Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
As an iPad user since the first generation and an iPadPro user since 2017 as a laptop, I want to discuss my impressions after a week of use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+.

Design.

We have a fairly landscape design with a 16:10 format, with 12.4" AMOLED with a resolution of 1752 x 2800 pixels and 120hz. The frames are quite reduced, similar to what we see in other competing tablets.

VzIOnpY.jpeg

YQWld2e.jpeg

jHF5bnJ.jpeg

ufE6DjM.jpeg

The device is very thin, 5.7mm, and is light, 586gr, so using it in the hand is much more comfortable despite the size of the screen. Compared to my 12.9" iPad Pro, the Samsung is much more comfortable to use in the hand, it is lighter and thinner, although it does not feel fragile, as some iPads do.

fmBoq2T.jpeg

D2XwSyr.jpeg

It feels solid and robust, which surprised me positively. The feel of the buttons is quite solid.

On the sides we have 4 AKG speakers, the USB-C, the microphones and the 3-pin keyboard connector, similar to the iPad. On the back we have two cameras and a flash and a hole for the Spen, where it charges. The Spen can also be placed horizontally on the right side, it is magnetically attached, although it does not charge, but it is more handy when used with a keyboard.

Overall it is a tablet with a very good build quality, according to its price. It is very light and thin, making it much more comfortable to hold in the hand than other alternatives. However, perhaps out of habit, I find the iPad's squarer proportion more comfortable for productivity, although for consuming content the Samsung's screen is better.

The screen has good definition and resolution, with fairly vivid and contrasting colors, without becoming overly saturated. Brightness is good and glare is not excessive. The miniLED screen of the iPad Pro is perhaps a little better in terms of color calibration and reflections, but the Samsung, being AMOLED has better blacks and contrast.

The AKG sound is good, it has equalizer and different sound modes to adapt it to your taste. However, I consider the iPad's audio to be more loud and enveloping.

Software.

The tablet has OneUI 6.0 and Android 14, at the time of writing this still did not have the update to OneUI 6.1 with Galaxy AI features.

I've been using a Google Pixel 8 Pro as a second phone for a while, whose PixelOS layer I find very nice and aesthetic and the truth is that when you first set up a Samsung product you are overwhelmed by the amount of options, settings and customization.

It has a normal mode and a Dex mode, which makes the tablet practically a computer apparently. It has a multi-window mode that allows up to three simultaneous apps, it has gestures to switch apps quickly, the dock can be hidden or not, and with the Dex mode, you can have multiple windows. Undoubtedly, in this sense, the Samsung is a step above the iPad and iPadOS, since the Stage Manager is very complex to use on the device itself, being more usable when you answer the iPad to a monitor and SplitView and SlideOver options, being very good, are clearly more limited than on the Samsung.

rGq9AAA.jpeg

xjti6fO.jpeg

RV581iV.jpeg

6mmwaEl.jpeg

When it comes to the quality of apps, iPadOS is ahead. This is something that is already noticeable on mobiles, but on tablets it is more evident. In the end all apps are scaled from the phone and even Twitter (X), on the iPadOS is adapted to the larger interface of the device, while on Android, it is the same as on the phone, but larger.

On the Galaxy Tab S9+ it comes with different apps like Lumafusion, Good Notes and Clip Studio, good apps for video editing, note taking and drawing. However, Procreate or Pixelmator Photo on the iPad are far superior apps to Lightroom (which needs subscription instead of one-time payment like Pixelmator) or Clip Studio. .

Regarding the Spen, it comes with the tablet (not the charger), is small and light, has a customizable button and for writing I like it better than Apple's Apple Pencil. However, for drawing, the Apple Pencil is better than the Spen, thanks to the pencil itself that allows you to tilt it to make shadows, for example, and the quality of the Procreate app, which is excellent.

dDJfFGz.jpeg

The Spen is loaded at the back and can be fixed at the top right when in landscape mode.

