Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
After a year and half of exploring and experimenting with Amazon's line of Fire tablets, I wanted to get an Android device that had a more vanilla Android experience. The number of quality Android tablet models has significantly declined over the past few years and the ones that are available are either in the iPad Pro price range or running an old version of Android.

I heard some positive buzz about the 2019 edition of the Tab A 10.1 so I looked into it. It ticked off all the boxes for me...
  • Android Pie
  • headphone jack
  • thin
  • light
  • micro SD card support
  • fast
  • inexpensive
The entry level model (2GB RAM/32GB storage) is currently selling for $229 and with Best Buy's birthday coupon, I was able to pick one up for $195.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This tablet is thin and light. It's aluminum body feels premium. The screen is very vibrant and very crisp. Performance is as smooth and responsive as my 2018 iPad. Samsung's One UI skin is much lighter (weight-wise) than their old TouchWiz UI and doesn't interfere with the Android Pie experience.

0.jpg

I picked up an Infiland case for it and was hoping that the silicon back would help make it easier to hold but it is a bit on the thick side and the magnets used to hold the cover closed are too large. I'm keeping it to do some testing with it.

I then picked up a ProCase case for it. Super-thin and light and fits perfect. This is the one I'll use every day.
81XlOky7GLL._SL1500_.jpg

I plan on putting the Tab A through a bunch of uses and am curious to see how well it handles them. Plus, since it has a USB-C port, I'll be exploring just how much it can be exploited.

Here's one of my go-to YouTubers giving the the Tab A a run through...

So... does anyone else have the Tab A 10.1 2019 edition? If so, how are you using it and what have your experiences been with it?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Sracer,

I don't have this tablet and have never used a non-iPad tablet. However, I am moving away from Apple and may pick this tablet up to give Android a try. It is currently on sale here in Helsinki for 159 Euros for the base model. I have always read that non-iPad tablets are pretty poor but for this price I may give it a go. I only need it for listening to Spotify, browsing the internet, managing my photos library (currently in Apple Photos backed up in Google Photos), email, and basic word processing.

I am keen to hear your comments as you use it more. I have learned a lot from your posts on various topics so thanks for your participation in these forums.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Sracer,

I don't have this tablet and have never used a non-iPad tablet. However, I am moving away from Apple and may pick this tablet up to give Android a try. It is currently on sale here in Helsinki for 159 Euros for the base model. I have always read that non-iPad tablets are pretty poor but for this price I may give it a go. I only need it for listening to Spotify, browsing the internet, managing my photos library (currently in Apple Photos backed up in Google Photos), email, and basic word processing.

I am keen to hear your comments as you use it more. I have learned a lot from your posts on various topics so thanks for your participation in these forums.

Hey, where in Helsinki is it only 159e? I might be interested too :)

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Hey, where in Helsinki is it only 159e? I might be interested too :)

At Gigantti. But I don’t read Finnish so I am not sure if they have them in stock but I think it is on sale until Sunday. Please have a look at the website and let me know. Thanks.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
At Gigantti. But I don’t read Finnish so I am not sure if they have them in stock but I think it is on sale until Sunday. Please have a look at the website and let me know. Thanks.

The sale is on until Sunday indeed and it’s available for store pickup in one hour at least at Itäkeskus and Tammisto in Vantaa.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The sale is on until Sunday indeed and it’s available for store pickup in one hour at least at Itäkeskus and Tammisto in Vantaa.

I can't see the difference between the one at 159 euros and the one at 199 (both are black). The more expensive one says 4G but are they both not 4G?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Today I purchased the base model (wifi only) and have just set it up. First impressions: very short charging cable and slow to charge. However, I have no complaints about the screen quality and speed in loading web sites.

I have never used an Android phone or tablet so there is obviously a learning curve. This is an experiment to see how Android works and to see if I will be able to avoid Apple products in the future. Very happy with my 2 year old iPhone SE and my 6 year old Macbook Pro and my wife likes her 2018 iPad. However, as per my comments in other threads, I am fed up with Apple's pricing (obscene in Europe), its lack and we don't care attitude concerning quality and quality control, its sanctimonious attitude of it knowing best and the customer's needs being ignored, its dishonesty which has been proven numerous time over the past few years and the most recent move which the vast majority of its customers either have no knowledge of or choose to ignore: partnering with Goldman Sachs for the credit card. Ten years ago or so Goldman Sachs was the cause of unprecedented financial hardship for countries (including the US), financial ruin for hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) citizens of numerous countries and its executives got away with it.

