Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

gsmarena_008.jpg
gsmarena_006.jpg

gsmarena_007.jpg

Wow this looks awesome! Much improved external screen, and sleek 2 tone color.

It gives me the retro GBA SP feel. :D

gbasp_screen004.jpg

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The Galaxy Z flip is an amazing phone. I would get one if i was not fully invested in Apples ecosystem. Just waiting for Apple to release their own flip version of the iphone.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The Galaxy Z flip is an amazing phone. I would get one if i was not fully invested in Apples ecosystem. Just waiting for Apple to release their own flip version of the iphone.

It's rumored Apple will have a Fold in 2023. But I don't think they will go Flip. Unless the make the SE the Flip. ?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I personally don't think the flip holds as much purpose as the fold but still good tech and it seems to be priced better this year

Reactions: Shanghaichica

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I personally don't think the flip holds as much purpose as the fold but still good tech and it seems to be priced better this year
I don’t know. I find myself to really fond of the Flip. I’m only turned off by the pricing. The fact that it is folded into a more compact form is quite a draw for me, and the larger outside screen of the Flip 3 will allow it to be more usable when folded. It should also be the answer for people wanting a smaller more pocket friendly phone.

We can only draw conclusions whether the Flip would be popular if Samsung can price it down to mid range level. Right now, the price itself put it as an extreme niche product. :D

Reactions: 5105973

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I really like the flip that I had, traded it for the Fold, but I am a big fan overall of the Flip. I just prefer bigger screens.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Flip looks ok, would have been much nicer if they just enlarged the screen to take up the entire closed half.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Flip looks ok, would have been much nicer if they just enlarged the screen to take up the entire closed half.
I thought the same... but then again why? Seems to me that screen is for quick glances of the notification that comes through... not for interacting with it.

If the screen covered the half, it would only encourage the same behavior... quick glance to check and if an action is needed, then open up the phone.

Reactions: Jhon Micheal

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I thought the same... but then again why? Seems to me that screen is for quick glances of the notification that comes through... not for interacting with it.

If the screen covered the half, it would only encourage the same behavior... quick glance to check and if an action is needed, then open up the phone.

I could see myself interacting with the closed screen a lot. I actually interact with my closed Fold 2 a ton, at least a 1/3 of the time if not more than having it open. 2 different phones of course, but sometimes you just don't want or need to flip it open, maybe if I'm just peeking at it in my pocket or using it one handed. You could also fit a lot more information on there. If those marketing pics are accurate you are getting what, 2 or 3 lines of text? That's really not very much, even if you can adjust the font/size and get a few more lines.

Plus it looks way cooler!!

Reactions: Jhon Micheal

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
You could also fit a lot more information on there. If those marketing pics are accurate you are getting what, 2 or 3 lines of text? That's really not very much, even if you can adjust the font/size and get a few more lines.

Plus it looks way cooler!!
I’m not denying that it would look much better that way, but the idea behind that outside screen would be getting a glance of notifications.

I don’t use the outside screen much on my Fold 2, but only for quick interactions.. I’m not a fan of that narrow display. And if they had a larger outside screen on the Flip 3, it would be for quick interactions or glances.. nothing more. What type of tasks you do on the outside display of the Fold 2?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I’m not denying that it would look much better that way, but the idea behind that outside screen would be getting a glance of notifications.

I don’t use the outside screen much on my Fold 2, but only for quick interactions.. I’m not a fan of that narrow display. And if they had a larger outside screen on the Flip 3, it would be for quick interactions or glances.. nothing more. What type of tasks you do on the outside display of the Fold 2?

I still think having more than 2 or 3 lines of text is useful, heck my wife's texts are usually double that! But a larger screen means you can also see more than 1 text, email, notification, etc.

On my Fold 2 I use the outer screen a ton, in particular if I'm using it one handed, it's pretty difficult to use one handed while it's open. Web browsing, news browsing, texting, emails, etc. Now if I can open the screen then I do so, but there are lots of times when it's just not feasible. That's why I actually prefer the narrow form factor. The only thing that sucks to do on the front screen is entering text on a keyboard with my fat fingers.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
1249 for Still a worse version of the s series ultra nah. Just not worthy it really unless you really need a small form factor

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Price seems good to me at $250 less than original release with upgrade to 5G, 2 cameras and bigger 2nd display etc

I have no idea why people think high end products should magically reduce 50% in price, maybe just wishful day dreaming :)

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
$999 for 128GB, larger external screen, and IPx8 rating, trading off telephoto lens (that tends to be present in this price range) for foldable.

Very very interesting now. And really tempting. Samsung priced this at around $1040 in my country, really nice, keeping price parity with US MSRP.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I LOVE the Flip 3.
I am so tempted, but didn't expect to want it so much. I really liked the OG Flip I had but there were a few issues with that which have seemingly been fixed here.

I wonder what those cameras are actually like. I don't care for Samsung's zoom AT ALL, so don't care there is no telephoto, but I wonder if there's any sort of software trickery to help it along.

Samsung offering £500 for my 64gb 12 mini, which I think is likely on par with what I'd get privately, so this is v tempting indeed.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I LOVE the Flip 3.
I am so tempted, but didn't expect to want it so much. I really liked the OG Flip I had but there were a few issues with that which have seemingly been fixed here.

I wonder what those cameras are actually like. I don't care for Samsung's zoom AT ALL, so don't care there is no telephoto, but I wonder if there's any sort of software trickery to help it along.

Samsung offering £500 for my 64gb 12 mini, which I think is likely on par with what I'd get privately, so this is v tempting indeed.
If I was looking for a $1000 phone, the Flip 3 will definitely be on my list. It ticks all the right boxes. Flagship specs, and a unique form factor (foldable). I'm amazed that Samsung can do an IPx8 rating on this.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
To me, the flip has a retro appeal (and also for women with small pockets/handbags!), whereas the fold is great for media consumption/productivity.
The latter is a large appeal I think. My wife really wants a flip because she is tired of trying to get big phones in and out of the small pockets that womans clothing designers have decided that woman need.

Reactions: mi7chy and 5105973

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I really like this phone, but it's doesn't fit my use case. If the Fold didn't exist, I would have jumped on this. I can actually see the Flip becoming more mainstream than the Fold.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Like the flip over the fold due to price but they only give $600 for my S21 Ultra.
Ouch. That is rough.
the trade in price for my Mini is also what has piqued my interest here.

I also really like the look of the Galaxy Watch 4. The non rotating bezel one. I currently have a S3 Apple Watch which I don’t actually like all that much. I was going to upgrade my AW this year possibly but may try a Flip and a GW 4 and see how that goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.