Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyhex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
NY
Ok so I am on the device now and I have to say it is beautiful love widgets love the live icons etc on my homescreen I have an iphone 5 which is obviously my phone but I installed bobsled on my tablet and the call quality with or without a headset is great. Major selling point for me is flash and superior web browsing. Still love my i5, anyone else have a Samsung tablet 7.0 or 10??

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I don't understand the point of your post, since you already own the device and are not asking for specific questions.

But anyway, if you wanna know opinions, I had a Galaxy Tab, well, it was a gift for a relative.
To be honest I dislike Android quite a bit (which is odd because I'm a "power user") so it was hard for me to teach the relative how to use the OS. The lack of simplicity and the back, screenshot, options, home hard buttons made it real hard (I love the home button on iDevices) and overall widgets and else made it more confussing.
So I sold it before the 'Galaxy Tab 3 7"' comes out and bought an iPad Mini, and now it's real easy to teach how to use it, even via AirPlay and the AppleTV.

Now, Flash for me is dead, thankfully HTML5 is in, and flash based websites are usually just for people that know shait about technology and just wanted something "shinny" to show off, and the graphic designers that didn't want to think much.
If we leave aside the couple pages each month where a flash based video is shown, the odd page that still refuses to use new web coding "standards" and flash based gaming websites, then you'll see Flash is not really necessary.
Not justifying Apple since Jobs era and the obsession NOT to include it on iOS, but just saying, from my PoV, Flash is the cancer of the web just like Java is the cancer of the desktop.

About superior web browsing I don't know, to be honest for me it's the same on either iOS, Android or Windows (I happen to have a small windows-based touch notebook that I bought back in the day when I thought tablets were stupid hahaha!!!!), and it surely never feels the same to me, compared to a full-fledged desktop based experience, for whatever reason it might be.

Leaving that aside (both your points) I have to say the Galaxy Tab is a pretty neat device, it's obviously not as "powerful" as the 10" nor the Galaxy Note 2 (aka Exynos 4012-whatever based), but (and then here comes) I never felt like I needed power for Android since the market doesn't have the stuff I like on iOS, like Auria or any worthwhile synthesizer-app (since Android latency is a joke).
And I say that because I obviously used the tablet from time to time, even if I gave it as a gift, to test it mostly.

I don't think I have much to say more. I guess if you are in the market for a low-end tablet that is NOT the Kindle nor any Chinese creation (read: conceived by Chinese minds, not made because everything is made on china, obviously), the Tab 2 7" is quite a good choice, if you fancy Android.

Oh and as a closing argument, you are right, widgets are cool!
I still don't know if I'd use them that much, tho' as they waste a lot of battery (used to happen to me, back in the day when my smartphone was android-based), but I still see them appealing (e.g twitter, youtube subscriptions, RSS feeds, mail widgets).

dannyhex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
NY
thanks for the reply, yeah well I was gonna get an ipad mini but I saved myself like 150 bucks and just got the tab 2 7. Just wanted a device to test the waters of tablets. The web browsing to me is much closer to a desktop experience then on my iphone. still love my iphone and I def love my homescreen on my tab, I shudda asked if anyone got one for xmas, just wanted to hear others inputs on the device. Its really cool at the price point i got for 189.99. And I got a 32g sd card and this thing is a beast. Gorgeous screen.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
thanks for the reply, yeah well I was gonna get an ipad mini but I saved myself like 150 bucks and just got the tab 2 7. Just wanted a device to test the waters of tablets. The web browsing to me is much closer to a desktop experience then on my iphone. still love my iphone and I def love my homescreen on my tab, I shudda asked if anyone got one for xmas, just wanted to hear others inputs on the device. Its really cool at the price point i got for 189.99. And I got a 32g sd card and this thing is a beast. Gorgeous screen.

I have one and cracked my screen like an complete moron. Unfortunately the case i got doesnt protect the screen when i foolishly tossed it on the bed and it fell. I even stepped on it for good measure, accident of course but still.

Wish i had waited for the nexus 7 though, its better in every way if you get the 32gb. Next time. This thing really needs jelly bean.

Great thing about my cracked screen? I actually still like the device. As crappy as the detection for touch is and laggy touchwiz. And i can still see its just kinda annoying looking at the three cracks and the scuffs.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I love it. I like the whole design before Samsung was caught slavishly copying the iPad. I kid :D

Anyways, the 1280x800 still looks great. I like the vibration feature and I personally hate flash so i'm glad it's being replaced. I thought the battery was the weak point and after the ICS update I stand corrected, battery life is actually quite good. It's right up there with my iPad 2. I get between 9-15 hours depending on what I do.

If i'm just streaming iHeart or Tunein then I can go about 55 hours which is similar to my iPad 2.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
It's not dead but it will eventually go away, Adobe has stopped support for android devices anyway.

There are still flash updates for Android. You just have to look hard enough to find them. The latest flash apk's works on Samsung browser on Jelly Bean. I believe they are on adobe site for android. Not all browsers support flash but some still do.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The flash advantage imo is over blown. Sure it still can be found, but its buggy and a resource hog (which is why adobe killed it). There's less and less sites that rely on flash as well so you have a buggy program that is not needed very much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.