Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Samsung ML-1710 Laser Printer
Samsung 1710 Product Link

Reviews:

No specific reviews, another MacRumors reader actually recommended this product to me. I'll add his comments in the replies.

Features/Needs:

I personally was looking for a printer to replace an Epson 880 Color Inkjet printer for general text printing. I found I used the printer mostly for text pages... not color.

So, I was looking for something that was relatively inexpensive overall, but an overall improvement in terms of text quality and speed than my Epson.

Also, after coming from a InkJet printer, I realized that cost of supplies was important as well.

Mac OS X compatability was a must.

Other Products

I looked over HP's Laser Printer offerings -- unfortunately, they don't offer their low-end Laser Printers as Mac-compatible printers. So, I was eyeballing the mid-range printers ($300-$500) -- mostly because I didn't have a feel for what I needed.

What finally pushed me over the edge was the inexpensive price of the Samsung ($199 before $70 rebate), and the relatively inexpensive cost of toner carts. $70 for 3000 page toner.

Am I Happy?

Yep - very happy. The only thing perhaps is that the printer is a bit loud. But speed-wise, it's much speedier than the Epson, and works very well. No complaints. The ink-saver option extends your toner life and doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference in quality.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Kwyjibo wrote:

I bought this printer about two weeks ago at pcnation.com It was $130 after rebates but hey i'm happy. I've printed about fifty or so pages with it and the work is top notch. The jaguar driver doesn't come on the install disc but you can download it from samsung. The driver works well in jaguar (not in panther yet tho...) I've printed from Word, Preview, Excel, Elements 2.0...all work fine. The graphics are the same as any low-budget laser printer but I purchased mine as a text workhorse not to make fake ids or diplomas. After the printer warms up it is fast. If you want to cancel a job you'll probably have to start all over (you can't easily cancel one page in print center which is what it runs thru) you have to hit the cancel button. Toner Saver Mode is nice i think but i haven't burned thru a cartridge nor do i exepct to this soon. The printer is a little noisy when started up but relaitvely quiet once on. For a hundred bucks its a great document printer and from what I can tell its reliable design. The only thing I can't seem to do yet is print on note-cards...even thru the manual feeder it. I read the CNet review and it was a rave

http://view.atdmt.com/ACN/iview/cnt...ct;wi.728;hi.90/01/2003.08.01.05.18.55?click=

Things to notice
-Other low end laser printers don't have paper trays this one does so you can store like 250 sheets which is nice
-You need to buy a USB cable
-Cool Manual Feeder so you don't have to mess with the tray for those once in a while envelopes or legal sized paper
-"trial" toner is for 1000 pages real toner is about 70 bucks which is almost the cost of the printer and should make about 3000 pages...more with toner saver on.
- no parallel port , not that it matters to mac people but someone people may want it on their PC
-Majority of mac-related complaints seem to be with the jag. driver and having to download it but its not hard and even tho its probably not as nice as the PC driver it works for me.
-You get an extra three months on your warranty if you fill out their survey
-The body is lightweight and it can slide around when doing simple task like opening the tray, a flat surface and two hands make it easy to do tho

If i think of anything else i'll add it later. I plan to take this along with my 12" powerbook to college. Right now its sitting on top of my sub.... finding a good spot for it is important too...

And there were some other pleased customers in this thread

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I also have this printer, I recommended it to arn and love it. I also found the CNET reviews on this printer and they loved it. that helped my choice

to arn: samsung's site is funky, you need to goto samsungusa.com to see all thep roducts avaible on the american market
better link to printer

krionik

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2003
Panther Printing works with Puma Driver

Howdy -

I got this printer to work under Panther using the Puma Driver -

My configurations
PB AL G4 12" 867/256 - Panther
iMacFP 15" 800/512 - Panther

Both over USB and OS X printer sharing.

Step 1:
delete folder: macintosh hd/library/printers/samsung

Step 2:
delete receipt for Samsung:
macintosh hd/library/receipts/Samsung Driver Installer.pkg

Download PUMA driver
http://www.samsungprinter.com

Follow the links to: _ML-1710 - Mac SECOSXdriverV1.0.sit

Download and install driver

Add printer in System Preferences as before.

Of course, just because this worked for me does not mean it will work for you - so be careful - back stuff up and if it breaks, it's your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.