Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I know there's quite a bit of misunderstanding and criticism about mobile device support that doesn't have the name Apple. While Samsung in the past has had a tendency not to update a mobile devices OS or security updates it appears they are now actively pushing long term support on their products.

I have a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 tablet that was released mid 2015 and my tablet just received the Feb 2019 security update. While it's stuck on Android 7, it's nice that at least they are still pushing out security updates to their devices 4 years later.

Times they are a changing
-Bob Dylan

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I know there's quite a bit of misunderstanding and criticism about mobile device support that doesn't have the name Apple. While Samsung in the past has had a tendency not to update a mobile devices OS or security updates it appears they are now actively pushing long term support on their products.

I have a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 tablet that was released mid 2015 and my tablet just received the Feb 2019 security update. While it's stuck on Android 7, it's nice that at least they are still pushing out security updates to their devices 4 years later.

-Bob Dylan
Oh that IS good to know. Thank you for posting.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
They have definitely improved in that front. My S8+ is currently installing the March 2019 security patches while we're still well into March. The streak of Samsung releasing a security update for my S8+ during the same month the original Google patches came out is now 14 months and counting. Good to know that also tablets get maintained as I've been a little bit wary about them.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Last month I got a patch from Sammy for my s7e. I still miss having root on it though. I'm surprised when I do see an OTA update on this aging device that's for sure.

Reactions: 5105973

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
She is definitely not bitter as she's also an Android user. You should show more respect.
[doublepost=1553392866][/doublepost]Apple fans use that type of argument t to justify their purchase,when there's nothing else that can justify the cost of the iPhone they go to the "updates cycle" argument.

Reactions: 5105973

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Thank you. Yes I meant to give a positive comment. I think it got mis read as sarcasm though. Oops!
I'm sure he just wanted to get on an argument. Your comment was clearly not sarcasm and was totally on point with the OP thread.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My husband’s note 8 is on the March 2019 update and got the android pie update a few weeks ago. Definitely an improvement.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

-Bob Dylan
There’s no misunderstanding. Samsung has been behaving better since last year, but that’s not a compliment imo. For the price we are paying for Samsung devices, the longer support should be expected. Samsung gets the most profit amongst other Android OEMs, so they have the resources to do so, especially when more resource constrained companies can provide updates (OnePlus, Nokia, Xiaomi, etc).

And it’s more unacceptable for security patches to be delivered late. Why? Because Google actually gave these patches to OEMs a month in advance. These companies can churn out new devices every 6 months, yet cannot even push security patch in a timely basis? It’s embarassing. My Galaxy A5 (2017) just received the 2019 February security patch. Better than nothing, I guess, but I do have higher expectation for Samsung considering the prices they’re charging.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
She is definitely not bitter as she's also an Android user. You should show more respect.
[doublepost=1553392866][/doublepost]Apple fans use that type of argument t to justify their purchase,when there's nothing else that can justify the cost of the iPhone they go to the "updates cycle" argument.
When you think about it both platforms receive about the same amount of support. On Android, core apps are updated via the Google Play Store usually for around 6-7 yrs. Apple does it differently by updating it’s core apps via a firmware update and iOS core apps get around 5-7 yrs as well.

The advantage one gets with Android is that typically 3 party apps will get support long after the device’s OS is no longer supported. So basically it’s a wash when one considers LTS for either iOS or Android.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.