The tablet has a fairly fast fingerprint sensor and facial recognition as well.

I like Samsung's security suite, Knox, having many features that Apple incorporates, which I think is very positive for the consumer.

The autonomy of the tablet is correct, around 8-10 hours. With the 45W charger it charges in just over an hour, much faster than the 12.9" iPad Pro which with the 35W charger takes almost two hours to charge.

I also bought the keyboard (without trackpad) for it which looks like the iPad Pro's Smart Keyboard Folio. The feel of the case is similar, silicone type, but the keyboard has traditional keys and does not have the keyboard "built in" to the case, so the feel of the keys is better on the Samsung. However, when you close the tablet, it is not completely "glued" and moves a little. The case has an opening at the top to store the Spen without having to remove the case. It doesn't make it much heavier or fatter, making it quite comfortable to travel with. Like the Apple cases, they stain fairly easily.

It only has a 60° position unlike the full keyboard case which has a Surface style stand or the iPad Smart Keyboard Folio which has two positions.

Hardware.

It has the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, 12GB of RAM and 512GB in this case, expandable by microSD up to 1TB.

It has enough power to do anything, although it is true that the iPad Pro with the M2 or even the Air with the M1 is better, since they have "computer" processors. The problem with the iPad is that this power is not accompanied by a software that makes the most of it, something that Android allows, especially in relation to everything related to multitasking, background tasks, etc..

You won't have any complaints in this regard and everything you do will be done very quickly, even complex tasks that use AI.

Conclusions.

After a week of using it as my main tablet, I honestly like it a lot. It has much better stuff than the iPad and the iPad has better stuff than the Galaxy.

In terms of apps, for me the iPad has the upper hand, it has many dedicated apps for the iPad, especially for illustration (Procreate) and photo and video editing (Pixelmator Photo, Logic Pro). Then more common apps, such as X/Twitter are better optimized for the device's larger screen size.

As for multitasking, OneUI is way ahead of Apple, both in the "normal" version and in the Dex version. For my taste, SplitView and SlideOver are quite intuitive and easy to use, but Samsung's multiview is far superior, much more customizable and the gestures, once you get the hang of it, work very well.

The Office suite on both is similar. Aesthetically somewhat more neat on iPadOS, but the functionalities are exactly the same, so in the end we have a limited Office suite.

The fact that it is light and comfortable to hold in the hand and the fact that it is well built and feels solid in the hand makes it comfortable to use in touch mode, more so than the 12.9" iPad Pro.

As for the screen format if it's true that I like Apple's square format better, especially when you're using it for productivity. For viewing content, the Samsung is better.

Finally there is the price.

Currently the version I have, the 5G, 512GB and 12GB of RAM, plus the keyboard costs 1300€.

If we compare it to the iPad Pro 12.9 5G 512GB with Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard Folio (not the Magic Keyboard, which is even more expensive) it costs 2427€.

Is it worth the difference? If for you the ecosystem and the specific applications are paramount, surely yes, but objectively the difference, for a basic office use (internet, documents, video, social networks), is not worth it. The Samsung device is excellent, has a good screen, good audio, a fairly powerful security suite, and excellent performance.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Great write up and awesome timing!

My "gen-1" iPad Pro 9.7" (w/logi keyboard case) is getting a little long in the tooth and I've been looking into what's next.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I just replaced an S8 with the S9 plus. The 8 was my son’s and I acquired it from him once he got an IPP. I myself have an M2 11” IPP and truly prefer the iOS ecosystem having all Apple hardware, but I have to say the screen on the 9+ is truly amazing, the sound is great and the machine is very fast. An impressive machine for less than a 9th gen iPad after trade-in.

Reactions: phobic99 and RSB96

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
Bump
I am thinking of getting the S9 plus. I need a tablet for my law studies and just watching movies.
I was going to get an ipad but I can get a lot of discount with the Samsung which means it will be much cheaper.

