Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I got my pre-ordered Galaxy Tab S6 128GB LTE today and here are some initial thoughts:

-Build quality seems fine, definitely nothing to complain here.

-The groove for the S-Pen at the back is somewhat awkward now that I'm still without a case. One of the reasons I bought this tablet is the Book Cover keyboard that has an actual touchpad embedded into it (finally!). I will be getting the aforementioned Book Cover keyboard, but for whatever reason Samsung made it so that I couldn't bundle the cover to be delivered with the device itself. I had to wait until the tablet was delivered so that I could register it, and then I'll be soon getting a -50% discount code for the cover which I then can finally order. Phew. This could have been a lot simpler.

-Another major reason I went for the Tab S6 is the standalone DeX mode, which seems promising but which also waits for the Book Cover to arrive before I'll be using it a bit more regularly.

-The S-Pen has a nice feel to it and the latency is non-existent enough for my use. Then again, I'll be using the pen mostly for note-taking and annotation as I'm not much of a graphic artist.

-The display looks great and the built-in fingerprint scanner (sadly it's just an optical one, so a bit of a downgrade from the S10+) works fine.

-With the discounts I got the Tab S6 seems great value for the money. When I placed my pre-order, there was an additional -160€ discount shown on the Samsung site. It might have been a leftover from Tab S4 sales as the discount disappeared quite quickly after I had ordered mine. That combined with the -50% discount for the book cover means that I'll be paying 720€ total for the tablet + keyboard case + pen combo, something which would be 1413€ for the smallest LTE iPad Pro with a keyboard cover and the pencil (1333.9€ with the Logitech case instead of the Smart Keyboard). Even without the discounts the Samsung combo is "only" 960€, which is hundred of Euros less than the iPad Pro version. While tablet-optimized apps are still better on iOS, it seems like even the iPadOS 13 changes aren't going to match the productivity boosts offered by the trackpad in the keyboard cover and DeX mode (especially if they expand Linux on DeX to the tab S6), so unless I hit a deal-breaker on the S6, spending the iPad Pro money isn't that enticing. You may wonder why I excluded the cheaper iPad options, but for me at this point of 2019 it's USB-C or GTFO.

-Security updates are on June 2019 level. If I recall correctly, Samsung tablets are on a quarterly pace instead of monthly. A bit of a bummer, but I think I'll live with it thanks to other protections included in a modern Android.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I’ve been close to getting one of these, especially as I can get the keyboard cover for £50 & £100 off the device if I pre order. I really want away from Apple and the annoyances of iOS. But I just can’t give up a 12.9" iPad for something that’s 10.5". Too big of a difference for me, I loved the bigger size coming from a smaller iPad. If Samsung really wanted to try & rival the iPad, they need to match the size.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Nice! Jealous you already have it. I have a question and strange request for you if that’s ok? Does 1440P HDR show up while using the YouTube app? While watching the Real 4K LG Jazz HDR video, if you watch that in a pitch dark setting, is their visible banding present on the left side of the display around 1:46-1:47 with the green paint scene? It was very noticeable on my Tab S5e when paused in comparison to my Xs Max. Does the panel seem brighter than the S4/S5e?Anyways, if you could check on that I’d sure appreciate it!

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Nice! Jealous you already have it. I have a question and strange request for you if that’s ok? Does 1440P HDR show up while using the YouTube app? While watching the Real 4K LG Jazz HDR video, if you watch that in a pitch dark setting, is their visible banding present on the left side of the display around 1:46-1:47 with the green paint scene? It was very noticeable on my Tab S5e when paused in comparison to my Xs Max. Does the panel seem brighter than the S4/S5e?Anyways, if you could check on that I’d sure appreciate it!

I have no experience of the S4/S5e so it's hard to say, but I'll test what I can once I get home from work and find a sufficiently dark place :)

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I got my pre-ordered Galaxy Tab S6 128GB LTE today and here are some initial thoughts:

-Build quality seems fine, definitely nothing to complain here.

-The groove for the S-Pen at the back is somewhat awkward now that I'm still without a case. One of the reasons I bought this tablet is the Book Cover keyboard that has an actual touchpad embedded into it (finally!). I will be getting the aforementioned Book Cover keyboard, but for whatever reason Samsung made it so that I couldn't bundle the cover to be delivered with the device itself. I had to wait until the tablet was delivered so that I could register it, and then I'll be soon getting a -50% discount code for the cover which I then can finally order. Phew. This could have been a lot simpler.

-Another major reason I went for the Tab S6 is the standalone DeX mode, which seems promising but which also waits for the Book Cover to arrive before I'll be using it a bit more regularly.

-The S-Pen has a nice feel to it and the latency is non-existent enough for my use. Then again, I'll be using the pen mostly for note-taking and annotation as I'm not much of a graphic artist.

-The display looks great and the built-in fingerprint scanner (sadly it's just an optical one, so a bit of a downgrade from the S10+) works fine.

-With the discounts I got the Tab S6 seems great value for the money. When I placed my pre-order, there was an additional -160€ discount shown on the Samsung site. It might have been a leftover from Tab S4 sales as the discount disappeared quite quickly after I had ordered mine. That combined with the -50% discount for the book cover means that I'll be paying 720€ total for the tablet + keyboard case + pen combo, something which would be 1413€ for the smallest LTE iPad Pro with a keyboard cover and the pencil (1333.9€ with the Logitech case instead of the Smart Keyboard). Even without the discounts the Samsung combo is "only" 960€, which is hundred of Euros less than the iPad Pro version. While tablet-optimized apps are still better on iOS, it seems like even the iPadOS 13 changes aren't going to match the productivity boosts offered by the trackpad in the keyboard cover and DeX mode (especially if they expand Linux on DeX to the tab S6), so unless I hit a deal-breaker on the S6, spending the iPad Pro money isn't that enticing. You may wonder why I excluded the cheaper iPad options, but for me at this point of 2019 it's USB-C or GTFO.

-Security updates are on June 2019 level. If I recall correctly, Samsung tablets are on a quarterly pace instead of monthly. A bit of a bummer, but I think I'll live with it thanks to other protections included in a modern Android.

Wake me up when the TabS devices or line ships with a 120Hz Display.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

1440p60 HDR mode is there indeed. I also checked that part of the video and didn't notice anything funny there. I took a short video of it on my phone if you're interested in seeing for yourself.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
1440p60 HDR mode is there indeed. I also checked that part of the video and didn't notice anything funny there. I took a short video of it on my phone if you're interested in seeing for yourself.

Sweet! That’s great to hear. I appreciate it. Yeah, that would be great! Thanks.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Oh wow, I hadn't realized there was quite a nice feature (to put it mildly) included in this one. The menu you can swipe in from the right isn't just a similar edge shortcut menu as in the S10+ but it's actually a quick split screen menu. You can add six different apps there and while the first one goes fullscreen similarly as edge shortcuts, if you open the menu again and select another app it automatically goes into split screen and any subsequent openings of the menu switch the bottom/right app depending on the orientation until you exit split screen.

If you heard a weird sound, that was just my split screen usage going through the roof. This one gets 6 out of 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.