Yet Apple, the self proclaimed bastion of privacy protection, social justice, equal rights, helping the vulnerable in society chooses to use Goldman Sachs as its banking/financial partner. Unbelievable and millions of iSheep are giving them a pass on this.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
sracer, roadstar and anyone else:

Can you recommend a forum on the Android side of things that would be similar to Macrumors? I would find it useful in getting to grips with this new tablet.

Much appreciated.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

Can you recommend a forum on the Android side of things that would be similar to Macrumors? I would find it useful in getting to grips with this new tablet.

Much appreciated.

I haven't been there that much, but Android Central Forums (https://forums.androidcentral.com) is worth a shot.

I also pulled the trigger on the discounted Tab A 10.1 2019 as I needed to replace an ancient iPad 3 my daughter was using as a video player with something that's a bit more recent. With that discount it costs less than half what the cheapest iPad does and with the microSD expansion I can stuff even more videos there for long car rides and similar. I can now also get to test how Google's Family Link works compared to Screen Time on my son's iPhone and iPad.

Reactions: sracer

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I haven't been there that much, but Android Central Forums (https://forums.androidcentral.com) is worth a shot.

I also pulled the trigger on the discounted Tab A 10.1 2019 as I needed to replace an ancient iPad 3 my daughter was using as a video player with something that's a bit more recent. With that discount it costs less than half what the cheapest iPad does and with the microSD expansion I can stuff even more videos there for long car rides and similar. I can now also get to test how Google's Family Link works compared to Screen Time on my son's iPhone and iPad.

Thanks for that link. I will have a look. Keen to hear what you and daughter think of the new tablet after you have after you try it for a while.
On another topic, I know that you ordered your Pixel phone from Germany as they were not available in Finland. I see that Verkkokauppa has them for sale online. Did you not care for the phone?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Thanks for that link. I will have a look. Keen to hear what you and daughter think of the new tablet after you have after you try it for a while.
On another topic, I know that you ordered your Pixel phone from Germany as they were not available in Finland. I see that Verkkokauppa has them for sale online. Did you not care for the phone?

Verkkokauppa seems to have the newer and cheaper Pixel 3a range available, the regular 3/3XL still need to be ordered. However, if I were to get one, I’d order from the German Google Store once again as I don’t like the +200e markup Verkkokauppa’s added to the price.

I liked the phone and I occasionally regret selling it, but while I can juggle between two phones in active use, three is a bit too much :) My current daily driver is my Galaxy S10+ as it has physical dual-SIM, wifi calling supported by my carrier and a better battery life. I would’ve used the Pixel 3 as my backup phone if it weren’t for my son using an iPhone plus an iPad and Apple unsurprisingly doesn’t offer their family tools on Android (while Google does on iOS), so it had to be my iPhone 8 on the secondary device role. For now at least, as my son has expressed his interest in getting an Android next (this has quite a lot to do with me and also his friends using Androids).

I’m also waiting for my Tab S6 to ship. I preordered one as soon as I saw that touchpad in the keyboard cover and they were offering the cover for half the price for preorderers. In addition, by the time I ordered there was an additional -160e discount shown on the Finnish Samsung site and it was apparently some kind of an error from their part, but I completed my order before that discount went away, so they’d better honor it :)

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Verkkokauppa seems to have the newer and cheaper Pixel 3a range available, the regular 3/3XL still need to be ordered. However, if I were to get one, I’d order from the German Google Store once again as I don’t like the +200e markup Verkkokauppa’s added to the price.

I liked the phone and I occasionally regret selling it, but while I can juggle between two phones in active use, three is a bit too much :) My current daily driver is my Galaxy S10+ as it has physical dual-SIM, wifi calling supported by my carrier and a better battery life. I would’ve used the Pixel 3 as my backup phone if it weren’t for my son using an iPhone plus an iPad and Apple unsurprisingly doesn’t offer their family tools on Android (while Google does on iOS), so it had to be my iPhone 8 on the secondary device role. For now at least, as my son has expressed his interest in getting an Android next (this has quite a lot to do with me and also his friends using Androids).

