Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hi everybody:

I'm thinking of buying a tablet. I need it for reading and browsing, but, as now I am in my holiday time, I could wait some weeks (say, until october) and later buy an iPad.

However, I also could buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tomorrow (or even today afternoon). I've been playing with it in my nearest shopping center and, at least from the point of view of screen quality, weight and beauty, it seems awesome! Unfortunately, while using it in the few minutes I could, I found its user interface more laggy than I wish. I also saw it has too much bloatware. Do you think this stuff may ruin the user experience?

I suppose an iPad will also have some lag and I know it has a little bit of bloatware (GameCenter, for example).

Thank you.

PS: I am a Mac user.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don’t have the S tab but I do have the note pro 12.2 and there is zero lag for me. I think alot depends on different units may not be perfect. For what you want it for it seems like a good fit. I’ve seen them in store and the screen is simply stunning.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
I don’t have the S tab but I do have the note pro 12.2 and there is zero lag for me. I think alot depends on different units may not be perfect. For what you want it for it seems like a good fit. I’ve seen them in store and the screen is simply stunning.

Curiously I have been using a Note Pro 12.2 because a friend owns one. As you say, it doesn't experiment any kind of lag. Could the Tab S be different?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Curiously I have been using a Note Pro 12.2 because a friend owns one. As you say, it doesn't experiment any kind of lag. Could the Tab S be different?
You would expect so, unless the display slows things down but it shouldn't. Not unless you have like 15 apps running or something

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I have a Tab S 8.4.

I'm quite impressed with this tablet. User experience is excellent. The display is gorgeous.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, it is very fast and good CPU Snapdragon 800 2.3GHz and with 2GB of RAM.

I advise you to get the Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 instead of the Tab S 10.5 becuase they are just the same tablets but the only difference is the Tab S 10.5 has a Super AMOLED display that means movies, photos will look better than on the Tab Pro 10.1 that has a LCD display but it is still good at showing movies, photos at very good colors.

And by the way the Tab Pro 10.1 is way cheaper than the Tab S 10.5 and has the priced reduced by alot in the last couple of months. :)

fewlio

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
Hi everybody:

I'm thinking of buying a tablet. I need it for reading and browsing, but, as now I am in my holiday time, I could wait some weeks (say, until october) and later buy an iPad.

However, I also could buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tomorrow (or even today afternoon). I've been playing with it in my nearest shopping center and, at least from the point of view of screen quality, weight and beauty, it seems awesome! Unfortunately, while using it in the few minutes I could, I found its user interface more laggy than I wish. I also saw it has too much bloatware. Do you think this stuff may ruin the user experience?

I suppose an iPad will also have some lag and I know it has a little bit of bloatware (GameCenter, for example).

Thank you.

PS: I am a Mac user.

Just returned a tab s 10.5. open 5+ tabs then try selecting the tabs, see if they often don't close instead of being selected. Without zoomin, try clicking on macrumors forum page numbers for multi page threads, see if it doesn't click the wrong one or simply do nothing at all. Tried two tab s units and all were the same. On top of that the experience is laggy and choppy for a 500-600 dollar device.

Got a surface pro 3. The 800 dollar unit is a better value than 500+ on tab s no doubt. Smooth as silk and apple level fit and finish. Amazing.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
I have just bought the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 to replace an aging Nexus 10 and it is ideal for Web-browsing and watching movies with the advantage of some laptop features such as splitscreen multi-tasking and removeable 128 Gb storage.

Fingerprint unlocking works well too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.