A couple of months on, how are you finding it? One of thr major benefits of the ipad is the note taking apps that are available on ios with notability and Good notes. I know good notes is now on android, but I've heard its not as good as on ios.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
Very well done. Guess writing reviews is nothing new.
I have 2 Samsung tablets. Both are long in the tooth, even the one from 2021.
My Galaxy Tab A from 2019 is my favorite even though it is on Android 11.
With only 3 GB RAM it is better that way.
My Galaxy Tab A7 lite is from 2021 and already out of date.
I'm afraid to convert the cost to US dollars for the Tab S9+.
If I have to ask, I can't afford it.
What I really want are desktop/laptop style browsers.
Guess that points me in the direction of Chromebook.
Nice to see if you spend enough money for either Apple or Samsung you get a flash on the back camera.
I know a slate is huge as a camera, and bulky, but I am one without a smart phone.
It looks like a Mail app I've never seen on both tablets.
Please do tell what it is.

Reactions: RSB96

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
Very well done. Guess writing reviews is nothing new.
I have 2 Samsung tablets. Both are long in the tooth, even the one from 2021.
My Galaxy Tab A from 2019 is my favorite even though it is on Android 11.
With only 3 GB RAM it is better that way.
My Galaxy Tab A7 lite is from 2021 and already out of date.
I'm afraid to convert the cost to US dollars for the Tab S9+.
If I have to ask, I can't afford it.
What I really want are desktop/laptop style browsers.
Guess that points me in the direction of Chromebook.
Nice to see if you spend enough money for either Apple or Samsung you get a flash on the back camera.
I know a slate is huge as a camera, and bulky, but I am one without a smart phone.
It looks like a Mail app I've never seen on both tablets.
Please do tell what it is.

On the iPad I use the native Mail app and on the Samsung I use the Outlook app (which is my primary mail). The cameras are normal. One of the things that bothered me the most on the iPad Air is the lack of flash, while the iPad mini has it.

Bump
I am thinking of getting the S9 plus. I need a tablet for my law studies and just watching movies.
I was going to get an ipad but I can get a lot of discount with the Samsung which means it will be much cheaper.

A couple of months on, how are you finding it? One of thr major benefits of the ipad is the note taking apps that are available on ios with notability and Good notes. I know good notes is now on android, but I've heard its not as good as on ios.

If you want the best apps for class, the iPad is still much better. I still think the consistency and homogeneity of the system on iOS/iPadOS is far superior.

I've been using the Google Photos app on the Samsung today and horizontally it doesn't rotate, which I think is a pretty big mistake.

Apart from those details, the tablet works very well and the new AI features are very interesting, allowing you to summarize web pages, the notes app is very advanced and has many useful features... it can be very interesting for class as well.

I'm mainly using the iPad Pro and I still like it better because I'm more used to it, but the Samsung is a very good device.

Reactions: DaPhox

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
The mail app I'm looking at is all the way to the right on the iPad, right of the X app.
Android has more apps that don't rotate.
It also gives me more issues with an app not being compatible with my device.
My banking app is not compatible with any of my Android tablets.
It is funky like an iPhone app on my iPad, but works.
The keyboard is an iPhone keyboard.
If I were going to go all tablet, I need a way to import/export bookmarks.
Only DuckDuckGo does that but is still in Beta and pretty lackluster.
My iPad is mostly a better device. It is the 7th Gen. (2019) and I got it refurbished.
It is 32 GB and I've had to remove many apps to keep it going.
Running 17.5.2 Public Beta. Has never slowed down.
Rumors are I will not have access to iPad OS 18.
There might be a legitimate reason, or Tim needs a new yacht.
Apple is better at support on low end tablets.
I'm cheap because I have to be.
My iPad is the last one to offer 32 GB.
Five years later, they should not be offering 64 GB.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
Ah, that's Telegram, the messaging app I use the most, since I hate WhatsApp (in Europe iMessage has hardly any presence).