I’m also waiting for my Tab S6 to ship. I preordered one as soon as I saw that touchpad in the keyboard cover and they were offering the cover for half the price for preorderers. In addition, by the time I ordered there was an additional -160e discount shown on the Finnish Samsung site and it was apparently some kind of an error from their part, but I completed my order before that discount went away, so they’d better honor it :)

Wow, Verkkokauppa charges that much more than Google Germany!!?? No tricks to ordering from Germany? They sent it to you no problem?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Wow, Verkkokauppa charges that much more than Google Germany!!?? No tricks to ordering from Germany? They sent it to you no problem?

Basically if your postcode doesn't overlap with those in Germany and you skip the free shipping and opt for the paid shipping instead (15 or so Euros), it should arrive just fine. I can check where I indicated that the country is Finland instead of the autofilled Germany if you're interested in ordering.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Basically if your postcode doesn't overlap with those in Germany and you skip the free shipping and opt for the paid shipping instead (15 or so Euros), it should arrive just fine. I can check where I indicated that the country is Finland instead of the autofilled Germany if you're interested in ordering.

I have a friend who reads some German so if I decide to order we will have a look. I may wait until the 4 comes out to see if the price of the 3 drops. Thanks very much for the info.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Much appreciated.
I've looked for one too and haven't found anything anywhere near the traffic of Macrumors. That's why I post my Android-related stuff in this sub-forum. There is more interaction on this sub-forum than on forums dedicated to Android devices (XDA Developer excluded)

FIRST WAVE OF TESTING
Although I've been using the Tab A extensively since buying it, I've only now had the chance to go through some formal testing.

I've been using Amazon Fire tablets so long that I forgot how nice it is to simply turn an Android tablet on and go. Performance in everything I've thrown at it so far has been great. Occasionally a momentary pause on a task but it is so infrequent that when it happens, I'm reminded, "oh yeah, this can sometimes happen".

I was able to easily pair my bluetooth Motorola keyboard w/trackpoint with the Tab A. The connection is strong and the keyboard was responsive. Initially, the trackpoint was a bit jittery, but turning the keyboard off and back on again resolved that. (the calibration was probably incomplete during the initial pairing) Every use after that first time has been without any issue.

IMG_0774.JPG

The mouse pointer is very visible and easy to use.
IMG_0775.JPG

Here's a close-up of the keyboard.... It is the same dimensions as the Tab A so stacking them and carrying them works well.
IMG_0776.JPG
STREAMING VIDEO

I've been a cord-cutter for a few years and I have a handful of apps that I use to serve my streaming needs.

Mobdro - this works as expected
IMG_0777.JPG

EarthCam - I love webcams... EarthCam (both Android app and website) work well too.... here's a live shot of Wildwood, NJ taken a few minutes ago.
IMG_0778.JPG

Pluto TV - This is my go-to streaming service when I don't have anything in particular in mind to watch.
IMG_0779.JPG

PIP - The Tab A supports picture-in-picture. Here's Pluto TV running in a window....
the window is movable but not sizable, at least I didn't tinker with it long enough to figure out how (if it is).
IMG_0780.JPG

CASE - Here's the ProCase I've settled on. A grey canvas design, thin, light, sturdy. Cutouts are accurate.
IMG_0781.JPG

Next Up: EXPLORING SAMSUNG's ONE UI and ANDROID PIE.

Reactions: Roadstar

Mack812

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
Honolulu, HI
While I was at Best Buy this past Sunday looking for a better remote for my PS4, I came across the Galaxy Tab A 10.1. What caught my eye was the expandable memory feature via microSD card. I decided to get Galaxy Tab with the intent of using it as a portable video viewing device. I also bought a 256gb microSD card along with it so I can convert and transfer video files from my external drive to it, thus keeping Galaxy Tab’s native memory store free. While my iPad Pro will remain my primary portable device, my Galaxy Tab will be my stay at home video device.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
A brief update....

I continue to use the Tab A every day and it has replaced my iPad for media consumption (the iPad continues to serve as a digital planner and project notebook).

I removed the case and went with a skin for the back and a matte screen protector for the front. Loving the lightness and thinness of this setup.

Here's the custom skin I designed at DecalGirl...
Tab A lounge skin.png

Here's a link to the matte screen protector.
61xAUPIR0XL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
This is not as high quality as the Mr. Shield or iCarez matte protectors I've used on my other tablets, but it's the only one available, serves the purpose, and is cheap enough. The Tab A's screen's resolution, brightness, and vibrancy makes reading with the matte protector a real joy.

