Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
If this is what the Samsung Galaxy X is going to look like sign me up!

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjaymcgregor%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F03%2FSamsung-galaxy-x.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcg...-in-new-leak-release-date-specs/#75093e1140ff

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
Until I see a solution that isn’t a plastic display nor is susceptible to a crease where the display folds, I’ll remain quite skeptical.
Don't think they can make a foldable glass display. Take a wine glass and try to bend it a little (without heating it up)... YOU CAN'T!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Don't think they can make a foldable glass display. Take a wine glass and try to bend it a little (without heating it up)... YOU CAN'T!

Of course. My point was more along the lines of unless they can come up with something better than plastic it’s the associated creases/irregularities, I’ll stick with flat glass an its associated limitations.

Reactions: Breaking Good

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Of course. My point was more along the lines of unless they can come up with something better than plastic it’s the associated creases/irregularities, I’ll stick with flat glass an its associated limitations.

I cannot imagine a consumer ready foldable screen will include creases down the middle. That would pretty much defeat the purpose of having a screen you can expand.

Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I cannot imagine a consumer ready foldable screen will include creases down the middle. That would pretty much defeat the purpose of having a screen you can expand.

I don’t expect a crease a la the center of a book but rather a spot wear the screen has to fold. Take a look at any of the recent prototypes and the spot where the screen folds is clearly noticeable and it wears differently since that where the display has to fold over and over. And as TC was so kind to point out, glass doesn’t fold. I’ve never met a plastic display that I’ve like—I’ll stick to flat, hard glass for the time being.

Edit: This Lenova prototype is a perfect example of what I’m talking about:

Foldable and rigid are opposing properties. If Samsung can solve this dicotomy, I’m in line with everyone else. Until then, color me very skeptical.

[doublepost=1524179048][/doublepost]
Or the curved glass of Samsung phones?

Absolutely not this—one of my biggest pet peeves with the last 3 generation of Galaxy phones. To say I dislike the curved edges and the effect it has on the display would be putting it mildly.

Last edited:

TC_GoldRush

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Nevada, USA
Absolutely not this—one of my biggest pet peeves with the last 3 generation of Galaxy phones. To say I dislike the curved edges and the effect it has on the display would be putting it mildly
What effect does it have on the glass? Don't say it glares, because it doesn't with the brightness turned up, and the battery life on those things are a force to be reckoned with.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
First generation might not be good. I do not thinknI would want a foldable device.

btw it looks huge!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What effect does it have on the glass? Don't say it glares, because it doesn't with the brightness turned up, and the battery life on those things are a force to be reckoned with.

Of course it glares, and distorts the content under the curve. It may not bother you, but it does me.

As far as battery, I haven’t owned the latest generations so I won’t presume to offer personal opinions on battery performance. That be said, most online reviews and first hand accounts seem to imply that battery life is just OK—not terrible but not exceptional either.

All I’m saying is that all early prototypes or indications show a user experience with ‘bendable/foldable’ displays that isn’t enticing to me. I’ll wait to see real life examples before jumping on this bandwagon.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Or the curved glass of Samsung phones?
The curved displays on the Note 8 and S9 and S9 Plus are sooooo much better than the first couple of Galaxy phones with curved displays. I don't get any distortion at all on my S9+ and no false touches

Maybe this is what finally is coming to market with the Galaxy X

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The curved displays on the Note 8 and S9 and S9 Plus are sooooo much better than the first couple of Galaxy phones with curved displays. I don't get any distortion at all on my S9+ and no false touches

Maybe this is what finally is coming to market with the Galaxy X

Yeah using my Note8 and then going back to my S7 Edge is like day and night in terms of the Curved edges. I now feel like I lost screen real - estate with S7 as the edges did reflect and distort a bit but on the Note8 the curves are so gradual I notice them when swiping as the icons look like they still off near the end otherwise I do not notice the edges.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I don’t expect a crease a la the center of a book but rather a spot wear the screen has to fold. Take a look at any of the recent prototypes and the spot where the screen folds is clearly noticeable and it wears differently since that where the display has to fold over and over. And as TC was so kind to point out, glass doesn’t fold. I’ve never met a plastic display that I’ve like—I’ll stick to flat, hard glass for the time being.

Edit: This Lenova prototype is a perfect example of what I’m talking about:

Foldable and rigid are opposing properties. If Samsung can solve this dicotomy, I’m in line with everyone else. Until then, color me very skeptical.

[doublepost=1524179048][/doublepost]

Absolutely not this—one of my biggest pet peeves with the last 3 generation of Galaxy phones. To say I dislike the curved edges and the effect it has on the display would be putting it mildly.

I think the prototype was just that. That's why I stated anything consumer-ready wouldn't have that flaw. I don't know if the tech is there yet for mass production though, so on that part I'm skeptical. Plus this brings up a host of other questions. Is it more expensive to repair? How compact do the innards need to be to fit into the phone so as to leave room for it to bend? And if space is constrained on that point, does that mean the battery will take a hit?

Reactions: tbayrgs

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think the prototype was just that. That's why I stated anything consumer-ready wouldn't have that flaw. I don't know if the tech is there yet for mass production though, so on that part I'm skeptical. Plus this brings up a host of other questions. Is it more expensive to repair? How compact do the innards need to be to fit into the phone so as to leave room for it to bend? And if space is constrained on that point, does that mean the battery will take a hit?
I don't think they can economically mass produce this product. Like all new phones and gadgets...it will be costly to repair.

I think the biggest hurdle is the overall user experience and blending in the new hardware and functions into a nice software user experience that flows.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
This rumor mill has been churning for awhile now...

I'm definitely interested in seeing this phone come out in the next 18 months. I would like to get one if it is well-executed!

I've been holding onto my S6 edge+ waiting for 4K displays from Samsung flagships, etc. This one is very high on my list!

Reactions: Ralfi and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I will be excited to see this. If I were going to get something like this, it would be with an eye toward replacing my iPad mini 4, assuming Apple will just let that convenient size die.

But I’ll probably have to wait for generation 2 of it. We need a new living room sofa and chair to replace the 13 year old ones that have split open, and I’d love to also get a new carpet for the bedroom (the original builder grade white carpet has endured the accidents and muddy paws of previous owners’ dogs and ours for almost two decades). The Red iPhone 8 Plus was my last indulgence for a long, long time to come. :D

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I would be down for this. To me most phones (excluding iPhone X and S9) made these days are too big and unwieldy, especially in one handed use. Having a small albeit not the thinnest phone in my pocket that folds out to a small tablet would be more usable for me. Operate it as a phone for calls and just quickly checking things, fold it out to a tablet when browsing the internet or watching videos on the bus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.