Yes, my bank's app is not available on the Samsung tablet either, although on the iPad I prefer to enter from the browser for convenience, like instagram, for example.

I suppose it's possible that all the AI features that iOS 18 is going to implement will be the biggest barrier to those iPads, especially since it's rumored that much of it will run on the device itself.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
On the iPad I use the native Mail app and on the Samsung I use the Outlook app (which is my primary mail). The cameras are normal. One of the things that bothered me the most on the iPad Air is the lack of flash, while the iPad mini has it.

If you want the best apps for class, the iPad is still much better. I still think the consistency and homogeneity of the system on iOS/iPadOS is far superior.

I've been using the Google Photos app on the Samsung today and horizontally it doesn't rotate, which I think is a pretty big mistake.

Apart from those details, the tablet works very well and the new AI features are very interesting, allowing you to summarize web pages, the notes app is very advanced and has many useful features... it can be very interesting for class as well.

I'm mainly using the iPad Pro and I still like it better because I'm more used to it, but the Samsung is a very good device.
Do you use a screen protector or case with your Galaxy tab?

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
As an iPad user since the first generation and an iPadPro user since 2017 as a laptop, I want to discuss my impressions after a week of use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+.

Design.

We have a fairly landscape design with a 16:10 format, with 12.4" AMOLED with a resolution of 1752 x 2800 pixels and 120hz. The frames are quite reduced, similar to what we see in other competing tablets.

VzIOnpY.jpeg

YQWld2e.jpeg

jHF5bnJ.jpeg

ufE6DjM.jpeg

The device is very thin, 5.7mm, and is light, 586gr, so using it in the hand is much more comfortable despite the size of the screen. Compared to my 12.9" iPad Pro, the Samsung is much more comfortable to use in the hand, it is lighter and thinner, although it does not feel fragile, as some iPads do.

fmBoq2T.jpeg

D2XwSyr.jpeg

It feels solid and robust, which surprised me positively. The feel of the buttons is quite solid.

On the sides we have 4 AKG speakers, the USB-C, the microphones and the 3-pin keyboard connector, similar to the iPad. On the back we have two cameras and a flash and a hole for the Spen, where it charges. The Spen can also be placed horizontally on the right side, it is magnetically attached, although it does not charge, but it is more handy when used with a keyboard.

Overall it is a tablet with a very good build quality, according to its price. It is very light and thin, making it much more comfortable to hold in the hand than other alternatives. However, perhaps out of habit, I find the iPad's squarer proportion more comfortable for productivity, although for consuming content the Samsung's screen is better.

The screen has good definition and resolution, with fairly vivid and contrasting colors, without becoming overly saturated. Brightness is good and glare is not excessive. The miniLED screen of the iPad Pro is perhaps a little better in terms of color calibration and reflections, but the Samsung, being AMOLED has better blacks and contrast.

The AKG sound is good, it has equalizer and different sound modes to adapt it to your taste. However, I consider the iPad's audio to be more loud and enveloping.

Software.

The tablet has OneUI 6.0 and Android 14, at the time of writing this still did not have the update to OneUI 6.1 with Galaxy AI features.

I've been using a Google Pixel 8 Pro as a second phone for a while, whose PixelOS layer I find very nice and aesthetic and the truth is that when you first set up a Samsung product you are overwhelmed by the amount of options, settings and customization.

It has a normal mode and a Dex mode, which makes the tablet practically a computer apparently. It has a multi-window mode that allows up to three simultaneous apps, it has gestures to switch apps quickly, the dock can be hidden or not, and with the Dex mode, you can have multiple windows. Undoubtedly, in this sense, the Samsung is a step above the iPad and iPadOS, since the Stage Manager is very complex to use on the device itself, being more usable when you answer the iPad to a monitor and SplitView and SlideOver options, being very good, are clearly more limited than on the Samsung.

rGq9AAA.jpeg

xjti6fO.jpeg

RV581iV.jpeg

6mmwaEl.jpeg

When it comes to the quality of apps, iPadOS is ahead. This is something that is already noticeable on mobiles, but on tablets it is more evident. In the end all apps are scaled from the phone and even Twitter (X), on the iPadOS is adapted to the larger interface of the device, while on Android, it is the same as on the phone, but larger.

