Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaurentR2D2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Paris - France
Hello,

I have a Samsung ML-2160 and an iMac 2020 with Mac OS Big Sur. I have downloaded an universal driver from here :

The driver installation went fine and my printer is seen in the system preferences panel :

Capture d’écran 2021-10-05 à 11.13.50.png

When I try to print a document, I get a "filter failed" error and when I look in the console, I see this error message :

erreur 00:11:51.334532+0200 sandboxd Sandbox: rastertosec(3993) deny(1) sysctl-write kern.system_version_compat
Violation: deny(1) sysctl-write kern.system_version_compat
Process: rastertosec [3993]
Path: /Library/Printers/Samsung/UPD/Filters/rastertosec
Load Address: 0x100000000
Identifier: rastertosec
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: x86_64 (Native)
Parent Process: cupsd [3872]
Responsible: /usr/sbin/cupsd
User ID: 26

I've read in a forum that it could be a Big Sur security problem and that I should for sign "rastertosec" in the preferences pane, but I don't understand how to do that.

I've tried to launch "rastertosec" and "prefilter", but I get these error messages :

rastertosec :

ERROR: rastertopcl job-id user title copies options [file]

prefilter :

ERROR: unable to open print file "SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.CIYmwBTWR3/Listeners" - No such file or directory

Is there something else I can do to solve my problem ? I'd like to avoid to be obliged to buy a new printer, since I've just bought a new Samsung toner cartridge :)

Thank you

johncurle

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2021
Did you try selecting the driver for the ML-2060? I've seen where some users had luck with that on printers that were abandoned, driver-wise, by HP/Samsung.
I had exactly the same problem. Using the ML-2060 driver worked for me, too. Great tip. Thank you.

laira

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2021
I have the same problem, but I don`t find the drivers for ML-2060 in driverfresh and other websites... could you post the link to the driver?

abclike123

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2021
I have the same problem, but I don`t find the drivers for ML-2060 in driverfresh and other websites... could you post the link to the driver?
Download the Samsung Universal Print Driver…

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I was assuming that the above users were just selecting the ML-2060 (where the new printer setup says "Use") when adding the printer.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I upgraded my Mac Pro 2010 to High Sierra, and it's really messed up my connection to a few peripherals. One being the Samsung ML-2160. Luckily I found this site to be able to install the driver. When I downloaded the Universal Installer, I noticed 3 different folders. MAC_Data, MAC_ICDM, and MAC_Printer. I presumed I needed to use the installer in the MAC_Printer folder. I did an Uninstall, thinking it would uninstall the old driver I was using under 10.11.x. Then I used the Printer Driver.pkg. Everything looked like it installed ok. When the window came up to "Add Printer", only the Samsung ML-2160 Series driver showed up. I checked the other drivers that were available, and ML-2060 was not there. I tried using the next model (ML-2240). But that didn't work either. Then I noticed a Samsung M2060 (not ML-2060) driver a little further up on the list. So I decided to give that one a go. And it looks like that one worked for me. So far so good. Not having issues printing from my ML-2160.

Thanks for the link to the Universal Driver. I would have not known to look for that. I kept going to the Samsung site. Which was not helpful at all.

Reactions: satcomer

2PannaCotta

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2022
I upgraded my Mac Pro 2010 to High Sierra, and it's really messed up my connection to a few peripherals. One being the Samsung ML-2160. Luckily I found this site to be able to install the driver. When I downloaded the Universal Installer, I noticed 3 different folders. MAC_Data, MAC_ICDM, and MAC_Printer. I presumed I needed to use the installer in the MAC_Printer folder. I did an Uninstall, thinking it would uninstall the old driver I was using under 10.11.x. Then I used the Printer Driver.pkg. Everything looked like it installed ok. When the window came up to "Add Printer", only the Samsung ML-2160 Series driver showed up. I checked the other drivers that were available, and ML-2060 was not there. I tried using the next model (ML-2240). But that didn't work either. Then I noticed a Samsung M2060 (not ML-2060) driver a little further up on the list. So I decided to give that one a go. And it looks like that one worked for me. So far so good. Not having issues printing from my ML-2160.

Thanks for the link to the Universal Driver. I would have not known to look for that. I kept going to the Samsung site. Which was not helpful at all.
God bless you! Worked for me too. Thanks so much.

jdevoto

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2022
Did you try selecting the driver for the ML-2060? I've seen where some users had luck with that on printers that were abandoned, driver-wise, by HP/Samsung.
You are the man!!! I've struggled with this all day until I found this reply. Big thanks!

Nibblonian

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2022
Planet Eternium

I'm on a 2020 13" MBP, Monterey (12.3.1). I found that this Samsung Universal Driver link indicated Monterey and earlier compatibility: https://www.samsung-driver.org/2022/05/samsung-universal-print-driver-mac.html

But like you and others, when I chose the ML-2160, it didn't work. I have a Windows VM installed on my Mac, so I ended up installing the Win10 driver on the VM. That worked (oddly enough), so I thought I'd search one more time for the macOS solution and came across this forum post and your suggestion to use the M2060 driver. It worked! Who woulda thunk!?

I too registered here just so I could say thanks!

Reactions: gslrider

Xanny

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009

I have an M1 MacBook Air and I have a Samsung SCX-4263 Print & Scan. After Installing Samsung Universal Drivers, I did what you mentioned and I tried looking for the ML-2060 driver too but couldn't find it. I installed the ML-2160 driver but it only let me use the scanner and printing gave the "Filter Failed" error. But then your post saved me! I installed the M2060 driver and now print and scan both work great! Thank you! Wanted to posting this here so it may help others!

Reactions: gslrider

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I'm on a 2020 13" MBP, Monterey (12.3.1). I found that this Samsung Universal Driver link indicated Monterey and earlier compatibility: https://www.samsung-driver.org/2022/05/samsung-universal-print-driver-mac.html

But like you and others, when I chose the ML-2160, it didn't work. I have a Windows VM installed on my Mac, so I ended up installing the Win10 driver on the VM. That worked (oddly enough), so I thought I'd search one more time for the macOS solution and came across this forum post and your suggestion to use the M2060 driver. It worked! Who woulda thunk!?

I too registered here just so I could say thanks!
Glad I could help!

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I have an M1 MacBook Air and I have a Samsung SCX-4263 Print & Scan. After Installing Samsung Universal Drivers, I did what you mentioned and I tried looking for the ML-2060 driver too but couldn't find it. I installed the ML-2160 driver but it only let me use the scanner and printing gave the "Filter Failed" error. But then your post saved me! I installed the M2060 driver and now print and scan both work great! Thank you! Wanted to posting this here so it may help others!
You're absolutely welcome. Happy to help. I hate having to decommission perfectly good things (like a printer), just because newer drivers aren't supported anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.