Performance continues to be as it was at the beginning and after years of using.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
A brief update....

I continue to use the Tab A every day and it has replaced my iPad for media consumption (the iPad continues to serve as a digital planner and project notebook).

I removed the case and went with a skin for the back and a matte screen protector for the front. Loving the lightness and thinness of this setup.

Here's the custom skin I designed at DecalGirl...
View attachment 917593

Here's a link to the matte screen protector.
View attachment 917594
This is not as high quality as the Mr. Shield or iCarez matte protectors I've used on my other tablets, but it's the only one available, serves the purpose, and is cheap enough. The Tab A's screen's resolution, brightness, and vibrancy makes reading with the matte protector a real joy.

Performance continues to be as it was at the beginning and after years of using.
Nice look! Thanks for the initial info on this tablet.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Another update...
I finally got around to testing the multi-window capabilities on the Galaxy A 10.1.

I have been so frustrated with how limited the iPad (Pro and non) is when it comes to multi-window support that I eventually stopped using it. On iPadOS it is up to individual apps to support multi-window (rather than a system-wide thing) and side-by-side window only (making it only usable in landscape mode). Most of the iPadOS apps that I use on a regular basis still don't support multi-window.

Multi-window support on the Galaxy A 10.1 is much nicer than what is on iPadOS. Not only can I use multi-window in side-by-side landscape mode, but I can have one window stacked on top of another in portrait mode (which is very helpful and natural when holding the tablet while sitting on the couch). In addition to having 2 apps open, I can have a 3rd in a pop-up resizable, movable view. In this photo, web browser in the upper window, Google News in the lower, Youtube in the pop-up window.

split-window.png
Very impressive for a $200 tablet.

I also picked up the official keyboard case. It MSRP's for $100, but at $25, I couldn't pass it up just for the curiosity of it. It doesn't add too much bulk (considering it is a full case with keyboard), but it does add significant weight to it. (especially since I had been using the tablet with just a skin on the back and matte screen protector on the front).

case-kickstand.png
The keyboard is well constructed and key layout is about as good as can be expected given the size. Decent key travel but the keys are a bit stiff. The back of the case has a built-in kickstand with a continuous range of angles.

One nice surprise is that the back of the case easily detaches from the keyboard so that it can be used as a simple kickstand. (that should be very helpful when using it during air travel)
case-detached.png

I've own this tablet for a little over a year now and it still going strong. No slow downs. In an uncharacteristic move for Samsung, they made an update available to Android 10. I know that the A series is often overlooked in favor of the more capable (and more expensive) S tabs, but this A 10.1 continues to be a great value. (I think Samsung just released the Tab A7 that is a 10.4" screen).

The Lenovo Duet Chromebook tablet caught my eye, but at $300 for the 128GB model without a headphone jack nor SD card slot, I just don't see the value compared to this.

I also did some playing around with the Tab A 10.1 and a USB-C hub with great success. When I get some time, I'll do a little more tinkering and post my experiences.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I have had my Tab A for close to a year and I am still happy with it. I recently got the new iPad 8th generation as I had a gift certificate that had to be used at the Apple reseller in town. Those two tablets and my Samsung Galaxy S10e phone are doing all I require. I currently don’t have a desktop or laptop so it will be interesting to see if I can remain that way.

Kudos to @sracer for his ongoing exploration and reporting.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have had my Tab A for close to a year and I am still happy with it. I recently got the new iPad 8th generation as I had a gift certificate that had to be used at the Apple reseller in town. Those two tablets and my Samsung Galaxy S10e phone are doing all I require. I currently don’t have a desktop or laptop so it will be interesting to see if I can remain that way.

Kudos to @sracer for his ongoing exploration and reporting.
Thanks for the kind words. The S10e is a great phone. I've got the A20 and for my meager use cases it feels like a flagship. ?

Reactions: Expos of 1969

servenvolley

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
South Carolina
Hi Sracer, I saw at the beginning of this post topic where you were coming away from Amazon Fire tablet(s). I just picked up the Fire HD8 for about 54 dollars on Prime Day. It's not a bad tablet for the money although I just received it and have only had a couple days with it. Would you mind going over what you liked about them and what you felt was limiting about them. I do have an Amazon Prime account so much of those services come "preloaded" as it were. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.