On the Galaxy Tab S9+ it comes with different apps like Lumafusion, Good Notes and Clip Studio, good apps for video editing, note taking and drawing. However, Procreate or Pixelmator Photo on the iPad are far superior apps to Lightroom (which needs subscription instead of one-time payment like Pixelmator) or Clip Studio. .

Regarding the Spen, it comes with the tablet (not the charger), is small and light, has a customizable button and for writing I like it better than Apple's Apple Pencil. However, for drawing, the Apple Pencil is better than the Spen, thanks to the pencil itself that allows you to tilt it to make shadows, for example, and the quality of the Procreate app, which is excellent.

dDJfFGz.jpeg

The Spen is loaded at the back and can be fixed at the top right when in landscape mode.

I like Samsung's security suite, Knox, having many features that Apple incorporates, which I think is very positive for the consumer.

The autonomy of the tablet is correct, around 8-10 hours. With the 45W charger it charges in just over an hour, much faster than the 12.9" iPad Pro which with the 35W charger takes almost two hours to charge.

I also bought the keyboard (without trackpad) for it which looks like the iPad Pro's Smart Keyboard Folio. The feel of the case is similar, silicone type, but the keyboard has traditional keys and does not have the keyboard "built in" to the case, so the feel of the keys is better on the Samsung. However, when you close the tablet, it is not completely "glued" and moves a little. The case has an opening at the top to store the Spen without having to remove the case. It doesn't make it much heavier or fatter, making it quite comfortable to travel with. Like the Apple cases, they stain fairly easily.

It only has a 60° position unlike the full keyboard case which has a Surface style stand or the iPad Smart Keyboard Folio which has two positions.

Hardware.

It has the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, 12GB of RAM and 512GB in this case, expandable by microSD up to 1TB.

It has enough power to do anything, although it is true that the iPad Pro with the M2 or even the Air with the M1 is better, since they have "computer" processors. The problem with the iPad is that this power is not accompanied by a software that makes the most of it, something that Android allows, especially in relation to everything related to multitasking, background tasks, etc..

You won't have any complaints in this regard and everything you do will be done very quickly, even complex tasks that use AI.

Conclusions.

After a week of using it as my main tablet, I honestly like it a lot. It has much better stuff than the iPad and the iPad has better stuff than the Galaxy.

In terms of apps, for me the iPad has the upper hand, it has many dedicated apps for the iPad, especially for illustration (Procreate) and photo and video editing (Pixelmator Photo, Logic Pro). Then more common apps, such as X/Twitter are better optimized for the device's larger screen size.

As for multitasking, OneUI is way ahead of Apple, both in the "normal" version and in the Dex version. For my taste, SplitView and SlideOver are quite intuitive and easy to use, but Samsung's multiview is far superior, much more customizable and the gestures, once you get the hang of it, work very well.

The Office suite on both is similar. Aesthetically somewhat more neat on iPadOS, but the functionalities are exactly the same, so in the end we have a limited Office suite.

The fact that it is light and comfortable to hold in the hand and the fact that it is well built and feels solid in the hand makes it comfortable to use in touch mode, more so than the 12.9" iPad Pro.

As for the screen format if it's true that I like Apple's square format better, especially when you're using it for productivity. For viewing content, the Samsung is better.

Currently the version I have, the 5G, 512GB and 12GB of RAM, plus the keyboard costs 1300€.

If we compare it to the iPad Pro 12.9 5G 512GB with Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard Folio (not the Magic Keyboard, which is even more expensive) it costs 2427€.

