubleshoot it. I hope all else goes well for you and that you’re enjoying your new phone.

Reactions: TC_GoldRush

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Glad you found the culprit before returning this wonderful phone! There's also a display sensitivity should you find yourself in the same dilemma.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.