Is it worth the difference? If for you the ecosystem and the specific applications are paramount, surely yes, but objectively the difference, for a basic office use (internet, documents, video, social networks), is not worth it. The Samsung device is excellent, has a good screen, good audio, a fairly powerful security suite, and excellent performance.
It would be interesting to the see the iPad Pros 2024 upgrades. The 2022 iPad Pros didn’t bring anything majorly new.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
Do you use a screen protector or case with your Galaxy tab?
I don't use screen protectors, neither on the iPad nor on the Samsung.

I bought the official Samsung case, with the keyboard, but without trackpad. It is a very similar material to that of the iPad, perhaps a bit dirtier still. It has a hole in the back to store the pencil, so it's not bad.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Design.

VzIOnpY.jpeg

YQWld2e.jpeg

jHF5bnJ.jpeg

ufE6DjM.jpeg

fmBoq2T.jpeg

D2XwSyr.jpeg

Software.

rGq9AAA.jpeg

xjti6fO.jpeg

RV581iV.jpeg

6mmwaEl.jpeg

dDJfFGz.jpeg

Hardware.

Conclusions.

Great review.

For me, the biggest problem with iPads nowadays is the price and only having 120Hz with the Pros. I don't use the tablet as a laptop replacement, but I do want 120Hz, so I'm spending more than a laptop just to get that one must feature for me.

That's why I went with the Xiaomi Pad 6S Pro. Just 700€ with the keyboard and also has excellent hardware and software (but needs more polish).

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
Great review.

For me, the biggest problem with iPads nowadays is the price and only having 120Hz with the Pros. I don't use the tablet as a laptop replacement, but I do want 120Hz, so I'm spending more than a laptop just to get that one must feature for me.

That's why I went with the Xiaomi Pad 6S Pro. Just 700€ with the keyboard and also has excellent hardware and software (but needs more polish).
Is the Xiaomi better than the Galaxy Tab?

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
I don't use screen protectors, neither on the iPad nor on the Samsung.

I bought the official Samsung case, with the keyboard, but without trackpad. It is a very similar material to that of the iPad, perhaps a bit dirtier still. It has a hole in the back to store the pencil, so it's not bad.
How is the keyboard? Is it similar to the Magic keyboard for the iPad?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Can't talk much about the Tab since I don't own one. I'd say software wise Samsung is better, no doubt. Xiaomi on the other hand gives you more hardware (like storage, 120W charger or 144Hz) for less money, and software is good enough nowadays, but still needs more polish. I also like the screen aspect ratio of the Xiaomi more, but it's not OLED as Samsung. I also prefer OneUI more on my S24+.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain

How is the keyboard? Is it similar to the Magic keyboard for the iPad?

In my opinion Samsung is a better option than Xioami, especially for technical service and software. Xioami has better hardware, but the after-sales service is bad and the software is terrible, with many problems that have not been solved for years.

As for the keyboard, I find the iPad's keyboard more reliable. The feel of the keyboard is much more solid and robust on the iPad. On the Samsung there are times when it doesn't recognize uppercase and lowercase well and it gets a little crazy and feels a little frustrating. I also don't like when you are in Word and it changes the word by itself (by autocorrect) and puts anything random.

On the iPad the keyboard is not so erratic.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
In my opinion Samsung is a better option than Xioami, especially for technical service and software. Xioami has better hardware, but the after-sales service is bad and the software is terrible, with many problems that have not been solved for years.

As for the keyboard, I find the iPad's keyboard more reliable. The feel of the keyboard is much more solid and robust on the iPad. On the Samsung there are times when it doesn't recognize uppercase and lowercase well and it gets a little crazy and feels a little frustrating. I also don't like when you are in Word and it changes the word by itself (by autocorrect) and puts anything random.

On the iPad the keyboard is not so erratic.
Thanks
I think I won't buy the keyboard then! I mostly going to use the Samsung to annotate documents and watch movies anyways so I don't think they keyboard is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.